Trailer Trash

Laurel Highlands 2015 Race Report (Read 38 times)

XtremeTaper

Laurel Highlands Ultra 2015

I've always thought of the Laurel Highlands Ultra as the race that defines me as an ultra runner. Prior to my first race here in 2008, I had run a few ultras, paced at a 100 miler, but this race felt like the real deal in terms of stepping it up as an ultra runner. 70+ miles of point to point single track trail in early summer on a beautiful but rather difficult trail. I've ran and finished it 5 times now counting this year. I always have an urge to go back.

2008 - The Physical Grafitti year, ran 16:11 on a humid day with battered blistered duct taped feet

2009 - Xtreme pacer year, ran 17:55 in a support/pacer role with a friend from the forum lands

2010 - Missed the race, nephews wedding

2011 - Missed the race, recovering from meniscus repairs

2012 - Back in action but as a relay runner since I was not in shape for the ultra

2013 - Rebirth year.. proved to myself that I am back from 2 years of struggles. Finish in 16:48.

2014 - Moving ahead... a good race but maybe that's as good as it gets? Finish in 16:27

2015 - ???

This year I had an uninterrupted training cycle if you call what I do training anymore. I just go run. Try to run on a daily basis. Mix in longs runs now and then (long run to me is 3+ hours) with a more serious focus on long runs in the months leading up to the race. No organized speed work... just miles on the trail, faster runs now and then on certain routes when it feels right, and that is it. My mileage had been good. Many 60+, a few 70+, and even one 80+ mile week. Heck I even won a 12 hour race (small field) covering about 58 miles on an easy trail route in the FL heat this past April. So I felt pretty confident that I was going to have a good shot at my PR from 2008 which I considered a tad soft even though it was seven years ago. I was more speedy back then but maybe I am smarter now.

Once again my partner in crime and former Laurel Highlands champion joined me as crew for my little adventure. We discussed rogue waves, swarms of insects, our clubbing history during the roaring 80's and 90's, listened to the new Royal Blood album, and also made a rather introspective stop at the Flight 93 Memorial. I've driven out here many times but never stopped at the memorial. It's a big open place and just thinking of the bravery and heroic efforts of those passengers makes one proud. It had to be done, they did the job and saved our country from further damage that day. Seeing all the photos and trinkets left by the wall of heroes made me teary eyed. Running an ultra tomorrow is nothing.

I did not worry too much about the weather though it was very hot on the drive over to Western PA. The car thermometer read 90 degrees for the most part with the exception of a couple summer storms we drove through, where it would temporarily cool off before climbing again. Race day was forecast for high 70's, high humidity, and 50% chance of thunder showers. Pretty good actually considering it was 90+ the day before. Arriving in Johnstown we headed to the check-in/pasta feed. I was happy to see the only sign on display is a plain white banner with an image of rolling mountains and the words "Laurel Highlands Ultra"… nary a sponsor to be seen. The trail and the race speak for itself. Nothing else is needed.

We woke up to a morning of light rain and a disappointing time in the latrine. I gave Angus my race plan with estimated section splits and an aggressive finish time of 15:45. The main goal was a PR.. an added bonus would be to run under 16 hours. I told Angus my strategy consisted of:

1) Running the race shirtless

2) Holding it together better in the final sections

3) Try some ultra running crack called Tailwind which I packed in white baggies to resemble a two finger bag of coke (I had used it during my last 3 long training runs)

Ok. Let's get on the trail.

Section1 - 19.3 miles (projected 3:55, actual 4:08:13)

While not hot the humidity is off the charts. A few miles in and my shorts are soaked as if I've been swimming, my glasses are sweaty and fogged up and I am having difficulty seeing the contours of the trail. Still, I am feeling good and am making a nice pace down the easier portions of trail. I am so glad that part of my strategy was to run shirtless this year. No need to worry about wearing a sweaty rag and one less chafing spot to be concerned about. The first 8 miles contain the biggest climbs of the course. A serious combination of ups and downs to get things started. The last of the three big climbs is 1.5 miles up to the summit and you just bear down with everyone else and hike it up. Some good hikers and one dude with a foreign accent and bright yellow shirt calls me "buddy" as he passes me by... excuse me buddy or nice work buddy or something like that. I try not to be pissed off but this guy hit me on the first hill too. Yes, I suck at hiking, but I can run. Towards the top of the climb I can hear the rustling of a breeze up on the ridge line but once on top it's really not much of a relief from the humidity. There is an intermediate aid station just past mile 11 and Angus is there to replenish my electrolyte drink as I grab a few snacks. I get out of there quickly and head down the trail scarfing a slice of pbj. I follow-up that up with a gel and nearly gag. Ech... too much at the same time but I'm trying to avoid the 20 mile bonk from last year.

I head on down the trail not feeling that great… sort of off. My belly is rumbling and I'm attempting to ignore it but the ignore it part only lasts a few miles. I start spying places to peel off the trail. Pass one forest road crossing and another but keep putting it off. I pass who I will call smiling white shirt man... a guy who just seems so happy and friendly. Shortly thereafter I finally decide that's it, my streak is over. You see I've run marathons and ultras now for over a decade and have never had the call of the bear... the point where you have no choice to hit the woods and take care of business. So this is a first for me this year. I branch off on one of the forest service roads, find a spot well off trail and do what needs to be done. Back on trail I feel better but not great and it seems the mile posts are taking longer to arrive than earlier in the race. I know I'm well behind when I hit the first checkpoint, seeing that I wanted to be 4 hours or less for this section.

Section2 - 13 miles (projected 2:45, actual 2:53:13)

I see Angus again and he reloads my handheld bottles, I drink a bit, eat a bit and head down the trail. I mention to him that my race has literally gone in the crapper. Being the trail fool that he is he congratulates me on my experience. I'm still feeling pretty rough here in the belly and I come across the white shirt runner again. Guess what… I pass him as he hikes a climb but a mile or so later I'm fast tracking into the woods again. Not one, but two experiences here to relish. I take a deep breath, pause, think maybe that's it and back to the trail again. Still 3 or 4 miles to go until the marathon point at Seven Springs. I pop a salt tab and decide maybe an advil will do some good so add one of those to the mix… the trail running druggie. Hey, I have a bag of Tailwind crack in my pocket too. In the next few miles my stomach settles down and other than an incident with a tree snagging my glasses and causing me a short delay I make it to the intermediate aid station at Seven Springs ski resort in good spirits. Some ice cold coke and a freeze pop to go and I'm back on the trail.

I sort of like the way the thick forest canopy hides one from exposure in this race but running through the open portions of the ski resort is pretty pleasant today with the cloud cover. I'm feeling pretty good now and back in the game. I catch up to the white shirted man and we discuss how both our days have been going and I head on down the trail after a few minutes. The lead 50k runner goes blazing by me here around mile 28. Man he was flying. I had a 2 hour head start on him and there he goes. Never seen a 50k runner here before which makes me wonder about my time. Still I am feeling great and the section here has some nice up hills and better yet some nice down hills. I am moving again and am energized. There are a couple of major road crossings here and the first one I pause to see a car go by and get honked at and dang if it isn't my crew extraordinaire just driving along after his gourmet lunch up at Seven Springs. What sort of coincidence is that? Anyway I give him a wave and make my way down the trail. It's still a mile or two to the next checkpoint. I clock in feeling great and excited to be racing again.

Section3 - 14.1 miles (projected 3:25, actual 3:26:34)

This has always been a rough section for me. It's not mountainous by any means, but the first 7 miles seem to have a lot of grinders followed by some rocky technical terrain and the final 7 just confound me for the most part. Not any big hills that I can recollect, but just a lot of technical rock hopping and picking your way down the trail. I was feeling pretty energized though having bounced back from the GI distress and so was in a good frame of mind. The sun was popping out now and then during this section but it was still not overly hot. Given the humidity though it really didn't matter. It still felt sticky and warm. I managed to pick off a few runners here while making my way towards the intermediate aid station. Some big patches of mountain laurel here but the thicker and more spectacular stuff was in the later sections. I was happy to see it blooming this year as the past 2 years the blooms have been unseasonably late.

After the intermediate aid station at mile 39 I was alone picking my way down the trail for a long time. I eventually stumbled across a cute young relay runner who was up to some shenanigans on her mobile device. Apparently giving her team her approximate location or something. We were just heading into the tricky and dark portion of the course under thick hemlocks where the trail twists right and left abruptly and other trails cut in. I told her to be careful and pay attention here and since I was being cautious here myself she had someone to follow. I think she wanted me to pace her to the next checkpoint (I just need 15 minute mile pace she said) but I just forged ahead at my own pace. I felt like I was doing pretty good here and was at the checkpoint just before 4pm... 5.5 hours for a trail marathon on tired legs and a sub16 and PR is mine. I thought I was done earlier but I'm back in it.

Section4 - 10.7 miles (projected 2:30, actual 2:29:46)

This section starts with a steady but not awful climb then rolls up and down through a series of hills. The trail is not very technical here and good time can be made on the flatter portions and descents. It is one of the longer sections without aid however. Like last year Angus decided to run this portion with me again, doing an out/back run. So I had some company and had to man up and not run like a slacker. I had a brief discussion with Angus in regards to this Tailwind product. Granted I wasn't bonking but I figured the name must have been some practical joke by the product's creator as it indeed caused some gas, wind, and other things to explode from my behind. Tailwind indeed.

We came upon the foreign accented yellow shirted man here during the first climb out of the checkpoint. I didn't recall seeing him since the first part of the course. He must have lingered at the last aid station as he hiked by me up the first hill in this section. He made some crackpot comment about Angus's shoes, a pair of Innov8's, warning that those shoes cause Achilles issues. It sort of cracked us up, considering Angus has worn these shoes for many years now and in fact won this race wearing the same shoes! I was informed I needed to take this dude down, and once we finished the hike up the first climb I went to town running on the next downhill. He caught me again though on the second uphill but towards the end of that climb when the grade lessened I resumed running and passed him for good. I was running very well during this section, still pausing to hike most of the up hills but running up a few as well. This is a gorgeous section with rolling mountain views and huge swaths of blooming mountain laurel but for the most part my focus was on running and the next mile post. I picked off several runners here and seeing someone up ahead really helped keep me in focus and moving along. I knew I had a goal of 2:30 for this section and that would put me in the final section with 3 hours to go to break 16, and in good range for a PR. Angus turned back with about a half mile to go, to head back to the car so he could meet me at the finish. A pretty good section for me but I was parched and out of fluids by the end. A few runners around me were as well. We all wanted ice and something cold to drink at the aid station.

Section5 - 13.4 miles (projected 3:10, actual 3:08:46)

The great volunteers here gave me an icy coke and topped off my bottles. I ate some fruit and took a grilled cheese and turkey roll-up for the trail. I felt a bit awful on leaving and did not want to run right away. I hiked while eating my food but eventually gave up on the turkey roll-up and threw it in the woods and took off jogging. It hurt and I couldn't seem to move very fast. It felt like I was approaching total quad failure. I was losing it mentally a bit as well as I had worked very hard that last section just to barely nudge under my goal time. I was discouraged and felt things might be slipping away. I thought about my theme song from my first run here in 2008. "In the light", by Led Zeppelin... "Just believe and you can't go wrong". I knew what I had to do and it was within reach. I kept jogging even though it was slow. It was faster than walking. Keep your mind out of the ultra marathon gutter that tells you it's ok walk.. it's ok to finish.. it's ok to not to worry about goals... most people can't do this.. it's ok.. it's ok to walk. A popped a gel and pushed the thoughts away.

I spied a runner ahead in the nick of time. It was the motivation I needed. I just kept going and passed him and of course then you have to keep it up. There is an intermediate aid station in this section at mile 62 in the race. The only road section of the course is here right before the station. It's a mile plus straight haul up a gravel dirt road to the aid station. The gas line road they call it. It's a road and the looks of it are mentally draining. It slopes upward in the distance and I bargained with myself. Jog it up to where the hill starts. You can take a break then if you like. I hit the slight grade and just kept jogging. Run until you can see the aid station then take a break. Another bargain. I saw the aid station. Well I can't let them see me walk it in. So that's how you run the gas line road. It's been thundering a while now and I hear the storm getting closer. At first I thought in the distance to the north, but it's sounds like it's behind me now getting closer. I was hoping for sunny skies and more light near dusk for better running but it looks like it will be a storm and early darkness.

At the gas line aid station, I have another coke, top of my bottles this time with ice cold water only, have a few berries and small bowl of soup. Lightening flashes and it's getting dark. I hit the trail with the runner I passed earlier right on my heels. I believe the storm and smell of the barn has energized us both. We run the first mile fairly quickly, I am sure it's 9 minute pace which is fast for this stage of the game. Mile post 63... gone just like that. The storm starts before we hit the next mile post. I run as far as I can, wanting to leave the headlamp off, barely seeing the trail, running by feel, admiring the contrast of the darkness, the wet puddle covered trail, the green forest and the mountain laurel glowing white all around me. It's too dark though so I stop, let the runner pass, and get my headlamp situated. Off come the glasses too as with the rain and humidity all I am going to see is a close-up of mist and fog. It's working well and I'm back on pace and things are getting brighter though the rain still falls heavily. It's refreshing and I am energized watching the mile posts climb... 65, 66, 67... the trail is still very good for running and heading downhill for the most part except for a brief steep climb around mile 65. I hear the trains below in Johnstown. Cross a power line cut where I notice it's still very light out before heading back into the dark forest. Mile post 68. Now it gets tough... this is the cursed second to last mile where the trail feels un-runnable. Rhododendron thickets, slippery rocks, descents, tip toeing my way to mile post 69 just trying to stay upright with a runner and their pacer in the distance. Many times I'd try to chase that runner down but the goal now is not to slip, fall, and cramp and blow this all away. Watch says 15:58 with a short mile to go. I smell the PR now but wait to congratulate myself until I see the light and the fire. The PR that I imagined 3 years ago is now here. A sigh of relief, an inner fist pump, and I run it in to some light applause and another congrats from the RD. Number 5, the best yet so far.

2015 - Take that father time. A PR in 16:06.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Sounds like you had quite a run this weekend in tough conditions. I think one tough part of this race is the distance between aid stations. Do you agree?

I have never had any issues with gas using Tailwind. I ran a 50 mile race last year in hot and humid conditions (95*F with 90% humidity) on Tailwind and a few orange slices. I ran really well out to mile 35 but struggled with my back the last 15 miles. Everyone else in the race dropped to the 50k because of the heat. It was sort of weird that day because we had to make multiple loops in sight of a soccer field where kids were playing. I remember thinking, "These people are nuts playing soccer in this heat." Then I remembered what I was doing... And then I ran Pinhoti on Tailwind, two cheeseburgers, and a burrito (bad idea at Porter's Gap at 1AM) with the only problem coming from the burrito right before the climb to the Pinnacle. Nevertheless, I managed to work through the burrito issue. I think I would love to run LH one year. I think it is an atmosphere that I would enjoy.

Congratulations on your PR. I really enjoyed reading the report. I always get something out of these.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Very nice read, XT - you always write very informative and entertaining reports.  Congrats on your PR too!

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I enjoyed your report.  Good detail.

Just to clarify though...

3) Try some ultra running crack called Tailwind which I packed in white baggies to resemble a two finger bag of coke (I had used it                          during my last 3 long training runs)

You used "it" the last 3 long training runs....the "it" is the tailwind or the coke???? 

Congrats though.  With your description of your struggles in the middle, I would not have guessed a PR for you. Sub 16 is in your future though!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Nice work fending off the GI issues early and finishing well...This race is on my radar for sure, although PA humidity is not something I miss in any way now that I live out west.

Daydreamer1

Congratulations on the good run.  I had dreams of doing this, but I need to be able to finish some shorter distances first.

Also waiting on that clarification Jamie wants, and I'm kind of interested in  which is better. The coke or the Tailwind .

FWIW, and this may be too much information, but I kind of like when I'm a little gassy on long runs. For some reason that means my GI system is working properly and I won't be knocked out by the belching and extreme bloating.

How much Tailwind did you use for the entire run?

Great job on the PR!  Reading your RR is making me want to sign up for next year to redeem myself. I had GI issues as well and just didn't get past them, let them get into my head and then everything fell apart. Sounds like you conquered them well. Congrats again.

XtremeTaper

LB2 - I guess for the distance there is not much aid but the old timers who started this ran it self supported! For the most part the distance between the intermediate aid stations and checkpoints is manageable, though there are those two 11 mile sections, but one is at the start. Not really sure I can blame the Tailwind but it made for good writing. Typically I have a good um movement before my races but that was not the case this time.

Mandy - Hello there and thanks! I hope you are back on the upswing.

MrJamie - Sub16? Hmmm.. depends on WS lottery luck next year.

jmctav23 - Thanks... It's a good race and at least it's shaded.

DayDreamer - Thanks... I race with two 22 oz handhelds... one water, one electrolyte drink. So let's see... one pre race and seven 22 oz during the race I think. I switched to all water for the final 13 miles. Keep in mind there is a 50k here as well.

T&C - Nice to see you again briefly. Again sorry you didn't get the finish. Was your crew/husband able to meet you at the 39 mile point? That was a very quiet/remote aid station.

AT-runner

Tim

Great job, XT on your PR!  Tough humid day and you handles it really well.

Must have been nice having Angus crewing for you.

I've been using Tailwind since it came out and alternate between water and Tailwind and supplement with some solid foods.

Have to say, not a fan of using Vitamin "I" during or several hours after a race.  I've read way too many studies on it's usage.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

When I typed that about the distances, I forgot about the intermediate aid stations and was looking at the section distances. I saw that but was too lazy to go back and edit it. Congratulations again.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Strategy one seems easy enough and on 3 can you clarify whether you used Tailwind or coke on your last 3 training runs.  Looks like I am not the only wondering this.  Drug test!

Section3 :  A young cute chick wants you to pace her and you blow her off!!!  you are taking this serious!

Section 4  you are beating the projection...

Section5:  Like the bargain tool.  Once you start say "walking the hills" then you catch yourself walking that is barely a hill.  Enjoyed your headlightless run.

Great Job extreme!!! Very cool on your PR. Oh and when I started this I was thinking it was a 100 miler and I was like WTF!!! how could he run it in 16 isn't that what the super stars do?   plus that boy drinks beer!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on a great race and a new PR! And this under very tough conditions.

GI issues can be debilitating, but you settled it and just went on, with the Tailwind (I always wondered if there was some pun intended by the inventors of that drink  Wink. I still root for the coke.

Wonderful write-up, great to read, and lots of useful details. I also do this "bargaining": Can't stop on an uphill, and then can't stop on a downhill, can't stop before a bridge, and can't stop on a bridge, so once I've passed the "checkpoints" in my mind, I tell myself now I can just as well keep going. Works most of the time.

With the foreign-accent-guy, maybe it was just a cultural thing. If he's from Europe, it's very common there for encouragement to make negative comments instead of positive ones. It's also common to tell other people what they "have to" do. It might also be a language thing to get the finer tones wrong. But good for you to leave him behind in the dark forest.

I'm also interested in running Laurel Hills some time. How does it compare to MMT?

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

AT - Thanks, yeah Angus is great crew and the trips are always full of comedic adventure. Shame is racing anymore. He enjoyed being out on the trail though. I get you on the vitamin I but I don't follow too many studies. I take like one pill, and I think it's more of a placebo effect.

Queenie - Geez yeah.. what is wrong with me.. going for a 5 minute PR when I could have been assisting a young babe. This running stuff makes one crazy and senseless. It was sort of funny though.. a few times she tried to pass me and couldn't. I really like this particular distance. It's just a long day of running and you have time to sit down and have some beer before bedtime.

Couch - Yeah, the guy was originally from Poland now living in the Pittsburgh area. I assumed a cultural thing and it sort of cracked us up really. I did see him right after he finished and we congratulated each other. However I had been in clean clothes for awhile and was getting ready for second bowl of chili and first beer. This race is a good one. I consider it a very runnable course.  I estimate if it was a 100 miles I'd be 23-25 hours... MMT I've ran 27-29 hours..The last 2 sections especially the trail is very smooth for PA standards. Only 2 climbs that match anything at MMT and those are in the first 8 miles. There are hills after that but more in the 200-500 foot range tops. This race still uses paper form for registration. To get in you need to send in the app quickly... early December now. You have to keep checking the site to see when the form is up.

T&C - Nice to see you again briefly. Again sorry you didn't get the finish. Was your crew/husband able to meet you at the 39 mile point? That was a very quiet/remote aid station.

My husband met me at 39, he was crewing me at every station. There was a side trail to a parking lot that became DNF alley when I got there. About 5 people were dropping as I did. Though I had already decided to drop miles before that, seeing others drop there did not change my mind haha.  Congrats again!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congrats on the PR!  Heat (anything over 70 is hot for me Wink, humidity and stomach woes- it doesn't get any better than that 

I found Tailwind to make me gassy as well, probably should have used it on a few long runs instead of race day. I still have some and probably shouldn't give up on it quite yet

PS leaving the young hot chick behind, that is dedication!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √