Trailer Trash

What about Wednesdalies? (Read 17 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Screwed up and splet in since the rain is coming and may have been my last chance this week for a dry run.  May run at lunch...called a friend waiting on her answer.

QOTD:  The other day we had a question about spouses running or their own activities.  Today's question is how do your spouses support your running.  My DH is a hit and miss guy..bragging at times and getting pissed about all the running at other times.  He never goes to my races but than I wouldn't expect someone to stand around for 5 to 6 hours to see me cross a finish line.  A friend asked him if he was going to my 50 mile run and his response was "No, I was never asked."  So maybe I should ask???

AT:  This question does not apply to you and Jess. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

been elk hunting in over a foot of snow; you think you're in decent shape until climbing a steep grade in 12+" of snow with a 25-ish lb pack on- and then you find out you're not in that great of shape 

I've been into elk Monday and Tuesday, saw two legal bulls (brow tined) on Monday, but couldn't close in on them- played cat and mouse with several cows trying to sneak around, hiked 9-ish miles that day; yesterday I had to climb higher to find them, again got close into elk, but no legal bull showed his face-just under 7 miles and about 1500' of gain.  If this unit was open to cows or spikes, I'd be hauling meat out.  Going to try and give it a go this after/evening- give my legs a little break.  It feels like I've run two tough 50k's back to back- dead legs!

Oh and both days when I left the truck the temp was 2 F- just to add to the fun!

qotd:  my wife is supported of my running, she's turns out for a few races- I don't put any pressure on her to go to the races.  we've actually been hiking quite a bit together of late after work (along with Tiny Elvis), which has been fun.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

I checked in late today , and looks like I'm actually early.

Got up and ran 4 mies on road before work. It was cold and glorious (sorry FTYC). I love cold weather running.

No run yesterday after marathon at dentist. I was there for 4 1/2 hours. Most of that was waiting for work to be done and crown to be made, and then one crown broke as they were doing a test fit (before they fired it to make it strong). That delayed things further. I was not a happy camper, but all done with dental work for a while.

Queen - yes, ask him, he might like it. Jess said she'd never run farther than a 5k until she crewed for me and was hooked. Now she has a 110 mile distance PR.

Warden - there's'that typical selfie smile we all love so much.

QOTD:  See above. Before DW ran ultra's, she luckily still supported me because she knew running was my "mental therapy" time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Easy 1 mile last night.  My legs are pretty good, just a tiny bit sore. We shall see what I will run tonight.

QOTD: So DW has seen me finish my first marathon many years ago but apart from that, no.  I don't ask.  With three kids and lots of time in between start/finish or aid stations - there is no way they would survive - someone would be killing someone else.  But my race Sunday was interesting.  I got to thinking about this question because I saw a female runner with her husband and four young kids.  The oldest couldn't have been older than 5.  I so wanted to ask the husband why he was there with 4 kids waiting for his wife.  She came in shortly after me so 8+ hours.  I saw the husband and kids at the halfway point but 4 hours in between each.  Brave man! I would like to have my DW there but I don't feel like she would enjoy it and I would not enjoy knowing she was not enjoying it.  Plus she gets lost easily and I would be worried about her trying to navigate as she is trying to find aid stations.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Not sure if I'll get in a run or not, but it's most likely not at this point.  Worked last night at my part time job and just crawled out of bed. Now I'm getting ready to head out for some hunting adventures .  If I do run it will be in the dark, but will most likely just be an elliptical workout again.

Warden - That reminds me of the days when I had a decent area to hunt in and could actually stalk the deer. Got skunked most of the time, but it sure was fun.

QOTD:    For the most part yes. Lately she has even been interested in doing some shorter stuff, like doing a 5k when I'm doing a longer distance or doing 6 hours when I'm doing 12 hours.  On top of that she was often traveling with me to the longer events and waiting. I wanted her to get into helping at the aid stations to keep it more interesting for her but she hasn't been interested in that yet.

GC100k

Super cold here this morning. Ran with tights, warmups over tights, two cotton tee shirts, two thick hoodies, a jacket and stocking cap under the hoodies. Managed to stay warm enough.

My wife is the one who got me started running 30 years ago. She has run consistently through all the years and is faster than I am. She has no desire whatsoever to race, track her time and distance, or read or talk about running. I buy her running shoes for her because she has no interest in researching shoes. She thinks it's cool that I race and am into running as a hobby and supports me racing, even though she doesn't really get the point.

LB2

Easy 2 this morning. Legs are feeling fine.

QOTD: She has been to one race, Cottonmouth 100. They were there when I finished. That one was harder than it should have been, another warm one with a multitude of issues along the way. Anyway, I mentioned in passing on Sunday that I may take a break. She was like, "I don't think so. I love that you run them..." Anyway, I found that odd because she will sometimes complain that I run too much, but then she likes to brag sometimes, maybe like Sue's husband. And she chastises me for downplaying my "running accomplishments" when people mention them. However, I just don't really like to talk about running with people who don't run the longer stuff, and I do these things to renew my soul, not to impress or outdo anyone else.

LB2

XtremeTaper

4 miles today with the Lady at the local Sprogels run trail at lunchtime. We took the trail to the end today, meaning we did the half mile loop across the road the goes up/down on a section of real single track trail. Most of this trail is wide, dirt/cinder path. Still I am happy to have it nearby. Sort of brisk and cold, but sunny, and not quite glove weather yet.

QOTD: In my road marathon days my wife often accompanied me to places like VT (Burlington), Boston, Chicago, NYC, even Cape May a few times. But we typically made a weekend out of those trips. She went to JFK50 with me but mostly just for company pre and post race. Longer ultras I don't see the point of her hanging about as crew... I have a running friend who puts up with sort of thing.  I sort of wonder about the ultra-runners who drag their spouse and kids along as crew. I guess if their spouses enjoy it, more power to them, but I sometimes wonder if it gets old for the spouse and/or kids. I get pretty good support for my running hobby. In fact I am often pushed out the door to get the Lady her exercise and get very few complaints about time spent running.

LB - my wife has done the brag thing a few times about me. I always hate that... I am not running long distances to impress anyone. It's sort of like you mention. Something I do for my inner self.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Yesterday after work I didn't have much time, so I did my 5 mi pretty quickly, it was 88 deg.  This morning I did another 5 before work, cool front came thru so it was 60 deg.  Cool temp this morning felt better, but my legs were kinda trashed from the evening before.

mt, nice photos. A frozen smile.

AT, thanks for the link to the story, he's unbelievable!!!

qotd: DW is very supportive, I always tell her she's my biggest fan (of course she's also my only fan). While she is very supportive, she doesn't go to my races except in a blue moon. I ask, but then always point out that she'll probably see me for a total of 5 minutes over the span of a day or so, right about then she usually says "thanks, but no thanks".    However she did come to my last 100 and met me at a few aid stations (along with my DD), she said it was fun.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

Met a friend and ran at the track this morning, not the trail. 4 miles overall, most of it speedwork.. Holy crap that was hard. My legs were a bit tired from some strength work yesterday so tomorrow's run might be interesting.

qotd: He's supportive, but he doesn't come to races and I don't ask. The one exception is an annual beach trip and brewery race each fall, but that is more friends, beer drinking and beach time, than actual racing/spectating.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran my lunchtime five...in a slight drizzle.

LB/XT: My spouse also brings up my running long distances to non runners..its awkward and I really don't want to talk about it.   Now if that other person is a trail runner...let's talk!

AT:  Maybe I should.  The 50 miler had dirt roads connecting to the trail so he could have drove around in the jeep or bike.

Andy:  That's cause you daughter was crewing with her.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Super cold here this morning. Ran with tights, warmups over tights, two cotton tee shirts, two thick hoodies, a jacket and stocking cap under the hoodies. Managed to stay warm enough.

My wife is the one who got me started running 30 years ago. She has run consistently through all the years and is faster than I am. She has no desire whatsoever to race, track her time and distance, or read or talk about running. I buy her running shoes for her because she has no interest in researching shoes. She thinks it's cool that I race and am into running as a hobby and supports me racing, even though she doesn't really get the point.

So she runs and is faster than you but shows none of the "normal" interest in running as others (i.e. buying own running shoes, races, etc.)????

Interesting.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

GC100k

So she runs and is faster than you but shows none of the "normal" interest in running as others (i.e. buying own running shoes, races, etc.)????

Interesting.

Ya, she does it for fun and fitness and that's it. Kinda like someone who walks their dog each evening might not be interested in DogWalkersWorld and DogWalkersWarehouse.com. They might just like to walk their dog. I get way too into it, so we balance each other out. I LOVE shopping for running shoes for her (or me, or our kids).