Trailer Trash

Help with vacation plans (Read 39 times)

Daydreamer1

Calling all travel guides out there. If we are going on any vacations this year we will have to go the middle part of May and be back home by the 6th of June. This year I’d like to venture into some areas that I’ve never to before.

I had wanted to take a road trip that would include Yellowstone then continue out to Idaho in the Coeur d’Alene and Wallace area. We would be looking at doing some hiking, sightseeing, gentle whitewater rafting and riding some of the Rail trails, especially The Route of the Hiawatha. I do know that the Hiawatha does not open until May 24th and that had me a little concerned that the weather may still not be the best out there. I was wondering what type of conditions we might encounter in that area over that time and if anyone is familiar with those areas.

Another option is the Wisconsin Dells area. If we would go there I would want to get over into Minnesota especially around the northern part of Lake Superior. Are the trails typically in pretty good condition by that time or is there still a lot of mud and are there a lot of black flies and bugs to deal with? I myself am not too concerned about bad trail conditions but DW is really not thrilled about hiking and biking through slop. I wish we could go in September but that’s not in the cards for this year.

Yeah I know this isn't really running related but I know some of you all are either from these areas or have been there so i was hoping to get some tips.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Another option is the Wisconsin Dells area. If we would go there I would want to get over into Minnesota especially around the northern part of Lake Superior. Are the trails typically in pretty good condition by that time or is there still a lot of mud and are there a lot of black flies and bugs to deal with? I myself am not too concerned about bad trail conditions but DW is really not thrilled about hiking and biking through slop. I wish we could go in September but that’s not in the cards for this year.

Nooooooooo.  Don't go to that tourist trap.  Hit Devil's Lake State Park (on a weekday if possible) and then continue to head North.  Go to the Superior Hiking Trail.  You can't go wrong anywhere up there on the North shore.  It's gorgeous and remote and peaceful.  Grand Marais is a nice little town if you want to go that far North.  There will be mosquitoes and ticks, but such is par for the course anywhere in the Midwest in late May/early June.  Conditions will depend on spring and how quickly we warm up and thaw out.  I would really recommend this trip in late summer/early fall if you were willing to wait until another year.  The changing of the leaves up there is spectacular.  If you go, do a night hike/run.  Turn off your headlamp and look up.  You'll see stars you've never seen before.

If you want to head toward the Porcupine Mountains, get a hold of NorthernHarrier.  He has a cabin near there.

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

DD1-- I'll second Mandy's suggestion about the Wisc Dells and northern MN.  the Dells is not worth it, IMHO, but the north shore is spectacular (admittedly a little biased as a Minnesotan).  It has been a very cold, snowy year so depending on how spring shapes up, the bugs may not be too bad in late May/early June.  Count on some, though.  We were there in early May last year and many of the lakes inland from Superior still had substantial ice.  My advice, if you go, is to make sure you get past Gooseberry Falls state park and Split Rock.  Most visitors only travel that far and the crowds thin significantly.  If you have time, I'd highly recommend Isle Royale NP, taking a boat out of Grand Portage.   I think it opens after Memorial Day, with more trips available in June.  Message me if you want more ideas-- I've camped at most of the parks and forests there, and know the area like the back of my hand.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yellowstone doesn't expect all the roads to be open until May 23rd. See their official page for road condition updates. Most roads will be open by May 3rd, so most of the park roads will be accessible. That says nothing about trail conditions. When we were at Yellowstone and the Tetons in late June one year, there were still high elevation trails that were blocked by snow, though most were clear and very passable.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

When my oldest daughter moved to Portland, OR, they drove much of what you are looking at.  I'll contact her for a map, as they stopped at several places along the way and got off the beaten path.

Agree the Dells is pretty touristy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Thanks for the replies. I'm not to excited about the Dells, that was more DW's idea. I had my heart set on going west.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if we will go anywhere this year.  I was looking at  starting a college course that I just found out has been changed to 2 years full time. This was supposed to be the last trip we take before it starts.  Just had a conversation with  them and found out that there are a lot of things to take care of prior to starting and it's all over the time that we would have went.  Now I'm having second thoughts about even starting the program. I will be spending a lot of money and greatly reducing my income and have no personal life to speak of for 2 1/2 years. Not sure it's worth it. Maybe if I was 24 instead of almost 49.  Decisions, Decisions