Trailer Trash

A tale of two races...Oil Creek 100k (Read 25 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Oil Creek 100k felt like two different races run on the same day.  Imagine that.

Race 1: It’s 6am and dark.  Runners make their way to the start line outside of Titusville Middle School from the comforts of the cafeteria.  It’s a go, headlamps on.  We’re off and heading down the road and bike path to hit the trail.

A dozen or so runners take off and I somewhat follow.  The majority of the crowd is hanging back though.  I made a decision to run a comfortable but not so slow pace to get to the trailhead.  The trail climbs slight and is rocky.  This slows things down considerably.  It’s dark. It’s lightly raining.  It’s foggy.  It’s 61 degrees.  It’s HUMID.  This was trouble only 2 miles into the race.  I am wearing a long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve shirt anticipating that it was cooler and damp but it was humid.  The humidity is a surprise.  I lose the group that went out fast.  I can no longer see their lights.  I also don’t hear runners behind for a bit.  It’s too early to be by myself.  Shortly one catches up to me.

I completely expect him to pass me and keep running but he seems content to stay right behind me.  We chit chat for a little – mostly about the weather, the course, and running in general.  It’s clear he is not trying to pass me so I keep chatting away.  Maybe after 2-3 miles of running together, I learn this runner’s identity.  After telling me his buddy is running the Green Monster this weekend, I knew right who it is.  Small world.  Tim (blarg) told me to look for his buddy Matt in this race.  Never did I think we would be running together for a bit.  We run together for 8 or 9 miles.  His knowledge of the course is great.  He gives me the intel.  We cruise into AS#1 at 7.1 miles and I am sweating bullets. I should take the time to change my shirt but no one seems to be lingering at the AS so neither do I.  The darkness has lingered so long that it wasn’t until AS 1 (close to 7:30am) that we could turn headlamps/handhelds off.  With the clouds, rain, fog and perpetual mist, it remains dark this deep in the woods.  After the AS, we start the climb up sWITCHback mountain.  We climb a bunch of switchbacks and I comment to my new trail friend how we should be grateful since all of our central PA races do not have switchbacks – just straight up the mountain (that’s for you blarg!).

We hit some real nice runnable single track.  We are moving along well, chatting.  A third runner is hanging on with us.  Somewhere around mile 12, my new trail friend takes the lead of the little trail train we have going on.  I may be slowing and am not realizing it.  It isn’t long before the third runner passes me and I now know I am slowing down because I lost sight of both runners. I estimate that it shouldn’t be long before the next AS at mile 14.  AS #2 is a big hub.  It’s where the first drop bags are and I am extremely grateful.  I roll in and people are everywhere.  I change my sweaty shirt.  I change out of my pack and switch to a handheld water bottle.  I even change my shoes.  I head off and hit another climb.  Three of the four Aid Stations are followed by a climb.  After meandering up the mountain, I am able to stretch the legs on some nice runnable wide trails.

Unfortunately, I am not running well and realize that mostly likely all of the sweating I did took more out of me than I thought.  I was also battling a headache which I woke up with.  I cannot shake it.  It is here that I start to get in my head.  I am slowing.  Section three was 8.8 miles but Matt told me it was runnable.  It is – mostly.  It is still lightly raining and the trails are getting muddy.  This section feels like it is going on longer than it should. I finally roll into AS #3.  That section took me close to two hours. I check my cell phone for time since I am running without my watch.  It was past 11am and my hopes of a 6:30 first loop is out of the picture.  I was stuck in my head again.  I leave the AS after some good food, and start climbing.  Section four was my least favorite.  It has three good climbs and some fairly technical trails.  The first four miles or so are mostly climbing and winding rocky/root filled trails.  Once it was runnable, I slowly try to make up some time.  It just isn’t happening.  By this time, I am passing the slower 100 milers and being passed by the faster 50kers.  I am trying to figure out how to salvage this loop. Coming off the trail, there is a mile loop at the Drake Well Museum and then about 1.5 mile paved bike path/road to AS #4 also known as race headquarters. The weather somehow suddenly changes to blue skies, brilliant sunshine and virtually no humidity as I exit the trail onto the road. The temperature stayed in the low 60’s.  Unfortunately, I come in to AS#4 feeling terrible and still…stuck in my head.  I come in to the halfway point at 7:10.  It was not what I was hoping for and my brain is telling me that a 7:50 2nd loop is not possible the way I am feeling.  As I pass the timing mat, I see a tent with a couple older ladies sitting next to a bucket filled with the ankle chips for timing and a sign that says “DNFs – Drop here – Leave your ankle chip”.  With my car a mere 100 feet away and the bucket looming, I am…stuck in my headWhile I never gave dropping a serious thought, it was very tempting.  While at the AS, I take care of some business (uh, chaffing) and eat some food.  I ask the AS for ibuprofen since I still have a headache.  But I get the obligatory “no, sorry we are not allowed to carry any or give any to runners”.  I ask the paramedics who were sitting around the corner.  Nope.  After sitting for a bit, I decide to get back out there.  The thought of another 31-mile loop was a bit daunting but I didn’t drive this far, train this long, sacrifice this much to DNF.

Race 2: With the weather now absolutely what I imagined for the race, I run down the paved path and hit the trailhead.  I start computing what kind of time I need on each of the 4 sections to get close to my goal of 15 hours.  I was stuck in my head.  And my math skills at this point are poor at best with running brain.  I make my way along some rocky and root filled trail and pass a 100 miler who was walking slowly.  I ask her for ibuprofen.  She doesn’t have any on her but says she does at her drop bag.  Uh, with that being about 12 miles away, I am not waiting for that.  I thank her and continue on.  And then something happens.  I find myself all alone.  I run alone for the next 5 miles into AS # 1.  It was great! It was rejuvenating and partially what I needed.  I snap a couple pictures along the way.

I enjoy this great section of trail and make my down the steep descent into AS # 1 at Wolfkiel Run for the second time.   I enjoy some good food here and sit trying to calm my thoughts.  A runner next to me is getting some first aid from a volunteer.  I take my liberty and ask, figuring it cannot hurt, if the volunteer has any ibuprofen--  same answer as before.  I kind of put my head down but just as I do the runner spoke up and said “hey there is some Advil there on the table”.  The volunteer then said oh yeah, we have Advil.  So I grab some like a kid eating his first piece of Halloween candy.  Then I have the following conversation in my head – So you don’t have ibuprofen, but you have Advil? You can’t give out ibuprofen but you have Advil to give out? No ibuprofen, but Advil? Ok back to reality, I head out on the second time up sWITCHback mountain.

Section 2 of the second loop is where I am having a blast and possibly making up time (although I do not care too much anymore.)   The ADVIL (not ibuprofen) is kicking in.  This section brings some great and carefree running.  There is a long gradual uphill but I do not care.  The down hills are also long and gradual and great for running.  As I roll into AS#2 for the second time, I know I need to grab my gear for night running.  It is shortly after 5pm and the sun will set by 7.  I grab my pack, my handheld light, get some food and head out.  I am still in my head trying to figure out if I can make up time on the “back half”.  I want to get to AS#3 before it gets dark.  I am feeling good for this entire section but I can tell I am not running fast.  The legs are just not turning over efficiently.  But I am feeling good.  It makes me think – would I rather run well but feel terrible or run not so well but feel great.  Definitely the latter.   This section is beautiful.  All four sections have their own unique characteristics.  I hit my favorite moment of the race.  With the sun setting over the ridge on the other side of the ravine, I see a colorful sky.  I also see beams of sunlight showing through the tall trees to reveal what appears to be beams of flashlight through the Forrest.  My phone is well kept in my pack so no pictures but the mental picture is one I will never forget.  Unfortunately I do not make it to AS#3 before dark.  I turn on the lights and roll into AS#3.  The food at this point was amazing.  I was so hungry, I would have eaten anything.  But they have sliders! I could stay a while and eat but let me go.  I have a race to finish.

Section 4 of the second loop is going to be completely in the dark and it is the deepest part of the woods.  It is dark, I mean dark.  I stop at one point and shut my lights off.  Nothing.  Pitch black! I turn them back on and carry on.  I was able to catch a few 100 milers.  After walking behind them for a bit, I realize they are not going to go any faster.  It is here that I am in my head again.  I know I will not reach my goal of 15 hours but my secondary goal is to not get beat by the 100 mile winner.  Last year the finishing time was 17:04 and with an hour head start on me, I would need to beat 16:04 if the finishing time was the same.  It was in this section I thought the 100 mile leader would be passing by.  They would need to finish the 3 loops and then run an extra 7 mile loop for the 100.  And then I hear “on your left” and there he is.  As fast as can be he is passing us.  I say to the other runners, “I knew he would be passing at some point in here”.  They asked “is that the leader?”.  That is my assumption based on time and how fast he looks.  Now it begins.  I pass the 100 mile walkers and start running…or something like that.  Once I pass the connection between the 7 mile loop and the big loop, I know that the 100 mile leader could come up on me at any time.

It’s dark.  The temperature is really dropping.  I am constantly looking in back of me.  Where is he? Where is that headlamp bobbing? Is he going to beat me? I am moving as fast as my dead legs can take me.  I am stuck in my head.  I cannot help but to be paranoid by getting beat by the 100 miler leader.  I am making my way down the descent to end my trail time for the day…a long day.  I hit the end of the trail and forced to do my second Drake Well Museum Loop.  Ugghhhh! I hate this loop.  Can’t I just cut this loop out and cross the bridge? Pretty please? (in my head).  “What’s your number?” asked the volunteers -  “640”.  Wait, did I say 640 or 460? I don’t know.  I chug along and can’t get out of my own head.  I catch one runner (well walker really) and then cross the bridge.

Now I am really looking behind me to see if that 100 miler leader is coming off the trail.  I know he should be on that coming home loop which gets to skip the mile Drake Well Museum loop.  Is that him? No…oh thank God! I chug along the paved path back to the school…to the finish.  I can almost taste it.  Hundred milers are coming the other direction going out for their third loop.  Plenty of “good job” and “keep it going” but there is only one thing on my mind – don’t get beat.  I pass a runner.  I look back.  More shuffling, more chugging.  I walk.  Wait, what am I doing? Get this thing done! I hit the road section and know it’s only two turns and the straight away.  I look back.  Huh?!? I see a head light bobbing! I run faster albeit not much faster. I turn the corner and…look back.  Still bobbing.  Bobbing like that means running.  That can’t be him, can it? He should be beating me by now.  I turn the final corner and can see the airport lights guiding me in.  I run faster…or at least I thought I was.  People cheering.  I can see the race director.  Just before crossing the finish, I look back one more time.  The light is still bobbing but way back.  The race director assures me I am ok.  I cross.  A few seconds later, after hearing more cheering I look back to see…another 100k runner – NOT the 100 mile winner.  Despite the paranoia during the last section, it helped me to finish strong and I am happy with the effort.  16:01 and change. Good for 26th place of 80+ finishers and close to 100 starters.

Reflection:

Love this course.  Great volunteers, set-up, food, start/finish accommodations.  I was glad to be done and could not imagine going out for a third loop all through the night.  Maybe one day.  I took a shower and had a very hard time keeping my body temp up.  I was shivering something fierce even in a hot shower.  I slept, sort of, and drove home early the next day.  I reflected on the race the entire drive home.  If the race had not turned around like it did the second loop, I might be swearing off ultras.  It’s so strange how longer races can turn so quickly – both for the good and the bad.

My training for this race was ok.  I am minimally sore a few days later.  I definitely need to get more trail time in to get better trail legs leading up to races.  I just did not have the time to get in long runs on trail.  I did absolutely underestimate this course.  It does not compare to the beasts of the east like Grindstone, MMT or Eastern States but it’s no slouch.

I had an outside thought of doing OC for my first 100 miler…in 2017.  But I think I will give it all more time.  I have no reason to be in a rush.  For now, I need to take some time off, finish my stinkin’ dissertation and then figure out what is doable for me. Happy trails.  

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Jamie-  a big congrats! It's really cool that you felt better towards the second half of the race; I don't think that's ever happened to me. And I'm totally with you on feeling good (but slower) vs feeling bad (but faster).

While you were hoping for a slightly faster time, the fact that you felt good that far into the race is a huge deal and probably indicates your training might have been better than you're giving credit for.

I feel like like such a virgin with all the race reports coming in, I haven't even ran a 50 yet!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Great report and congrats on a really good finish. I can see why that race is so popular.  Maybe in 2018 I can run the 100k and try to keep ahead of you while you run the 100 miler .

Some people stagger across the finish line looking like they are really done in and ready to collapse. Others, like this dude stride across looking like he's ready for another 37 miles .

Looking pretty good there!!!

I happened to notice that the person who finished just behind you was from Carlisle, almost a next door neighbor.   And I think AT's one friend finished 2nd although I may have some names mixed up in my head and be wrong about that.

LB2

That was a great race report. Congratulations. It really is quite interesting how quickly catastrophe can turn to triumph and triumph can turn to catastrophe. I am glad it was the former for you at Oil Creek. Also, the best personal experience of that happening to me was also in a 100K. But I have had it happen and seen it happen at every distance.

LB2

some call me Tim

Yes!! Congrats, Jamie! I see such patience in your report - a lot of times things are not going perfectly and you just keep moving through. You may have been in your head a lot, but it didn't cause your race to fall apart. And that ending sequence in your report was great.

I haven't yet been able to talk to Matt and don't know what caused him to drop after one loop, but he would've done well to stick with you for longer. Anyway, it's great you guys met up early and he was able to give you an idea about the course from all his pacing experience. I've really wanted to do this race and now even moreso.

Oh, and switchbacks sounds great, thank you very much :P

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Jamie. Glad I didn't hurt you on your taper run. Hope the recovery goes well.

Dd- Dan Mowers was 2nd place. He's a really nice guy and besides being a regular top 10 finisher is a pretty good MTB'er as well.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job Jamie--worrying about times makes us focus on the finish and not being in the present.  Glad you got your head turned around and had a great finish.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

warden - you get a pass because your Montana races up the difficulty level regardless of the distance!

DD - 2018 it is! I may just hold you to it.

LB2 - it is not of the things that intrigues me about ultras - seeing that things can turn the way they do.  I was absolutely in awe of the 100 milers.

blarg - tell Matt I said hi when you see him.  I am not sure him sticking with me would have helped him.  After I mentioned my goal was 15 ours, he said that sounded like a good idea and that 6 hours for the first loop would be good and set us up for a good 2nd loop.  I never said anything but 6 hours seemed a stretch - at least for me.  Turns out I was right.

AT - the run with you was actually really good for me - mentally.  It helped me to get back to where I needed to be.

Queen - although I was focused a bit on time, I did have a blast.  Gorgeous trails.  My pics are not great as my phone is prehistoric and doesn't take great pics.

The whole "in my head" was really a theme for how I am.  I am like that most days.  It seemed to be a bit exaggerated  during this race but wasn't always a bad thing.  I do a lot of good things in my head.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

Nice write up on a great race, congratulations Jamie!

Maybe someday I'll get to try this race!

Sandy-2

Jamie, thanks for the RR.  Quite interesting.  I like how you seemed to get it together once you were "on your own".  I also seem to like being out there with my own thoughts and reminding myself to keep it together and make sure I stay on trail. I also think it's good being alone in order to "keep your head in it", it's only you and your dive to get it done.  It's good to meet up with people out there but I do seem to like my alone time as well.

Congratulations!!!

tbd.

Keep Going

Congratulations Jamie awesome job! OC is not a walk in the park I totally agree. That back stretch has barely any aid except for one major station. The trails are somewhat "spooky" there. Really dense and quiet. It is the perfect first 100 miler, so if you decide to take the leap I would strongly encourage you to do it there. Of course I'm biased as it was my first 100.

100 milers are my favorite