Trailer Trash

Transition Tuesday (Read 22 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers! Fall is near-- not because it has cooled off (it's going to be 90 here all week), but school started today, tomorrow is the first XC meet of the season and apples are in the farm market. And for weekend running? I got in my 5k road race at the beach yesterday. It was a small community event and fun. And by 'fun', I mean running on a really flat road, with no breeze and direct sun. It was also almost 80 degrees and nearly 100% humidity. Ugh. But I pushed myself harder than in recent times and I was (very) glad when it was over. Sunday was a humid trail run on packed dunes through the woods. My legs are not used to that soft surface and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I had the trails completely to myself as it was post-rain. Stepped on a smooth green snake that I thought was a twig.

MT- I've been meaning to post that I saw Tiny E's doppleganger in the Minneapolis airport a couple of weeks ago. I had to do a double take to make sure a stern, moustached man wasn't at the other end of the leash.

qotd: I always think of the first weeks of September as times of transition -- back to school, etc. Any transitions taking place in your life? DS 2 is off to HS, DS1 is still figuring out a gap year, applying to a bunch of conservation programs with Americorps. When something happens, he will probably take off pretty quickly and go out west (at least he hopes). And that's about it for me right now, boring, but just how I like it. Not much to gossip about me right now. 

LB2

No run this morning. I slept. I have been dealing with a bruised knee and a cut on the side of my right foot. I may try to run this afternoon.

QOTD: No transitions in life right now. And we don't hit fall weather until sometime in October or November down here.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I managed to run a nice 6 miles on Sunday.  I was going to ride my bike yesterday, but it rained all day so I didn't bother.

QOTD:  Well, pretty much everything.  We had to put Bella down and then I lost my partner, my family, and my home.  So...yeah.  I moved into my new apartment over the weekend.  Just me and the lizard now.

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

runtraildc, nice job on the fun 5k. Sounds too hot for me.  Plus I couldn't imagine trying to run fast these days.

Took a SRD yesterday and taking another one today.  My knee is acting up, I think it's from running in the loose dirt, sticks, bark, etc. on Saturday.  It felt fine on Sunday, but I guess it took two days to show up.  This getting old stuff is painful. I did go to the gym yesterday to do my core stuff and some light work, loosening and stretching on the knee, it helped.

qotd: being from the northeast Labor Day was always the end of summer and start of school.  Down here the schools start earlier, our district started 2 weeks ago.  I'm convinced that it is so the 'fall' sports teams (e.g. football) can start practices earlier.

As for transitions, nothing big going on right now, except maybe getting old (see above).

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

runtrail- funny, we saw another close looking pup on top of Mt Helena the other day- it was a male too; appeared that neither was really over impressed with the other, actually thought there was going to be a rumble 

chores this mornings and then a few miles with Tiny E

qotd: well..... today is my first day of being part time, have today and tomorrow off- work Thursday and Friday 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

No run yesterday, as I decided to play a round of golf instead in the afternoon and then lounged on the deck with beer afterwards. Decent day of driving the ball, but could not make putts thus did not score well. Just a normal round. Seems 86 is my number these days. Weird how many times I shoot that. I think Thursday I will head down to see the opening round of the BMW championship. It's rare to have the PGA here in the Philadelphia area and as a fed-ex cup tournament all the big names should be there.

Oh wait, this is not the golf forum.

Sunday, I ran about 10 with the gang down on the trails at Fair Hill preserve. Felt pretty good to start, but I was not hydrated properly, the humidity zapped me, and I sort of bonked the last few miles. Everyone waited for me at the last turn and it was a bit embarrassing. Plan to run 7 miles on my easy lake loop tonight. I guess it will be hot again.

QOTD: Not much new here. Same as it ever was. Could be some things changing in work realm next year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Another humid trail run in the books.  Can't wait for Saturday and our trip out west!  On an ironic note, I'm closing the pool up today and it's 90+ degrees.   Don't think that has ever happened before, but we'll be gone for the next 2 weekends, so time to close it.

dc - hot 5K does not sound good, but the beach part does.  Where were you, Bethany, Rehoboth, OC?

LB and Sandy - hows the forecast for you guys from Gordon?

Mandy - you never see a rainbow without a little rain.

Warden - Looks like Harrier will be fully acclimated to the high altitude by the time we show up looking like fish out of water.

XT - I played a tournament last week at Baltimore Country Club.  I missed 5 fairways by a total of 2 yards and each time had to hit out with a wedge due to high rough (no intermediate rough at BCC).  Sometimes you play well but just don't score well.

QOTD:  New hire at the office which is always a bit stressful since it changes the flow.  DD#2 started her clinical work for nursing.  I have to leave for work 5 minutes earlier so I don't get behind a school bus that stops 8-9 times before I get to my office.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

runtrail - What happened to the snake?  Glad to hear you got that "fun" 5K in.

I need to catch up with everyone over the weekend.  I was under the weather last week with a stomach bug then spent the weekend at the cabin.  Got 15 on Sat and another 15 on Sun.  This time of year, I like to look for wild apple trees along the trail.  The apples are pretty small and very sour, but a good refresher aside from boring water.

QOTD:  Nothing new here, except work will likely pick up with everyone returning from summer vacation.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LB2

It appears to be going to Gulfport/Biloxi. That means nothing for Sandy. For us, I hope it means cancelled school tomorrow and decent weather. If you have any experience with hurricanes, you will know that being on the west side of the storm is the best. That is true in all these storms, but Katrina was such a monster that we got hammered pretty badly even north of Baton Rouge. I have been pretty close to the center of some storms, hurricanes and typhoons, and I have been on the east (bad) side of a few, too. Katrina was really bad on the good side; the bad side was horrific. On top of that, people who did get out of the bad side ended up where we were, which is rural and not accustomed to a large influx of people, especially desperate people. I wasn't the mayor in my little town then; I was on the town council, though. It was nuts around there: fights over gas; no food in the stores; no power; roads blocked; people everywhere, and everyone packing heat (which if fine, but you know...). We stayed at my parents' house during the storm; once things calmed a little bit, we began to, literally, cut our way back to town (13.1 miles away) with chainsaws. I never want to go through anything like that again, and like I said, we were on the good side.

LB2

Sandy-2

Yeah, what LB2 said. The forecast here calls for scattered thunderstorms for the next 10 days so we won't even notice as Gordan slips by tonight and tomorrow morning.  We'll be well to the west of the storm.  Sorry for the folks in Biloxi, they'll be on the "dirty side" of the storm (i.e. the east side of the storm) when it makes landfall.

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

Berto the stomach bug hit me Sat night around midnight so I DNS'd my 50k on Sun, drove home and just laid around waiting to feel better.  It was a 3.2 mile loop through a pasture so not fun sounding at all.

My parents live in Ocean Springs so they aren't going to be happy but they have storm shutters (metal) for the windows and are pretty far inland.  That area has really built back up after Ivan and Katrina so hope they don't get hit by a Cat 5 again anytime soon.

I did 24 miles on the TM Mon and boy howdy that sucked.

QOTD: I have to go to KC next week and CO the week after.  DH's CTO is retiring so his job may be up for grabs for a couple of the Directors and then that Director's job will be up for grabs so DH may have a big transition which will mean more hours which will in turn trickle down to what I have to do at home.

runtraildc

Cape Henlopen-- the best section of delmarva beaches, IMO. Of course, assateague is a very close runner up.

And Sandy, I've run in Houston during the summer. This was on par with that experience.

Bert-- the snake just slithered off, while I screamed. It was tiny, but it's always the surprise factor for me. I actually like seeing snakes, except for the cottomouth crossing in NC. I could have skipped that one.

dc - hot 5K does not sound good, but the beach part does.  Where were you, Bethany, Rehoboth, OC?

Mandy, that sounds like a lot. I knew about Bella, but the other parts...I'm sorry to hear this.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Back to work after a great weekend with DW at the beach.  We ran, biked, swam our weekend away! Great beach weather. Kids were all at different family member homes for the weekend which meant we didn't have to worry about them fighting with each other.  Once we picked them up, it was back to normal again.  

Now I need to get myself together and get in some good running this month.  But it's back to summer weather.  WTF!

dhuffman - 24 on the dreadmill???? 

DC - I hope DS1 gets to where he wants to go.  Oh to be young and mostly carefree.

QOTD: Now we have 2 in middle school so that is a big transition.  I am done my doctorate but now picking up a bunch of teaching jobs.  That basically means I am back to being busy again.  But it's a transition to switch my frame of mind from a student to a teacher.  Not a huge transition as I have been teaching a little here and there but still...

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

TURD...

QOTD:  No transactions happening right now but I have 3 major ones I need to move forward on but being that they are major, I am just trying to ignore them.

AT:  Jess's family isn't Irish?  She sure looks Irish.  But fighting and drinking, than they must be Italian.

DC:  ..."My legs are not used to that soft surface and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be"    and "Stepped on a smooth green snake"  were you barefoot?    Couple of your lines tickled me...

Mandy:  I can't wait for a rainy day!   How did the move go?

MT:  Earl came from a littler of 11 I have ran into 2 people that recognized him as being related to there dog.  We did see his father once boating after we just got him.  Looked just like Earl only beefier.  You're part-time!!!!   AWESOME!!!!   so happy for you.  Wish my job would allow me to be part-time.

Duffman:   24 miles...how long does that take!

From my long run Sunday...

When you see a rock that looks like a penis you must climb on it!

Image may contain: Sue Piscatella, smiling, outdoor and nature

Donner lake

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Looks like fall...felt like summer!

Image may contain: mountain, nature and outdoor

Image may contain: mountain, plant, sky, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Covered railroad tracks in the distance

Image may contain: mountain, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dhuffman63

Trails

Sue it took me 6 and 1/2 hours.  I wanted 34 to make up for missing the 50k but my stomach was acting up so I pulled the plug. I listen to Audible books and get into the stories so it doesn't bother me much.  I set up a mini AS in the kitchen and got off every 6 miles, ate, peed, then moved on.  I can try all sorts of things out and if craptastrophes happen I'm close to a toilet.

That hike looked hot, was it?  And of course you had to sit on the rock...lol.