Trailer Trash

crazy times in the Crazies (Read 38 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

had a good adventure in the Crazy Mountains yesterday, ended up at 27 miles w/ just under 8000' of vert (and 9.5 hours on my feet!)

my plan was to try to put together a 20-25 mile "doable" loop, I've tried several times before but the off trail scrambling has always turned out sketchy

this time I would park at Sunlight trailhead, veer to the South and pick the South Fork of the Shields River trail, it's a dead end trail but I had hoped to continue a couple of miles off trail and scramble out of the head end of the drainage over to the Elk Ck side, pick up a trail that lead up and over into Campfire Lake, continue down the Middle Fork of Sweetgrass Ck, pick up the Sunlight trail, up and over down to the truck

right off the bat I missed the turn for the SF trail and went about a mile and half past it (bonus miles!), the trail was very little used (and maintained) and I would constantly lose and pick up the trail  When the trail petered out for good the bushwhacking was slow and tedious until I finally ended up at the head end.  What I found was a very steep walled cirque w/ no good looking route.  I spent almost a half hour surveying and was about to call it quits and head home when I found some elk tracks in a snowfield heading up.  Typically animals know the best/easiest routes so I followed in.  Unfortunately this elk didn't and I was soon in a heck of scramble (the don't look down kind )  I finally scratched my way to the top and quickly picked up the Elk Ck trail.  From that point things went pretty smoothly.  It was really hot though and I had to employ several different cooling strategies.  I would fill my bladder w/ snow to keep the water cool, put snow in my ball cap, linger in the many creek crossings and soak up to my thighs at the lakes.

all in all, a great trip, but it's back to the drawing board for a doable route

looking back down the SF of the Shields drainage

a couple of different angle of the cirque I had to scramble out of and the snow field where I picked up the elk track I followed up and out

getting close to Campfire Pass

Campfire Lake

the outlet of Campfire Lake had a dandy snow bridge it carved out

a "butthole" sandwich, lightly toasted bagel, smothered with peanut butter, layer cooked bacon on and then liberally spread honey over the top- a nice 600+ calorie boost 

Moose Lake

lower Sunlight Lake- took a nice soak right next to the snow overhang

upper Sunlight Lake, about 2/3's still frozen

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Boy do I envy where you get to run and live.  All the pictures are beautiful, but Moose Lake looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Awesome, just epic.

Like AT, I'm envious of your runs, but not so much of you living in Siberian conditions for most of the year.

Questions: "Bushwacking": Is it really through the bushes (low vegetation), or mostly grassy (or similar) areas?

In my quarters, you can get stuck in the brambles quickly when getting off trail.

Easiest routes of animals: I think 4 legs outclimb 2 legs, especially on snow and rocks. Glad you made it up in one piece!

The rocks look large and sharp - are the trails very technical, or is it the boulder fields with the lots of rocks, and trails are easier?

What altitude are we looking at, and what were the daytime temperatures?

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

Warden...you are lucky to live in such beauty and I envy your ability to do what you do. I can't imagine ever going off trail...my god I would get so lost...pretty sure I would die out there. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

Fabulous country.

Another question to add to FTYC's kist. How do you navigate when off the trail?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks all 

Awesome, just epic.

Like AT, I'm envious of your runs, but not so much of you living in Siberian conditions for most of the year.

Questions: "Bushwacking": Is it really through the bushes (low vegetation), or mostly grassy (or similar) areas?

In my quarters, you can get stuck in the brambles quickly when getting off trail.

Easiest routes of animals: I think 4 legs outclimb 2 legs, especially on snow and rocks. Glad you made it up in one piece!

The rocks look large and sharp - are the trails very technical, or is it the boulder fields with the lots of rocks, and trails are easier?

What altitude are we looking at, and what were the daytime temperatures?

"bushwhacking" is just my general term for going off trail below tree line, this was slow going because of a lots of blow down, I'd have to pick my one way and then another, some brush, but mostly downed trees that made it difficult going

some sections of the trail are pretty technical, some very runnable- most of the sections that go through talus/scree fields are usually pretty tough to run on, too many rocks and they are constantly shifting- I went down pretty good one time

one other thing that slowed things down were many of the trails had running water right down the middle of them, typical this time of year w/ the snow melt and improves through the summer

trail head was ~ 6500', the two bigger passes are ~ 9500'

it was hot for the mountains, probably got up to the mid to upper 80's (temps in the morning were pleasant 50's); we're going through a record breaking heat wave- I think we've broke records the last four days, in town it got up to 103 yesterday   ditto for today

Daydreamer- I mostly rely on a 24,000:1 topo map, I carry a compass if needed- of late I added some really nice software to my "smart" phone, Gaia GPS- it lets you download any size topo map (any scale- I use 24k:1 for the detail) and then uses your gps in the phone, effectively making it like any other handheld gps unit, the beauty of the phone is it's also your camera (and phone!)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

That is really awesome.

LB2

Sandy-2

+1 !!!!!!!!

Boy do I envy where you get to run and live.  All the pictures are beautiful, but Moose Lake looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

slosh

Looks like an awesome adventure! Thx for sharing.

some call me Tim

Wow, stunning! Once again, thanks for allowing us to live vicariously through you. I really look forward to your photo-laden recaps, and the level of uncertainty following that questionable elk trail sounds great.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

The only thing we don't have running in the mountains down here in arizona...alpine lakes.  They sure look nice, we're lucky to run across a seep spring that has a trickle of water coming out.  Plotting out and attempting to figure out new routes in the mountains is a lovely way to spend a day.

DigDug2

Envious, as always - great trek, thanks for the report and pics.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks everyone!

while I enjoy races (even though I'll never be better than a middle of pack runner- that's best case scenario) and that they keep me motivated as far as training goes; running in the backcountry, totally unsupported is where my true love lays 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

What I wouldn't give for your back yard! 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday