Trailer Trash

Iron Masters Challenge 50k Race Report (Read 15 times)

XtremeTaper

Well, thought this would be short but guess not. A bit of a delayed report, but busy week....

The Iron Masters Challenge is a 50k big loop course in the Michaux State Forest, starting and finishing at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, with approximately 5,300 feet of climbing and 5,200 feet of descent. A fairly difficult PA mountain trail race.  I jumped into this race at the last minute, well the week before actually, as I wanted to get in a long trail run (25-30 miles) as part of my Mohican training and I heard about this race from a local RD's email blast and was kind of shocked that the race was not filled to capacity.

I've been worried about my training this year for Mohican. I'm using that race as Western States qualifier again this year. The last few months I have been battling some left knee pain and swelling/soreness around the knee at the quadricep attachment point. I have good days and bad, but have managed to get in plenty of miles the past few months including some long runs. I just have not felt fast, fresh, or strong as I like, especially compared to last year. I sometimes wonder if I am going to make it through the training to be quite honest, and even if I should continue to try. I keep plugging away though, so a challenging 50k long run sounds perfect for me about now.... right?!!

Anyway, back to the race. The course has a little bit of everything that I associate with PA trails... steep straight up climbs, crazy rock/bouldering on a ridgeline, sweeping views now and then, running on trails along/through creeks and rhododendron thickets, and quite a bit of fun/fast single track trail.  I really enjoyed the course, as while it throws a lot of tough stuff at you (especially in the early miles) the majority of the trails were fun and quite runnable. I set a goal time of 7 hours in my running log, based on a scan of past results and experience at other difficult 50k's I've ran such as Catoctin. Turns out I was pretty close, finishing in 7:13 with a surge and feeling on top of the world. Maybe racing a bit harder I could have finished under 7 hours on this run but I had such a great/fun day that the time was not that important.

Ok.. here are the bullet points. Mile points are approximate.

* Mile 2... Sunset Rocks... I stumbled my way through there, thankfully not tripping or falling off the escarpment. It reminded me of the boulder hopping on top of Hawk Mountain or Kerns Mountain in Massanutten. It's the sort of terrain where having both hands free is helpful. Alas, I had 2 handhelds so it was slow going.  I had been struggling the first few miles with the feeling of being slow, cludgy, an old and this tricky section did not help. Plus it seemed humid as all get out, and I sort of regretted wearing a shirt. I sweat so much. Funny bit as somewhere up here some gal had dropped her drawers and was relieving herself just off trail in full view of everyone... it was hard to miss the bare buttocks! Maybe they should call this place Moon View Rocks.

* Mile 4...  just past the first aid station we entered a sweet section of single track that floated through the woods and vegetation along a big slope, but level paralleling the ridge top so to speak. I finally felt settled in now, cruising alomg, like a trail runner should feel. Met up with an older runner (like me), Andy, that I recognized from local Pretzel City Sports races and we spent several miles here (and later during the day) chatting it up. It helped me relax and focus on the training run aspect of the day.

* Mile 6... 1:20 so far. I thought the time would be worse given the terrain. A sign indicates "follow the Blueberry trail". Sounds pleasant doesn't it? That is if you like a straight up the mountain ~1,000 foot climb. A gal ahead of me is hands on thighs slogging. I am kind of enjoying the respite from running, even though the climb is steep and it hurts some. Sicko. Most people are silent. Just before the top I pass by the gal and shout "Now wasn't that fun".  I get an eye roll in response but the Appalachian Mountain view from up here is gorgeous, and the early morning sweat from the hills and humidity has been left behind by a cool breeze. I feel strong at the top after the climb and get right back into running. This was a 20 minute mile according to the mile 7 marker and my watch.

* Mile 8... I've settled back in with my friend Andy and a few youngsters, 2 guys and a girl who are sticking together today. We make our way through a tricky but fun section of roots and rhododendrons, while the trail twists and turns itself along and through a scenic clear stream. I ask the age of the guy behind me... I guess 25 he says soon to be 28. I make a light joke at him that he is chasing someone twice his age. At least he did not call me sir!

* Mile 10... some crackpot with a huge Donald Trump mask greets us we cross Pine Furnace Road. The youngsters, Andy, and myself are still grouped together, but I take off up a little hill at a jog as the walk. They all catch me and go by me 1/2 mile later on a flatter but rockier section of trail. I don't see them for a bit after this and I wonder if I am fading, but I still feel the same.

* Mile 12... just past here another water stop. I grab a baggie of tailwind from my pocket and when the aid station volunteer asks "What is that?", I reply with a straight face, "Cocaine of course". Hey at least she is not TSA.

* Mile 12-19... I am livening up here and feeling on top of the world. I keep waiting for a huge hill or mountain to appear but nothing but gentle climbs and descents in this section on wooded single track trail interspersed with the occasional stream and small patches of mud here and there. Lovely. I catch back up to Andy and a few other runners. One young guy in particular latches on to me and lets me pull him through this section for a few miles. I am fine with it, and it helps pass the miles.

* Mile 20... just out of the main aid station, check point 2 back in Pine Furnace Park. The youngsters were here along with Andy who is calling it a day as he was just looking for a training run and 20 was enough for him today. For the first time all day we are on the AT, but just a short easy cinder path tourist section that runs through the park past Fuller Lake. I pass the youngsters here as they are just strolling about on this flat AT section. Soon we leave the AT on a lightly used trail that runs gently up a rocky ridge line. I hike, jog it with some vigor. Things are feeling good. I am feeling so strong and full of life today.

* Mile 22+... the gal from the group of youngsters has joined me at the end of the climb. Says she prefers my pace to her friends. We reach the tricky, steep descent and I let her get ahead as steep downhill stuff is rough on my knees. The rest of her group goes blazing by me here too. Stronger knees than mine. Then the big surprise of the day comes when a sweaty smiling Jasz appears coming up the hill. A well earned high-five and I bet he was glad to catch me on the lower part of the hill! We make our way the rest of way down hill to Leaser Lake and have a nice comfortable run on the gravel road around the lake. The youngsters have paused to walk again and this is the last time I see them until the finish. Jasz and I finish our run around the lake, chatting it up, me bubbling on about how fresh I feel, etc. Time went quickly, and we parted ways as I headed out of the aid station for the next big climb. It was so great to see him and he said he'd catch up to me later at the finish.

* Mile 24... head back across the road and am anticipating the next big climb. While running I thought this was the Pole Steeple section but that was the last section. So I was waiting for a big climb but instead found myself on a gentle flat dirt forest road circling around a mountain. Passed someone walking here (what, it's flat!) and then after almost 2 miles the course veers off the dirt road and the next, sort of last huge big climb begins. Straight up as usual, steep, next to a rock strewn stream running down the mountain. I just bear down and hike up it, all alone. It's my own time and space out here now.

* Mile 26... Heading back down now towards the final checkpoint. Pretty nice trail but steep and rock laden in a few places. Plus a short piece of trail through a logged section of the forest. I know there are reasons for logging but these places always make me a bit sad. My alone time is over as I see and hear a few runners ahead and behind me in the open spaces.

* Mile 28/Finish...  it's weird at this point in a 50k. You are almost done, but grasping at the fact that on this type of terrain 5k is not a quick walk in the park. I head out of the aid station just behind a couple of runners (man and wife/girlfriend?) and just sort of hang back. About a mile in I've had enough of them walking some ridiculously easy hill and jog by them to pass. Then I sort of pick it up to leave them behind as I spied another runner up ahead. I guess it's race time now and I still feel solid enough to do it. I pass the other guy on an uphill section of gravel road but he catches me on rolling section of downhill trail. He asks me how much longer to the finish, as if I would know! I am not wearing a mileage dorkalator. The trail rolls uphill again and I continue running and leave him behind and then spy some other dude sort of walking it in on a downhill section. LOL, he is such toast!! I wish him well as I go flying by then keep up the pace into the finish. Done.. with a smile on my face!

See Andy and Jasz at the finish and Andy comments I must have done well the last 12 miles and yes it felt so. Collected my goodie bag (they hand it out post race) eventually found my beer coupons (dang they were hidden in there) and thankfully they gave me 2 tickets so I could toast the run with Jasz. Followed that up with some food and later an icy cold soak in Fuller Lake. A great day on the trails!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Well done, sir!

AT-runner

Tim

Glad you liked my neighborhood.

Sunset Rocks is the largest area for rattlers and copperheads sightings in Michaux.

The beautiful downhill after Woodrow Road is on private land (Tumbling Run), and the trails are only open on race day. I've only run there 3-4 times, and wish it was open more often.

Mile 12-19 is one of my favorite areas to run.  I love running along  Mt. Creek (you hit the same creek earlier, before climb up Blueberry Hill).  The flat AT section after Fuller Lake is where I do my 800's.  It's exactly 800m from lake to the gate, and we use that section for our XC team for timed 800's during camp.

Did you not see the top of Pole Steeple?  It was the climb after AT split. That's the best view from the whole course.

Laurel Lake is the second one you hit.  The course used to stay single track for a while, but a bridge collapsed, so they added that logging road a few years ago.  The older section was just as nice as the Mt. Creek section.

I ran some sections a few weeks ago, and it's sad how much logging they've done right next to the trails. It will take a few years to get back to what it was, but luckily affects only a few miles.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

Nice read. Thanks

Daydreamer1

Congrats on a well run race. Pretty good time for an oldster with crickety knees .  Sounds like you had a good time.

But please, please don't give out the secret of the Tailwind.  People find out what's in it and the price will go through the roof!!!!!

Logging: Part of me really hates to see it especially the first year or two after it's been done if it hasn't been done correctly. At the same time I love nice wood products. And then I get really depressed when I run through an area that has big old trees that have passed their prime, are diseased and dying but still standing. Seems like a waste.

One of these days I'll do this event.