Trailer Trash

Taper Week when undertrained (Read 36 times)

Ultra Cowboy

Howdy all...

Quick Question....How do you do your taper week when you are undertrained?

Going into a trail Half Marathon where my PR was the week after a 50K, 2 years ago.

I'm on track for a PW.  Longest run in this training cycle was 12.2 miles, and it felt rough.  This will be my sixth year running this race.  I know the course intimately.  I think my best hope is to find someone in my pace group to accompany and just help them finish...

WYBMADIITY

Save

AT-runner

Tim

If you are undertrained, a taper won't make much difference, so just take it easy for 2 days before the race and have fun with it.  Don't sweat the time and just be glad you're out running.  Also don't do anything foolish (like push too hard early on) that might cause any injury.

Have fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I agree w/ AT; get some light running in, some good rest and then have some fun 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

some call me Tim

Yeah, agreed. You don't really need to get that recovery time from a hard training cycle, but keep in mind that training adaptations take a good 2 weeks (at least) to start having an effect. So you can't do any good but can hurt yourself still applies. I think finding another person or two to help and encourage out there is an excellent idea, especially because you know the course so well. Some of my best race experiences I haven't been racing at all, but doing just that. Good luck!

Ultra Cowboy

Thanks...

I'll do a 3 mile easy run tomorrow, and a little shake out on Friday.

WYBMADIITY

Save