Trailer Trash

Hyperborean Wednesdaily (Read 21 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

weather here is bleak (again)- below zero, highs in the single digits, but supposedly this weekend we will moderate and be near normal (low 30's for highs) for awhile

did 5-ish miles of "hills" on the treadmill yesterday evening (along with a core workout waiting for a treadmill), treadmill this evening

my shoulder feels a little better (more range of motion), but certain motions are painful- going to be awhile before I can strength train

qotd: continuing on yesterdays theme- favorite class (college or HS)? least favorite?  I enjoyed most of my wildlife classes, but I took a Montana archeology class as an easy elective and really enjoyed it (discussed the Bering Bridge for the first NA inhabitants and their journey south); least public speaking- I had a unreasonable fear of speaking in front of people

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 10 awesome miles yesterday. There with light snow coming down and about an inch of snow on the trails. I was making the only footprints for most of it until I came across 3 hikers.  One of those runs that reminds you of why you run in the woods.  I had left my phone at home and when I got back it was lit up like a Christmas tree with computer problems at the office.  Quick shower and went in so I could talk nicely yell at my software company.  They screwed thing up with an update and seems several offices across the country were out.  All of our treatment notes, patient billing, etc is through this company, so staff was not happy and neither was my associate doctor. After 2 hours they were back up and running and I stayed around to help out.

Probably a good thing I left my phone at home because it would have ruined my run.

Woke up early today to an ice storm. Schools and several businesses are closed.  Picked up 2 of my employees and I just finished spreading salt around driveway.  Hope sun comes out or I won't open this morning.  So all the crap I dealt with yesterday could have waited until today.

QOTD Yesterday:  BS's in Biology and Chemistry. MS in Anatomy and Physiology, Doctor of Chiropractic and a Post Doctorate in Neurology. The post-doc was a 1 year program but took me 3 years to compete because I was working at the time. I did a three day weekend a month for 38 months plus driving to Philadelphia. Then had to sit a three day board exam.  I paid off my student loans when DD#1 was 17 and starting college. DD#2 is still in school, so I've been paying for colleges for 28 years. 

QOTD Today:  I loved philosophy classes.  Maybe that's why I'm a bullshitter. Least favorite was a sociology class I had in college. It was because professor was an ass and just liked to pick on students. Kind of like Donald Trump teaching a class.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A few late miles last night at the gym.  I had contemplated running in the hood but it was a good decision not to due to the freezing rain we got last night.  I was skating a bit on my drive home from the gym.  My streak is now at 10 

Today woke up to the same ice skating rick as AT.  Kids on a delay.  DW offered to stay home with them - I think she just wanted to stay in bed while I went to work at the normal time.  Smart woman!

QOTD: I loved all my psych classes - surprise surprise.  I did not like my theology classes - not due to the content but mainly the professor.  He was tough.  My favorite grad class though was abnormal psych - where you get to study about all the crazy people (oh wait I am not supposed to call them crazy! )

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

QOTD Yesterday:  BS's in Biology and Chemistry. MS in Anatomy and Physiology, Doctor of Chiropractic and a Post Doctorate in Neurology. The post-doc was a 1 year program but took me 3 years to compete because I was working at the time. I did a three day weekend a month for 38 months plus driving to Philadelphia. Then had to sit a three day board exam.  I paid off my student loans when DD#1 was 17 and starting college. DD#2 is still in school, so I've been paying for colleges for 28 years. 

This sounds like what I am heading for. Although part of my plan all along has been to get a good teaching job and get some free education for my kids (some schools let professor's kids attend for free - some not all).

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

This sounds like what I am heading for. Although part of my plan all along has been to get a good teaching job and get some free education for my kids (some schools let professor's kids attend for free - some not all).

I had a scholarship for undergrad and still ended up $250,000 for the rest. DD#1 had a 1/2 scholarship at Philadelphia University but changes schools and got nothing when she switched to Shippensburg. DS wasn't too bad for expenses and finished in 3 1/2 years, but DD#2 is in year #5 of a 6 year plan, so she's killing us.  We had 529 plans for the kids . Don't know if you have that or have looked into that. Works great for state school tuition.

Daydreamer1

DW  got her morning exercise in this morning already. She had to drag me out of bed by the heals kicking and screaming . Actually it wasn't quite that bad but I did get in a good nights sleep and didn't feel like getting up this morning.  Now she's dragging me off to go shopping .  First will be pictures to update our passports then about 10 stores we have to stop at. Just need a item or two at each. Somewhere along the way we will hit Longhorn Steakhouse for lunch. I'll probably get a big steak and eat about half and save the rest for supper.

Planning on putting in about 5-6 miles tonight or late afternoon. It's getting nice and warm here today.

QOTD: Surprisingly once I was taking actual college courses I kind of liked English and writing courses. Always hated that in school. I think some of the reason I now like it is that I like discussing issues and all the college English classes were online so there was a lot of discussion.  My absolute favorites were anything that dealt with Pathophysiology, basically the study of disease processes.

The one that I hated the most was a communications course. Part of that was because it was online so I had to figure out how to make videos and post them and part was because I could never figure out if the prof was a jerk or just acting like one so the brats in the class wouldn't take advantage of her.

muppy

The Same as AT,  got 10.5 beautiful miles in an inch of snow with flurries  coming down on the horseshoe Trail.

QOTD  my favorite class was three dimensional art,  sculptures and stuff like that.  I never quite enjoyed the Composition classes.

AT-runner

Tim

The Same as AT,  got 10.5 beautiful miles in an inch of snow with flurries  coming down on the horseshoe Trail.

QOTD  my favorite class was three dimensional art,  sculptures and stuff like that.  I never quite enjoyed the Composition classes.

Muppy - was Hershey all iced in this morning? Schools closed here and now its 40 degrees and melting. Bad morning with accidents all over.

Sandy-2

The moon was rising last night on yesterday's run, then setting this morning on today's run.  I hope there are no psych majors around here to tell me I'm a lunatic.     I just did a 3 mile shakedown run this morning, nice and easy, tropical.

What is this snow and ice you people are talking about?  Supposed to hit 80 deg here today and tomorrow.

qotd:  Favorites: my naval arch classes.  Also we'd all pile on to our 800' school ship each summer (think of a vintage 50's era navy ship), the ship was operated by us cadets, but of course with supervision.  We'd take the ship up and down the east coast of the US and over to Europe.  Not so much: all the core curriculum math classes, I did well in math but the classes were really boring.

tbd.

muppy

Muppy - was Hershey all iced in this morning? Schools closed here and now its 40 degrees and melting. Bad morning with accidents all over.

It was,  The main roads were salted pretty good but a lot of the side roads were icy yet.  I broke out my screw shoes just to run on the rail trail,  I had about a coating of ice.

XtremeTaper

Last night, 7 miles on the snow covered trails of Coventry Woods with the Lady, 7 on the roads today at lunchtime. Warmer today, in the lower to mid 40's. Road run was annoying at times. I got stuck racing the recycling truck, which meant I had some cars to deal with trying to pass aforementioned truck when it stopped. Only in a few places though, not for the whole run.

QOTD: I enjoyed algebra, calculus, and physics. History not so much. I'd say computer courses but when I was in college we had to write Fortran programs on punch cards. Egads. For Cobol they had terminals and online compilers.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Recovery run, 3.5 miles finishing with 5 x :300 strides. Overdressed not taking into account how much warmer it was today.

qotd: favorite class is a hard one to pick. I really liked most of my math and philosophy class, my microbiology classes, and strangely enough an English class I had to take when I went back to school for my A.S. in Data Processing, aka computer programming. I had already read about half the books on the syllabus, including one of them in the original German, so it looked like it might be very boring. I spoke with the instructor after the first class and when she heard my background, already having three degrees, two of which indicated I should know how to write papers, she gave me free rein to write my papers based on my interests related to the readings rather than adhere to the specific requirements for the other students that were intended to teach them how to write papers.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

QOTD: I enjoyed algebra, calculus, and physics. History not so much. I'd say computer courses but when I was in college we had to write Fortran programs on punch cards. Egads. For Cobol they had terminals and online compilers.

When I went back to school for computer programming the community college had just upgraded their system to an IBM 4300 model, so I missed having to use punch cards. All our work was done on terminals.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

I had a scholarship for undergrad and still ended up $250,000 for the rest. DD#1 had a 1/2 scholarship at Philadelphia University but changes schools and got nothing when she switched to Shippensburg. DS wasn't too bad for expenses and finished in 3 1/2 years, but DD#2 is in year #5 of a 6 year plan, so she's killing us.  We had 529 plans for the kids . Don't know if you have that or have looked into that. Works great for state school tuition.

250K in Student loans? Ouch.  Guess I'm lucky. When I sold my trucks that paid for my school and living expenses for 16 months with some left over. All other classes were taken piecemeal so I could pay without borrowing. DS spent about 50k on his college with part of that being paid with his savings, the National Guard, him borrowing and us picking up some. He has some student debt and we carry a very small amount from that in our home equiline.  For DD she took courses at the community college so it was cheaper and she worked almost full time and lived at home free while we covered a lot of her expenses.

In retrospect I wish I would have had opened 529 accounts.

NHLA