Trailer Trash

Misty Mondaily (Read 24 times)

moonlightrunner

Good morning! Hope you are all well. I have not been around much. Still trying to fit my running life into my other life..but things are better. In training for a June 50k.

I ran a beutiful 5 miles in the early early darkness. Misty and pleasant. Long miles tonight. Hoping for 14.

Qotd: I pass.

Hope everyone has a great day!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

runtraildc

Misty indeed here in DC.  Got in 9 creaky miles yesterday on the streets to downtown DC, where I met DH.  It was nice to have a destination and not a loop, as well as the roads to completely zone out on and not worry about rocks and roots for a change.   No worries, I'll be back on the trails tomorrow.  Today is a rest day, with strength work planned at the gym.

moonlight-- good to hear from you and glad to hear you're running.  Post more often please!   (less lurking and more posting overall makes things more interesting here )

DD- re Del triple crown.  I wanted to do it this year, but quickly realized it was not in the books.  Maybe next year.

Harrier- how did the maple syrup turn out?  How much did you end up with?

qotd:  (blank stare)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

welcome back! 

had a good 8-ish mile run yesterday, legs were a little fatigued from Saturdays run, but that's is to be expected- strength training this evening, riding my bike to work

qotd: thoughts on sharing your trails?  I get very spoiled for about 6 months (Oct-March) and rarely bump into anyone on our local trails, that's changed now and folks seem like they are coming out of the wood work.  Walkers/hikers aren't a big deal, but mtn bikers can be a bit of pain- seems like many (not all) think they have the right away- I've been trying to train them that thinking is wrong 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I feel amazing well this morning considering my 20 yesterday.  In years past, I would have felt pretty stiff and forgiveness in my legs.  But I am optimistic that my leg strengthening has helped a lot.  I plan on getting in some gym time tonight.

moonlight - welcome back! please stay...

runtraildc - is it just me or are you lengthening your runs? What do you have planned?

wcrunner - if you read this, how has your Hyner training come along? It's almost here!

QOTD: I wish I didn't have to share the Appalachian Trail --  but I suppose I have too.  Other more remote trails I see some hikers and occasional runners.

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

3.5 miles on the elliptical at the gym and some weights.

Good to hear from moonlight runner!

Turns out I have some knee bursitis and for some reason my pcl is weak and not working properly. Looks like I'll be taking it easy for a bit.

QOTD I'm usually off Tuesday and Wednesday when I do long runs,  so not many people out on my trails then.

AT-runner

Tim

Weird week for me, so I'm planning on a short run today (my usual SRD).

DC - nice pic. Did you run the Rock Creek Trail to the Monuments?

Moon - 

Muppy - ouch, hope it's minor with the knee.

QOTD:  We have so many miles of trails that traffic is never an issue and I can usually find a trail and be alone. The only problem I have is with the occasional ATV rider who wants to blast past me after I step to the side.  I look forward to seeing the At hikers and usually stop and talk.  A few trails I avoid on the weekends, but otherwise no problem.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner - if you read this, how has your Hyner training come along? It's almost here!

You could say I've had my ups and downs on the trails. It's alternated between going great and being miserable. This week could be a critical one as I don't want to do a hard trail run in the last few days leading up to Hyner so I'll be better rested.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

Good afternoon all. Fighting off the remnants of a cold that hit me on Friday. It led to one of those rare USDO for me. I did run over the weekend.. Green Lane Lake loopie on Saturday (13+ miles) in the snow showers, and 9.5 mi at French Creek yesterday in the snowy forest. Actually the snow completely melted by the time I finished. Not sure today. Really wore out last night but figure a few miles after work might be needed.

QOTD: I typically see people throughout the year but there is almost always an influx with the seasons. Spring and fall bring out more people and oddly enough winter and snow as well. No real issues. Crowds are relatively small and some places I run I won't see a soul especially midweek. Funny though.. an onslaught of hikers heading out to Miller Point yesterday... 4 or 5 groups in less than a mile. Maybe they wanted to enjoy the last bit of snow.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

Very disappointing weekend mileage but the weather was just terrible, low 20's with blustery winds so my much needed long runs turned into a fast ten on sat and Sunday. The weathers looking up so maybe can do better next weekend.

Moon- long time no hear, maybe we'll meet up in June. I'll be there doing the 100 if our weather ever lets me get some miles in

QOTD: only problem I ever had sharing trails was with cross country skiers mostly because they thought the trail belonged to them and gave me guff for being in there way.

moonlightrunner

Very disappointing weekend mileage but the weather was just terrible, low 20's with blustery winds so my much needed long runs turned into a fast ten on sat and Sunday. The weathers looking up so maybe can do better next weekend.

Moon- long time no hear, maybe we'll meet up in June. I'll be there doing the 100 if our weather ever lets me get some miles in

QOTD: only problem I ever had sharing trails was with cross country skiers mostly because they thought the trail belonged to them and gave me guff for being in there way.

What 100 Are you doing? I am doing a 50 k in Wisconsin June 4 (Kettle). If I can find childcare. If not..it might be the 50k DWD Gnaw Bone May 15.

Qotd: I will admit...I do not enjoy sharing with mountain bikes.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Gator eye

Oh that's the same weekend as Yankee springs, I was guessing on GR

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So umm didn't get up and run like I planned which is a shame because it was very foggy last night and I am sure this morning.  It would have been fun in the creepy woods. So gym at lunch for the core  and then run after work..old man is out of town so nothing will prevent me from running.

I failed to mention on my run yesterday I was cruising along on the single track, thinking about my running and should I run a 50 or keep it short and do under 20's and actually run fast and push myself...from their I started day dreaming more about how I could get really fast and win my old lady group...when WHACK!!!  reality hit and I went down on the ground and slide/rolled into the poison oak.    ok maybe I should stick to long slow runs or at least stop daydreaming while I run.

QOTD:   We have a couple of busy trails which I don't enjoy as much because I have two leashed beast that aren't the most well behaved.  You have to run more alert to be prepared.  My morning runs I rarely see anyone, except Bob on Tues and Fri. Our Mt Bikers here are an awesome group.  Usually both of us give the right away.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Just crawled out of bed. Didn't get much of a nap last night so now I feel miserable. This will pass in a few hours so I'll head out for a run then. Probably 6-8 miles.  At least the sun is trying to peep through.

Now that we have Moonlight runner back in the fold maybe we will be able to find  Blarg, Jonfer, FTYC , and some others, rope 'em and drag them back.

Moonlight - Nice to see you back posting again.

Runtrail - Sorry to hear you can't make the race. What are the trails like down there. I know there can't be too much elevation gain, but are there many rocky, rooty areas or is it more sand and gravel?

Muppy -  Seems like bursitis would be a little painful.

QOTD:  In someways I'd like to share my trails more. I rarely see anyone on the trails I run. In addition to that there are many more trails that never get used, simply because there is so little traffic on the popular trails that they never become crowded so no one heads to the lesser known ones.  When i do see other people, the hikers are more likely to snub me than the MTBers.  Seems like the hikers think I'm violating "their" space, while the MTB'ers are rarely higher skilled riders so are more likely to want to chat and maybe share a joint story or two .

There is a MTB club that is starting to do a lot of trail maintenance in the one area that I run. From looking at their FB page it seems most are affiliated with the one local college and aren't afraid to get dirty doing maintenance.  I don't bump into them very often as they seem to be out later in the day and on weekends when I'm not on those trails.  They do some night rides so maybe I'll have to check out their schedule and go out when they are.

runtraildc

Runtrail - Sorry to hear you can't make the race. What are the trails like down there. I know there can't be too much elevation gain, but are there many rocky, rooty areas or is it more sand and gravel?

Depends-- In Rock Creek and other nearby creek/valley systems, it's mud, rocks and roots with short , rolling and sometime steep hills.   Sometimes in the flood plains you get smooth and flat segments.

Jamie-- not, just fitting in a few longer runs every so often.  I have a ten miler coming up in a few weeks along the Potomac but nothing big locked in.

AT-- I stuck to 16th mostly.  I was tempted to run Rock Creek, but it added more 30%  mileage and effort than I wanted to do.

qotd:  I expect to see people on my trails, but usually avoid the high traffic times (i.e. weekend afternoons on a beautiful spring day).  The horse people are usually the ones that bother me.-- or more specifically, the ones that expect you to give them the right of way, and then don't acknowledge it with at least a 'thank you'l for stopping your run and moving aside.  thankfully, those folks are rare on my trails.  The mountain bikers aren't allowed on most of my trails (and I don't see them either).  But in this region, the MTB groups are the most active in trail maintenance by far, so I appreciate that a lot.

DigDug2

SRD for me - lots of miles the last couple of weeks and my legs are kind of dead.

QOTD:  I wouldn't mind seeing more people on my trails.  Occasionally cross paths with runners, hikers or (less frequently) mountain bikers, but not very often.