Trailer Trash

Thundering Thursday (Read 40 times)

LB2

Four after work, easy.

QOTD: Do you taper for every race? If so, how long for each distance you run?

I usually taper 2 weeks for a 50K and about 3 for anything further than that. I wasn't going to taper for this 50K coming up this weekend at all, but I got sick last week and couldn't run. So, I ended up going to an extreme taper for two weeks during which I have barely run at all. It sucks, but I sure do feel rested. I haven't slept as well as I did last night in months. So, I guess we will see what happens.

LB2

Birdwell

Good morning!

5 a little faster than easy on tap after work.

QOTD: I haven't figured out how to properly taper for any of my races yet, so I've pretty much given up on it for now.

We did a nice 3 mile trail run in crusty refrozen snow and ice. At the end a weird thing happened, Marley and a small deer started playing. The deer seemed to be instigating more than Marley and played rougher. I had to catch up with them and leash her because she uncharacteristically refused to come to get on the leash.

Neither one seemed out for blood and Marley wasn't biting and was apparently not trying to injure the deer. I was concerned that Marley might be hurt though because the deer was using it's front feet and they have sharp hooves. I think this is the fourth time Marley has played with deer but the other times they were babies.

QOTD: I have not been racing much and not long enough distances to taper lately.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning, heading out for a few miles in the sun and snow before the rain sets in. I have not decided yet whether to use snow shoes, or spikes for the run, I'll see what the trails look like when I'm there. 2 feet of snow are sure, but the quality is uncertain. QOTD: I taper for 50k and longer. 2 weeks or some less for 50k and 50M, and 3 weeks for tough 50M and my only 100M have proven to work for me. I run maybe 20 miles in the first week and 15-20 in the second, 15 in the last week, with 3 full days of no running right before the race. For short races where I want to race, not just run, I just stick with the 3 rest days before. If I don't run at all for more days, or reduce my mileage more, I quickly get out of shape, and I lose more than I gain from tapering.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Thawing  here and I can see dirt.  Doesn't matter since I won't be running again today.  But I am planning to go to yoga at lunch.  Knee is feeling much better and I hope to be able to get out for a short run this weekend.  I'm starting to get antsy without running.  The crabbiness hasn't set in, yet, so that's good.

TT- interesting 'game' with Marley and the deer.  All our dogs would have gone for the hunt, but that's a springer for you.

Good luck LB2!

qotd:  not really.  I don't race competitively or run the distances to have it make much of a difference.  I may cut back some the week of, but that is it.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

I didn't run yesterday...no good excuse, especially since the weather was nice.  I'll get it in today.  This is going to be a lower mileage month for me it appears.

QOTD: I taper for everything including 5ks.  I think 10 days is plenty for a 50k and thats when I try to do a nice and easy last long run.  I'm planning on 3 weeks of tapering before Manitou's this summer.

**Ask me about streaking**

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning folks,

I couldn't deal with the cold yesterday morning so I bagged out on a run, I did get

out this morning for a nice 5 miles on the icy roads.

TT: that's pretty cool.

QOTD: I cutback for 2 weeks prior to longer races and typically don't run for 2 days

prior to race day.

Sandy-2

I slept in this morning so I 'll do 4 or 5 after work today.  It should be warm and rainy.  My runs over the last 2 days......  temps were right around 80....   Uuuugh, I'm not ready for that yet.

Here's a fun article.  BTW, I'm in the Hardrock photo, standing all the way to the right in the blue hat.

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/02/of-buffs-lycra-and-being-well-coiffed-tips-for-trail-running-in-switzerland.html

qotd:  Usually cutback the weekly mileage for a 2 week taper.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

muppy

Plan on 6 miles or so after work today.

QOTD for a 50 K I taper for two weeks, for shorter races maybe just a few days, but I do try to run a few faster workouts to keep the speed up.

Daydreamer1

Planning on going to the gym tonight. I'll do speed workouts on the TM. How much and how far depends on how busy the place is. If I get a TM after 8-8:30 the place normally empties out and I can run as long as I want to, otherwise there may be a line and a 30 minute time limit. Also need to get in some strength training.

QOTD: I cut my mileage some but I've never been able to develop a good plan. If I cut mileage too much I lose my fitness.

Hi all,

Getting back into the swing of things this week. Ran a nice tempo run last night, though my 5th tempo mile was garbage thanks to the slick ice/slush covering the roads. Can't wait for the rain to melt all this snow. I'll go out for 5 or 6 easy miles tonight.

QOTD: I always taper. For longer races I tend to do a 3 week taper. For my upcoming half I will probably do 1 week.

Watoni

Hoping for a few miles after work, but primarily a cool hill that kicks my butt and some climbing/vaulting over downed redwoods ...

Been crushed at work and sick so super tired

QOTD: Good question. I train so little tapering is not really a problem ....

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Back from 2.5 hours of snowshoeing. It was very exhausting in the extremely heavy, wet, deep snow, and at times I was about to quit and wait for air rescue to come pick me up. But on the up side, I took full advantage of the last sunny hours before the rain started, it was just a bit breezy on the ridges with gusts up to 30 mph. Just when I got back to my car, it started drizzling. Sandy: fun article, LOL. I follow some European running blogs, and they always crack me up. I enjoy the cultural differences, especially in running.

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

Heading out for 15 in a sunny San Francisco. Will be the first long-ish run in several weeks - travelling, stomach virus and skiing got in the way.

QOTD: I haven't done a "goal race" in many years. When I did (early 2000:s), I would taper for 2 weeks with only very light jogging. The 50k:s I've done the last few years, I've only reduced volume for a few days before since I wanted to use the the races for increasing total volume, not decreasing it.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

jonferg67

Endless trails

Heading out for 15 in a sunny San Francisco. Will be the first long-ish run in several weeks - travelling, stomach virus and skiing got in the way.

I think this qualifys as an oxymoron.