Trailer Trash

Steamy Saturday (Read 23 times)

runtraildc

Got in a 5 mile slog with the running group this am.  Trails would have been a better idea (isn't it always?), but I also find motivation with this group.  Now working my way thru a pb2 chocolate protein smoothie.  Quite delicious, actually.

qotd:  I've gotten mentally 'soft'-- meaning that I'm motivated to run, but am having a tough time working thru the hard spots.  I've been slowing down, walking and in general, not working as hard as I'd like.  Anyone else having (or had) running slumps recently?   if so, what do you attribute the cause to (if anything)?  And any suggestions or tricks to get out of them?

LB2

I ran 30 miles late last night and carried over into this morning. I ran the fastest 30 miles I have ever run in 4:51:04 on a known distance course. I just never really got tired from the get go, plenty in the tank when I finished. I just did a little hike this morning to loosen up the quads.

QOTD: I have had some slumps for sure. I usually take a light week and things get back on track.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Just got back in from a 4.5 mile run/walk with DW.  Probably ran about 3 miles of it with a few sprints. Just enough to wake up the legs for tomorrow.

QOTD: I'll get slumps quite often, especially when I really want to just walk.  Between the walk training I was doing earlier this year, and doing a lot of power hiking my legs had gotten in the mood to walk more than run.  For awhile I was doing a lot of longer road runs and just forcing the legs to keep running. That seems to help me.  Sometimes I think we need to listen to our bodies and slumps can be a way of the body resetting itself.  After tomorrow I'm planning on taking some time to just run easy and do a lot of easy bike rides. Time to let my body and mind recover a bit. After a month or so I'll be feeling like pushing the pace again.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Finished 12 hrs of work.  Probably got in a few miles there already.

Soon heading out for a few shakeout miles in the heat.

QOTD: I sometimes slump, and sometimes just can't be as tough as I usually am mentally. When I slump, I change up my routines, run more roads, or more trails, and/or new routes. That seems to help.

When I realize that I don't have the mental toughness, which shows by walking as soon as I feel I'd like to, or running shorter than planned because it doesn't feel easy, I allow myself to "slack" sometimes, and try to "enforce" pushing through a rough patch very consciously. After two or three weeks of "mental training" like that, I'm usually back to my normal again.

Seems that usually I forget to be kind to myself, so my body/mind/brain take care of themselves and sneak in some "laziness". When I manage this request for laziness with more awareness, body/mind/brain are happy again and willing to go rough-tough and hard again.

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Almost six with the dogs this am...left a little late and it was hot!!  The dogs were dragging in front of me (yes that's possible) and I yelled what the f$$k is the matter with you guys get going and then promptly snagged a root and fell!!   Karma...

QOTD:  I have had many many slumps and I just go with it.  Like Marie said it's just our bodies way of taking a break.  Like today we walked quite a bite but I see did the 6 miles just slowly.  Also what DD said when you walk a lot of hills next thing you know you walk anything with a resistance, guess you need to resist that.  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NHLA

4 miles 30 min.  Tempo trail run. I have got to start training faster on trails.

qotd  run by time only on unknown distance.

some call me Tim

7 on the home trails today with a monsoon in the middle. Lots of fun!

qotd: sometimes a short break or dip in intensity will help, only if it's due to training fatigue, though. Otherwise I find running new routes makes a big difference or revisiting trail running media I find inspiring. There's a reason I keep mentioning Racing the Antelope on here. Salomon's short videos are a quick fix for me, especially the one with Bernd

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

about 20 miles and 5000-ish gain, some snow atop Casey Peak 

qotd: I had a Mother Nature slump for about two weeks when we had all that smoke, now I'm running like a mad man 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √