Trailer Trash

NC 24 Race Report (Read 18 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've gotten great support and advice from here but when you get a hot sunny day and a shift to a noon start implementing that is tough to do.

100K or Bust Was a Bust

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Under those conditions, I would say that wasn't so bad. I know you didn't meet your goals, but heat is a killer. We had about 2 weeks in September where temperatures were far cooler than normal. I was running long and effortlessly; then, last Friday showed up. Apparently, I have been successful at building a fair amount of speed and endurance over the course of this summer, just grinding it out the best I can. I still ran pretty quick over the weekend with back to back 20's, but it was a definite struggle. I am hoping for cooler temps in November. Congratulations on 3rd place.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sorry it didn't go the way you wanted.  We can plan for a lot of things but the weather is often a game changer no matter how much you plan for it. One of these days George, you will meet that goal.  Keep at it!

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

You really need to do one of those things when it's cooler. I'm sure that you'd reach that 100k goal.  Running in hot conditions is really draining.... believe me I know.

Congrats on toughing it out and getting 3rd in your AG !!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've been searching the ultra calendars for 24-hour races where I have a better chance of getting cooler weather. I am partially limited to races on certified courses because I want to chase the PA resident single age records. So far the best I've found is the Howard Aslinger Endurance Run in Cape Girardeau, MO next March with an average high of 59 and low of 38. Other races are scattered all over the country from WA to VA but they are more likely to have temps into the 70s.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Daydreamer1

Good read, George.  Sorry you didn't make your goal. Seems like both you and I bring the heat to our races. Unfortunately it's always the wrong kind of heat.  I think I'd go with a race in the early spring to try to get cooler temps.

Hi WC.  Thanks for the RR.  What a bummer that they had to delay the start until noon.  That heat would have done me in for sure.

If you're considering 24 hour races for next year and don't mind trekking to Northern California, I've done the 6 hour events at these two and they were well done (both are on the same loop around Crissy Field in San Francisco):

http://www.coastaltrailruns.com/nyod_new_year_one_day.html

http://www.pctrailruns.com/event.aspx?dtid=11010

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

George, like I suggested on FB, try Sole Challenge 48 next year. It can be warm, but cools off at night, and you have plenty of time to get your goal.

Keep at it, and the race gods will shine on you one day with great weather.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, like I suggested on FB, try Sole Challenge 48 next year. It can be warm, but cools off at night, and you have plenty of time to get your goal.

Keep at it, and the race gods will shine on you one day with great weather.

Sole Challenge is only two weeks after D3. Even though I race 50K at D3 and not the 24-Hour, that's not enough recovery time. but thanks for reminding me. Maybe I can be there to volunteer or crew.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hi WC.  Thanks for the RR.  What a bummer that they had to delay the start until noon.  That heat would have done me in for sure.

If you're considering 24 hour races for next year and don't mind trekking to Northern California, I've done the 6 hour events at these two and they were well done (both are on the same loop around Crissy Field in San Francisco):

http://www.coastaltrailruns.com/nyod_new_year_one_day.html

http://www.pctrailruns.com/event.aspx?dtid=11010

Those both look interesting. NYE was a little earlier than I was planning, but it's still a reasonable time frame. The Summer Solstice one would be a little harder to fit in with my other tentative plans.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

muppy

Congratulations George on 3rd place!

The heat can be a killer, but over 40 miles is still pretty good.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

George nothing shabby with what you accomplished given the conditions. For the last five years I've said I was going to incorporate heat training as part of my overall training. Thus far I've incorporated none, with the full knowledge I need to- I melt in the heat so can definitely relate!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √