Trailer Trash

Question about distance (Read 53 times)

moonlightrunner

I am training for a 50k Sept 5. I have trained forbut never ran a marathon (it was cancelled at the last minute in December). I am training with someone who is right running the 50 mile at the same race venue. She has run 5 marathons in the last 6 months. I ran 20 with her last weekend. She would like me to run 30 on Saturday. Do you think that would be OK if I do a lot of walking? I don't want to be a wuss...but I don't want to get injured. BTW..it is all flat and slightly down hill. My 20 was hilly, technical.

What do you think?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Can you organize the run so that you're done at 20-25 and she runs the last few miles alone?  You don't need to get in a 30 mile training run for a 50K.  That said, it won't kill you if you decide to do it, especially if you don't have any nagging tweaks or anything that's bothering you injury wise.   But if it were me, I would tell her I would run part of it with her and bail out after 20+ miles and let her finish alone.

Also, all flat and downhill isn't as always easy as it seems!

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Honestly, I would say NO.  That's a pretty big jump since, if I remember correctly, the 20 was your longest run ever.  You wold normally have a cut back week this week and then do another 20 miler next weekend.  Can you do 1/2 of it with her?  Only advanced training plans would have you run 30 miles to prepare for a 50K (31 mile) race.

Agree with MM, that Flat doe not always equal easier.

Didn't you have some nagging soreness after your 20?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

I'm gonna agree. You don't need a 30 mile training run for a 50k. Save your race for race day. Especially since you mentioned the aches and what not after your most recent run.  Also jumping from 20 to 30 is a pretty big long run increase. Not advisable as a rule unless you have a real good base and maybe some history of real long stuff in the past. I wouldn't even go longer than about 22-24 myself.  But then again I have a friend that cruised thru a 50miler on a long run of a half-marathon so who knows really?

Occasional Runner

This sounds like a clear violation of the 10% rule.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I wouldn't do it, especially considering that the 20 miles were already somewhat challenging for you. All flat or downhill means that you will be running a lot, and it isn't a course  which lends itself to a lot of walking. Besides,  if you walk a lot,this isn't really a training run that helps your friend.

I'd run either the first 15-20, or the last part with her. That is a good distance for both of you, you both benefit from it, and it does not overwhelm either of you. Training together is ok, but if the performance levels are fairly different, you'll need to adjust the goals for the day.

I have done  a lot of running with my buddy, but when I'm getting closer to an ultra race,while he is aiming at a marathon, I have made the experience that our runs together don't work so well any more. While he  will then walk a lot, feeling that it is too hard for him, I don't get the running in that I need, and in the end, I feel that I have spent a lot of time walking when I would have needed to run, and I don't have the time available any more on that day to do some more running.

We usually then split up at some point, or I have him join me along the route, and each of us is happy with the arrangement.

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Since you have never done this distance before I agree with not running the 30 miler.  When I began marathons I really relied on the long run one weekend with a cutback the next weekend.  Don't do it.

Mandy:  Is it mean of me to mention that your hip problem happended shortly after you ran 29 miles for your 29th birthday. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy:  Is it mean of me to mention that your hip problem happended shortly after you ran 29 miles for your 29th birthday. 

Actually, it started later than that.  I comfortably ran 50 miles with no issues after my birthday run.  Not to mention 4 or 5 50Ks and 2 marathons before that.    It's congenital...it's not my fault it happened.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Sorry in my mind it was right after....I am guessing you have a better recollection.  

Actually, it started later than that.  I comfortably ran 50 miles with no issues after my birthday run.  Not to mention 4 or 5 50Ks and 2 marathons before that.    It's congenital...it's not my fault it happened.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sorry in my mind it was right after....I am guessing you have a better recollection.  

I forgive you. 

Running is dumb.

moonlightrunner

After  my 9 miler tonight with continued groin and right calf pain, I  think the 30 miles would be damaging.  Kelly, I am afraid I violated the 10% rule last weekend when I did the 20.  It was only supposed to be 17...but we got lost. I knew when she asked me to run 30 with a group it was a bad idea...I just wanted confirmation from you trail animals here.  Your experience and miles are inspirational, and I will probably follow your wisdom and not attempt 30.  Maybe 15 this weekend for my long run, followed by a 10 miler the next day.  What is the longest I should run prior to my 50?.  I was thinking 25 miles around August 15, then taper from there?

Thanks for the advice!  It is just so exciting to be running bigger miles, it feels really good, and it is really fun having a run buddy.  It has been a very long time since I ran with someone. It makes the miles go by quickly and easier. I am very excited about the race on Sept 5, but I want to get there without an injury.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Dirtrnr

We don't need no stinkin

A lot of knowledge and great advice so far.  If it was me, and it is not, I would try to run the last half or maybe the last 20 miles of the run with your friend.  You won't do as much walking and you can keep her company during the tougher part of her run.  As others have said, no reason to run 30 mile training run for a 50k.

LB2

I think what dirtmr wrote is a pretty good idea: run the last 20 of her run with her. You definitely don't need a 30 mile run for a 50K, not to suggest a 50K is no big deal. It is a big deal, but it doesn't warrant a 30 mile run. I think a 50 miler warrants a 50K, 4 to 6 weeks out. And preceded by one 8 to 12 weeks out. But that is just me. Some may need more. I need some rest.

I ran what I consider to be a pretty good 100K one year with a marathon distance training run, a 50k training run, and one 42 miler. I was terrified about the whole thing, so I took it easy. But I had a lot left in the tank when the whole thing was over.

LB2

Sandy-2

I also agree with what the others have said, you don't need to do the full 30 miles.  Run the later miles with your friend to keep her company.

tbd.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

In general, long runs are a disproportionately large portion of my running, especially if I'm not getting consistent weekly miles in.  I think the key to doing that is going into the long run (that's "too long") well rested and without nagging pains.  If you're not those two things, I would bail on it.  Also, FWIW, I find that if I run 2/3 of a distance, I can mentally wrap my head around the full distance pretty well...I don't think I'd do anything longer than 20-25 before your 50k.

**Ask me about streaking**