Trailer Trash

Sheepish Thursdaily (Read 30 times)

Sandy-2

Happy "Year of the Sheep" everyone. I did 10 miles up the big hill yesterday and then another 10 along the flat river today.

Hope everyone is staying warm over there.

qotd: I got nothin'.

tbd.

My neck is still sore and I am still experiencing some dizziness, so am taking another rest day.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yesterday was a rest day.  I hope to get out tonight.  Temps should be single digits with a wind chill far below 0.  Should be fun.

TT - take your time and be smart about coming back.

From DC's Thursdailey: Qotd:  Got to thinking about that Boulder runner that went missing the other day.  And of course, TT's concussion.  Do you do regularly take any safety precautions when heading out on the trails alone?  I'm not so good about this.  Sometimes I tell DH where I'm going, but oftentimes I just assume he has an idea when I say 'going out for a run'.  I'm now wearing a Road ID all the time because I would always forget to put it on after taking it off.  I usually have my cell with me, but yesterday the cold sapped the battery and it wouldn't work until it warmed up so it was useless.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

DC - great question.  I was thinking about this the other day.  I used to be pretty dumb about this.  I would hit some remote trails that have no cell service and not tell DW where I was going --only that I would be out for a few hours.  Now I always take my cell phone when on trails and if I go somewhere that does not have service, I leave a written description of where I am running and what time she should get worried if I am not back.

The reality is we always take a chance when we run trails.  It's not out of the question to trip and hit our noggin's on ice or a rock -- serious enough to knock us out.  (I am pushing for state law in PA for helmets for all trail runners since there are no such things as trails without rocks here!).

But the reality also is that it is more likely to get hit by a car running roads than to trip and hit head against rock.

runtraildc

Morning folks!  It's thursday so it must be a yoga day for me.  I might get in a quick couple of miles on the treadmill before class though.  The wind has returned, so the idea of running in it doesn't sound that appealing.  And yes, Harrier, I'm whining.

But the reality also is that it is more likely to get hit by a car running roads than to trip and hit head against rock.

Absolutely agree!  But then I start thinking, if I'm in a car accident, someone will likely be on the scene asap (at least in these parts).  Finding me on the trail is more of a crapshoot.  A sunny spring day, probably not long before a dog and it's owner find me.  Other times, it could be a while, maybe too long.

LB2

I will get out for at least 4 after work, maybe 6... We'll see.

QOTD: Are you focusing on anything in particular in your training right now a little more than other areas?

Right now, I am focusing on patience. I have a new route that I have been running that is very difficult. It is a six mile loop with lots of mud and some areas that are very thick with brush that cause me to have to walk. I have tried to decrease my time on this loop, and the quickest I have been able to run it is 1:00:58. I don't guess that is too bad, but I hope to get it down to around 50 minutes or less.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Can't do it, I am a wimp. No running as it is -11 with a good wind. It's just one of those weeks.So more time on the elliptical. Yay.  Could be worse I suppose as it's -26 up at my cabin. Just the temp w/o the chill factor. Crap, that's chilly.

The other news to report as the pup in my avatar has to meet Kevorkian in the morning. Couple weeks ago I was thinking this boy is immortal. At 14 still sharp, happy, somewhat athletic but the wheels have just come off. Ruptured spleen, cancer, body filling up with fluids, going downhill at warp speed. He's been a wonder dog and I'm pretty mopey.

QOTD--Once in awhile I tell DW where I'm going and if I'm running long. Not often, she just knows that I am running somewhere. Even on my wilderness adventures I only give her the trailhead or lake entry info and on what day I plan on getting out. Once I am back in the wilds my route is always fluid. Never a rigid structured route and no contact. Free and untethered. Sometimes getting back out on a canoe trip can be questionable if you are on a schedule as I have been windbound in big country a few times including a couple trips where she has been along. So I'm not even sure at what point she would start to worry or call the authorities as this is how things have been for decades together.

E/A-- answering DC's original question, missed LB's.

AT-runner

Tim

Wimped out this morning due to -15* wind chill and ran on TM.

Had 2 cortisone shots in right shoulder on Tuesday.  Looks like surgery at some time for rotator cuff partial tear and torn labrum.  Sounds like I pulled a Mandy on my shoulder with my superman fall last year.   If I can hold off until June, that's the plan.

QOTD #1 - I was better about this in the past.  I used to always let DW know where I was parking and what trails (or area) I would be running.  Lately, I've changed my mind way too often on the way to the trail head and ended up in another area entirely.  I need to do better!

QOTD #2 - Been doing better with tempo runs and have mixed in a few interval days.  I have no problem running long, but for some reason shorter tempo runs are my weakness.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Sorry Boyjame: I did not see your QOTD...

QOTD 1: I generally let my wife or someone know where I will be. Most of the time, I run a loop right outside my door, but I have tended to wander a bit lately.

LB2

muppy

Harrier, so sorry to hear about your puppy that just sucks! When I had to do it a little while ago, I had to remind myself that it's better than letting them be in pain.

6.1 road miles last night as it started to snow.

QOTD 1 Sadly I don't usually let anybody know where I am, and I always think about getting one of those road IDs but I never get around to it.

QOTD 2 All I'm concentrating on now is just slow and easy miles to safely build  back up.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

NH - so sorry to hear this.  Dogs (and other pets I suppose) have a special way of creating a bond with us.  It is a unique experience to know you have to put your dog down.  Afterall, we don't do this with our kids.

LB2

NH: I am sorry to hear about your dog, too. On the bright side, it seems that he has enjoyed just about every moment of his life and only got down at the very end. But I know it is a tough thing to deal with. Pets are truly part of the family.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Harrier, I'm so sorry to hear about Otto.  I know you gave him a great life. He will know he is very loved.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Ouch, AT! Don't ever pull a Mandy...always ends badly!! I hope surgery goes well.

Going hiking today, although I'm not sure where. I'll try to update my photos thread if I get anything good.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I celebrated national wine day yesterday and feel like shit today!   If I work 4 hours and 15 minutes I get paid for the full day...so putting in the time then heading home for a nap.  Maybe get a run after that...hopeful.

QOTD#1:  I take no precautions, no id, no phone (except on long runs for pictures), and no one knows where I am.  Not the smartest move.  When I am in Mexico I carry my name and my parents address there just in case I get hit by a car or die. 

QOTD#1: Nope...just running and poorly at that.

Boyjame:  I got a little confused with your cut and paste of a females QOTD from DC.  I was like Jame is gay?  He has a husband...    and your joke about a law requiring us to wear a helmet isn't that funny and may happen to us at some point...seems like the law makers think their job is to keep us safe because we are too stupid to take care of ourselves.

Northern:  Sorry about your pup... 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄