Trailer Trash

Ouch my toe Tuesday (Read 26 times)

XtremeTaper

8.5 miles for me and the Lady last night at Coventry Woods. I am still re-adapting to hills and rocks, and was a bit on the slower side for my normal loop, so I added an extra shorter loop back up the hill and down for punishment. Bonus miles. Oh, and I banged my big left toe very hard on a rock. Hard enough that I cracked the nail slightly, and it's sore and swollen today. Feels ok in a shoe, but miles today are up in the air/TBD.

QOTD: Trails in your area... are they blazed, marked with signs, cairns, ribbons, flags, or none of the above? Have you ever seen any odd or unusual trail markers?

Mostly blazed here, different colors or a mix depending on the trail. Laurel Highlands race in PA is a fun one because there are basically no flags the entire race. You just follow the blazes. A few places I run locally are not blazed.... Birdsboro Waters/Hay Creek watershed comes to mind. I just wandered about there until I got the lay of the land. Someone did mark a section of trail out there with smiley faces. I thought that was pretty funny. The smiley face trail has sort of disappeared due to logging but a few markers remain.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

gone to try and get 5-ish this evening

found out yesterday I will go in for my "50 year old" (eight years late) colonoscopy Friday morning- oh the joy 

qotd: our local trails aren't marked, but the trails themselves are well distinguished- the trouble for some folks comes at the many junctions- a few are marked with trail signs, most aren't

the Forest Service trails outside of town are generally marked w/ cut blazes, but find most woefully insufficient (or old)- map/compass/gps recommended 

there is a group of younger folks (guessing here) that make elaborate cairns around the local trails- not for marking, just art work- I should snap some pics as they are very talented

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in a good hill/stairs/leg workout at the gym last night.

XT - toe injuries can really suck! BTW - I cannot do late on Thursday unfortunately.  My meeting in Birdsboro ends around noon so I was going to take my "lunch break" by finding a trail nearby and then I need to head home to finish work.  Looking at google maps, it looks easy enough to find.  I have been to FC before but it's been a long time.

QOTD: Mostly blazed.  The AT of course is blazed white and hard to lose around here.  We do have plenty of side trails that are not blazed at all and I haven't done too much exploring of late.  I should though.  The one are I like to run in the winter has a series of colored blazes to mark different trails.  They all connect but for a new person out there, it can be confusing.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

I got out early today to beat the heat.   It was 52 degrees when I started at 7:45.  Supposed to reach 74 degrees today and a bit warmer the next 2 days. March heat wave!  Might be time to open the pool.

XT - DW and I totally forgot about the Naked Bavarian. Last year it was postponed due to icy trails, so we we thinking it was this weekend. We like that race, especially the post race German food. Maybe next year. Good luck with the toe.

Warden - good luck with the test. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Hardest part for me was being so damn hungry the morning of the test.

Jamie - have fun exploring. It's easy to find.

QOTD:  A big mix.  AT is obviously well blazed in white.  Old AT sections are Blue Blazed.  The Michaux Forest has several named trails that follow the PA - DCNR's color codes - Red Blaze = open to bike, horse and foot.  Orange = open to foot traffic only. We have hundreds of miles of unmarked (unblazed) trails. Some of the horse and snowmobile trails have intersection markings with numbers. Other trails aren't named or numbered at all. These are some of the best single track trails around and what I run on most of the time. They're usually MTB trails.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

8 and for the first time this year....in shorts!

it was about 42 this morning

QOTD local trails hard hard to miss most of them are made by motorcycles. But my favorite trail which is quit a little drive for me is the north country trail it is blazed with blue. 

Daydreamer1

61 degrees as I type this. Shorts weather finally .  Have a few things to tend to then I'm heading up on the mountain for 11.4 or 14.4 miles. All depends on my legs and which course I decide to do.

One of the things I have to do before I can head out is clean out a water bladder.  I really thought I cleaned it out last fall only to discover that I apparently left it wet with Tailwind . I think I can salvage it. If not I may have to just stick extra water bottles in the pack.

QOTD: The ones closest to home are not blazed but do have signs. No need for blazes as a blind man could follow them. While rough and rugged they are easy to see. Up at R.B. Winters the trails are both marked with signs and blazes. Real difficult to get lost there if you have any sense of direction and a map.  Someone has actually been putting in new signs in that area. There is one trail there that they use for the Dam Full in the fall that does not have a sign and is not blazed very well. Sometime this summer I'd like to blaze it better if I can get permission.

NHLA

9 miles around the mt.

NHLA

runtraildc

Got in an instant, 3 mile run this morning with a friend.  She's faster than me, so it was a good push.   Plan to get in some strength work in later at the gym.

qotd:  Some of them.  The major trails nearby are mostly blazed, except for neighborhood connections.

muppy

12.4 trail miles. It was 65* out, that's too warm for me.

XT hope your toe feels better!

QOTD  on the state game lands where I run they are not marked but they are quite obvious for the most part. At governor dick where I was running this morning,  The horseshoe Trail travels through so that has yellow blazes.  There's about 20 miles of trails in the little area crisscrossing all with different colors so it could be confusing if your not familiar with them.

NHLA

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran 5.7 miles this morning...the sun was shining for the first time in a few days.  Here's a bit of dog info you may not know.  The hound dog goes around puddles while the happy go luck lab plows right through the middle often ducking his head low so that he also gets a face load.

Are you the lab or the hound?  Me a mix but sure want to be more like Happy Jack the lab.

QOTD:  My morning run is marked by no trespassing signs.   Once in the park they have post at intersections giving trail names but not really how to get back to your car.   (downhill) The majority of other trails around here are marked with a steel plate nailed to the tree that people take off.  There all kinds of color ribbon tied to trees that I have no idea what they are doing there..not always on a trail but off and in the woods.

XT:  I dropped a bowl of chili on my toe Sunday...it's black and blue but no pain.  Smile

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Here's a bit of dog info you may not know.  The hound dog goes around puddles while the happy go luck lab plows right through the middle often ducking his head low so that he also gets a face load. Are you the lab or the hound?  Me a mix but sure want to be more like Happy Jack the lab.

In colder weather, I'm a hound, and go around all water obstacles to keep the feet dry and warm.  In warmer weather, like today, I'm a Lab.  I happily run through creeks and puddles. (Didn't know that about hounds, but we once had a black lab that hated water.)

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

bagge_pants

11.5 miles of speed play using a soccer field and a 2 mile trail loop. Maybe 3 total miles in 6:15-7:30 pace.

Shorts and shirtless today

bagge_pants

qotd: blazed generally with white and have sometimes pretty nice plastic tags with arrows. Hinesburg Area Trail System I believe. They are basically town forrests. When I run by the house on trails in Burlington they are not marked but easy to follow. The long trail is nearby and I believe that is white blaze as well.