Trailer Trash

Mongol Derby Tracker (Read 33 times)

AT-runner

Tim

In case you want to follow Sandy's daughter at the Mongol Derby.

Good luck, Devan Horn !!!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Thanks AT!!!  I was going to put up a link, but I'm currently on a quick trip to China and due to "local controls" here the tracker site doesn't work. She is at the start camp and there is no cell coverage there so I haven't spoken to her in a couple of days.  But when I did speak with her prior to her going to the start she was ready to go.  I did tell her to try to get as much sleep as she could before the start.  Fat chance....  LOL.

Thanks Gang for the positive energy!!!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

That girl is impressive.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good luck to your DD!

Sandy, I hope you reminded her to bring an extra pair of pants, just in case... 

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Looks like Devan jumped out to an early lead.

Sandy-2

Talk about nerve wracking.  Here we go again.

I got a quick call from here last night, a really nice family with 6 girls had taken her in for the night between Urtuu's 3 and 4. What's one more girl right??? She sounded great and said she is good and having a great time. Lots of giggling in the background.

Here's a link to the tracking system: http://tracking.theadventurists.com/#mongolderby/mongolderby15/devan-horn

Here's a link to the Twitter posts: https://twitter.com/mongolderbylive

Queen of Nothing

Sue

If I am reading this right looks like a big lead.  How exciting especially staying with families who live there.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Devan is still in the lead.  Live blog said she had a pretty good fall but was back riding. Sandy, did you talk to her after the fall or before? I have a few horsey people from Gettysburg keeping an eye on her online, so tell her she's a National Superstar. 

Sandy-2

I mentioned this in the daily, but Day 2 was a tough day, the report said sun stroke and vomiting. She still headed out of the Urtuu and into the evening and then stayed with another local herding family by a lake for the night.  Day 3 will probably be another tough day, she has already been chased down and caught.  I'm hoping she rides with the Peloton for a few days and 'recoups on the move'.

By my very rough estimates, she rode about 80 miles on Day 1 (they start late on the first day due to ceremonies, etc.) and then she did 100+ miles on day 2.  All of that on her breakaway, by herself.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Nerve racking indeed, good luck Devan!

I hope she'll ride smart and wait it out in a good position to recover somewhat, until the race really gets into the mountains. Looks like there's still enough distance left to find the right time for an attack.

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

Really fascinating. I don't know anything about this kind of racing at all, but it seems like she's the one out there keeping the front of the field honest and gave herself a chance to run away with it. Didn't happen, ah well... the vomiting thing sounded unpleasant but at least she's through it, and I'm hoping she's in a little bit better position to recover at this point.

Wait, Devan, then go. Go go go!

LB2

Sounds like she is hanging in there. As I have said before, Sandy, that girl is impressive. She is smart and strong. And she shows up with a blackbean burger patty at just the right time at Damnation. I think she will be able to maintain her focus all the way to the finish.

LB2

Sandy-2

Thanks Burke!!! Yeah, she did rock DamNation at RR didn't she?

You guys will get Day 3 report before me, I'm going to bed now.  Devan spent 4+ hours in an Urtuu got an IV, and then came back and rode 'balls to the wall' and is one segment behind the leaders.

I think they held everyone in the first 2 Urtuus.

There has been a blackout of info for the last 3 hours, just got the tracker back a few minutes ago.

No call from Devan tonight, guess no signal there.

Sandy-2

Hmmmm, the 'balls to the wall' thing didn't work out so well, she got a 2 hr penalty because of slow pulse recovery of the horse.  But then during her 2 hr time in the 'penalty box' I got a call from Devan this morning (Sat).  Yay!!!  She sounded great, and said she is having a fantastic time (of course discounting the bonk and IV business) !!!!  I asked her about the slow recovery and she sheepishly said, 'yeah, I got a fat pony'.  By the way the pulse criteria is 56 pbm within 30 minutes of finishing each leg.  That's really tight, a tougher standard than she usually deals with when she is doing 100 milers on the same horse the whole time.  They are really looking after those little Mongolian Ponies.

I told her to take advantage of the 'penalty box' time to tank herself up on fuel and water. And keep the tank full with each Urtuu visit, let's see how that goes...

For those who remember my Hardrock report, she is the one that kicked me out of Grouse Gulch and made me climb up Handies when I was 'toasted and done'.  She is as tough as nails, I may not let her crew me again...  LOL.

Sandy-2

By the way, here's a photo of Devan and friends from Day 2.