Trailer Trash

Mountain Madness 50k RR (Jamezilla's) (Read 37 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Going to try and keep this brief...

The race was held at Ringwood Park in NJ (just South of the NY border).  I live near there, I've been there, I had run 80% of the course before, I knew what I was getting into.  I had decided to do this race months ago when I found out there was a 50k in my "backyard", which had the added benefit of opening up a new park for me to run in.  Every time I run at Ringwood I leave thinking "boy those trails are tougher than I remember" and yesterday was not an exception.

Miles 1-20

After the first 6 miles I stopped leap frogging with most people and I was pretty much on my own.  The first 22 were really uneventful but enjoyable running.  I saw JByram2 on the out and back section of the trail, who appeared to be moving well...we bumped bottles and kept it moving.  The out and back was "action packed" as far as seeing people on the trail (the trail was busy with pedestrians/50k/25k).

Miles 20-24

I was moving really well and felt full of energy when out of nowhere I started feeling a sharp pain in my left foot (between big toe and second toe bones on the forefoot).  Eventually I stopped and massaged the area, which helped for about a half a mile.  I walked some but mostly ran through this section.  I would be passing my car at mile 24 and I was seriously considering just dropping at  this point.

Miles 24-31

Left the last aid station knowing there were only 7 miles to go.  When I started the race my game plan was to just get through the first 24 miles and crank it up during the last 7.  That didn't happen.  I walked and ran.  My legs weren't beat yet, but my feet and ankles were hurting.  I hated every step of those miles and I just wanted to be done.  I looked at my watch and figured out that I could probably beat 6:30 if I pushed a little.  I ran the last 1/2 mile and ended up crossing in 6:29Tight lippedx.

Take-aways

-Ringwood park hurts.  I consider myself someone who likes running on rocks, but I've never taken such a beating to the feet/ankles.  The whole entire course was rocks, not exaggerating.

-I'm glad I didn't sign myself up for a technical/difficult 50 miler...covering the distance will be enough of a challenge without a ton of elevation/technical terrain.

-Get back to the core workouts...my back and sides are much more sore this time than last time.

-I can tough out 11 miles if I need to

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Congrats! Great job toughing it out. That's what ultra running is all about.

Daydreamer1

Good Job. I looked up the race on line and it looks like a lot of small rocks. I can see how that would beat up your feet. A 6:29 finish is pretty good.

Now you can recover for several days and then sign up for Blues Cruise this coming weekend Smile.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, and congratulations on your finish.  Having a car parked at mile 24 = dangerous;  not DNF'ing = priceless.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Nice job for finishing when it got tough, congrats!

Hope the toe thing gets better!

Birdwell

Nice work. I like your last take away the best.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Take care of your feet.  You kind of need them for running.  BTW - you did end up signing up for Stone Mill 50 right?  Not too many rocks there - you should kill it.

Congrats!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

Congrats!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, nice work toughing it out and getting the courage to run most of that last section!

Run for fun.

DigDug2

Nice race, Jamezilla - course sounds rough, good job toughing it out.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Great job there, James. 6:anything is a great time on that despicable course.

Day dreamer. there are a lot of small rocks, lots of big ones too, with solid rock ridgelines on occasion.   and just enough dirt single track to let you relax and trip on the one lonely root sticking up all by itself.

I'll get my act together and finish start writing my RR.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Low_O2

Nice job! Sounds like a tough course. I am always amazed how the core strength comes into play more and more as the trail gets more technical. Seems my core is the weak link when I run a technical trail after being off them for a while.

I'm curious if you think the foot issues were related to your shoe choice or just a result of not being used to the rocky trail. What shoes were you wearing?

LB2

Way to go. I understand you being happy that you didn't sign up for the 50 miler, but if you had signed up for it, you would have made the mental adjustments to deal with it. I don't think anything hurts any worse after 50K; it just hurts the same for a longer time.

LB2

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Laceup, muppy, dd2, brian, couch - thanks for the congrats...I admit that not having to write about a DNF was part of my motivation to keep moving so thanks as always for reading.

AT- I didn't mentally prep for going by the car...dangerous indeed

Dd1- I'm not sure where they got those pictures on the website.  As byram said, there were rocks of all types.

Birdwell- me too!

Byram- good seeing you out there...can't wait to hear your take on the day.

Boyjame- yes signed up for stone mill 50...I feel like I have some work to do.

Low o2- good question.  I wore inov8 245s which have pretty minimal padding + a rock plate.  I run 60% of the time in vffs on concrete and I was formerly under the impression that my feet were hardened to handle whatever. This is something I will have to figure out for next year...but my thought right now is that I need some padding.

LB2- I'm signed up for Stone Mill 50 miler in November.  I decided to do it because "everyone else is doing it".  Knowing me, if I would have been left to my own devices I would have picked something known for being difficult (which I now believe would have been a huge mistake). I don't anticipate my feet getting beat up so bad at SM50.

**Ask me about streaking**

RabbitChaser

Congratulations! Great job toughing it out finishing under 6:30. I hope your feet/ankle issues resolve themselves quickly.  Thanks for sharing the report.

Eric