Trailer Trash

Ducky Thursdaily (Read 42 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Jamezilla: Great long run, and good lessons learned. There is a special "mixing bottle", I think Hammer sells them, and they are also available in many grocery stores, maybe that will do it? Or just add a few rocks to the bottle before shaking it?

jonfer: your career sounds tough - perhaps you thought you'd get out of the getting up early as a fisherman by changing jobs, then there come the sinking fishermen right back again!

lace_up: Sounds like you're under the weather, both literally and figuratively!

TMO: nice morning workout!

Jamie: Hope your body will cooperate soon again! Wonky ankle?

DD2: Good run before the rest!

dpc: Have a fun run later!

Edit: Harrier: Dentist, rain, speedwork - sounds, well, great!  Black eye  Hope you'll still enjoy the day!

TT: Hard to tell what to prefer, views in winter, or no views in summer. Anyways, the choice about what's on is not ours!

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

SRD today- which I'm also hoping allows the trails to get at least semi-dried out, that last wet snow we got really mudded things up (we need the moisture so can't gripe about)

qotd: definitely not a night owl- anything past 10:00 pm is late for me Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Low_O2

2.8 around the hood last night. Almost feels like a waste to run that short these days, but trying to stick with the plan and taper. SRD today.

Jamezilla- nice miles, sounds like a great run!

QOTD: A bit of both. Mostly an early bird, but since I also enjoy staying up at night it makes it tough to get up early some days. If I would actually go to bed at a decent time I think I would be a full blooded early bird.

Morning, Trailers. Yesterday I ran in the summer heat here in Philly and had my first asthma attack of the year. My own fault that I neglected to prepare...

Today is a SRD for me. My last long-long run of this training season will be tomorrow, 22 miles. Then I have a trail marathon in 2 weeks and then taper time for 50k! Seems crazy how fast the past few months have gone by.

Jamezilla - My dad lives in Rockland county, and I'm always looking for new runs when I visit. Sounds like a nice spot to run.

QOTD: Definitely a night owl, always have been. So by nature and nurture, I suppose. I am also an evening runner, because that's when I have the most energy. AM runs are fun, but I would really need to change my entire lifestyle to make it a regular occurrence.

muppy

Good morning!

Plan to run for a bit tonight after work, I will run until my little boy calls me that he's done at track practice. So probably for about an hour or so.

QOTD My last job I would start at five in the morning and now usually get up about anywhere from 330 to 415 to run, So I guess that makes me an early bird.

XtremeTaper

Good morning all!

Had to fit in yesterday's run in during the midday heat (hahaha) and only had time for a short 5 mile loop on the lake trails with the dog. It was 88 degrees which is about 40-50 degrees warmer than the previous week. I am glad to have a few hot runs this week seeing I will be running a race in GA in 10 days. Plan is to get the dogs out tonight for 7-8 trail miles. May be some rain, but the big T-boomers rolled through here last night and cooled things off. More seasonable today.

QOTD: I'd say neither. I don't mind getting up early for a race or fun long run but don't do so on a regular basis.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

jonferg67

Endless trails

My DW is from Rockland County too. I go here when we visit; http://www.nynjtc.org/park/hook-mountain-state-park

There's also a cool trail near south mountain road that traverses a ridge for a good 8 mile out n' back, but I forgot

where the trailhead was.

Also, in Nyack there's a little parking lot and a multi use trail that runs along the Hudson.

Jamezilla - My dad lives in Rockland county, and I'm always looking for new runs when I visit. Sounds like a nice spot to run.

My DW is from Rockland County too. I go here when we visit; http://www.nynjtc.org/park/hook-mountain-state-park

There's also a cool trail near south mountain road that traverses a ridge for a good 8 mile out n' back, but I forgot

where the trailhead was.

Also, in Nyack there's a little parking lot and a multi use trail that runs along the Hudson.

Yes, I've been on the South Mountain trail....there's a trailhead directly behind the condos where my dad used to live!! He had no idea this beautiful was right in his backyard.  Gorgeous views, I highly recommend it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=south+mountain+road+new+city&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c2c365c5f1f77f:0xbf4167dac96a43a1,S+Mountain+Rd,+New+City,+NY+10956&gl=us&ei=yshmUZvbKpCY9QTDShyDQDw&ved=0CDMQ8gEwAA

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/south-mountain-county-park

Good to know about Hook Mountain, thanks for the rec.

Birdwell

morning folks! 6.5 this morning, but it was struggle. Just one of those runs I didn't feel like doing (for no good reason) and had to force myself through.

QOTD: mornings. I'm trying to get up before 5 on a regular basis, Some days I win, some I lose. . .

Ultra Cowboy

I'll do a headlamp trail run this evening as my last run before Saturday's trail half marathon.  These evening runs are getting later as the days get longer.  Last nights easy 3 miles, followed by yoga really helped dissipate soreness from the race last Sunday.

QOTD:  I lean toward evening owl tendencies.  But I grew up on a dairy and so doing morning chores made me an early riser.  I tend to wake up earlier on the weekends than during the week.  Usually it is 'cause I have something to do and someplace to go.  If my running times are any indication 80% of my runs are after 5:00 pm

WYBMADIITY

Save

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

FTYCouch - I have a mixing bottle...that's probably the way to go.  I'm mixing 2 scoops with enough water to fill an 8oz flask.  I thought it was going to be a "stiffer" batch so I mixed in a plastic bag with a spoon.  I ended up making a mess in my car and getting sticky in the process.  I'll give the mixing bottle a shot...ty

**Ask me about streaking**

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I mix 2-3 scoops in a 10-oz bottle. First just 2 scoops (for drop bags, I use a ziplock-bag with pre-measured powder, where I have cut off one corner, not too much, of the ziplock bag to use it as a funnel to get the powder into the bottle; just fold the cut off corner a few times and tape it shut again, with a "tab" on the scotch-tape to open it quickly when needed) plus water to fill the bottle about 2/3, shake well. Then I add the third scoop, shake, add more water as needed. The perpetuem dissolves fairly easily, and it takes a lot of powder and very little water to actually get it to be "paste-like" (I never got to that point, mine is really more like an average-to-thin pancake batter).

If I can gather enough 10-oz bottles with leakproof lids in my household to have a bottle in each drop bag, I fill the powder into the bottles, and add the water at the aid station later, so that the perpetuem does not spoil. That avoids the ziplock-bags, although this method also works fairly quick and mess-free.

Edit: The heavy-duty freezer bags (the small size, is it quart?) work better as a funnel than the flimsy storage bags, which often bend during transferring the powder into the bottle, and cause a spill!

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

No rest for me today. I taped up my ankle (first time doing that) and went for a run/walk with DW. I went one way around the loop and she met me coming the other way. So I ended up with about 3 miles of running and 2 miles of walking. First run in 11 days and I was slooooow. The ankle held up Ok and feels good enough that I will end up doing a session on the elliptical later. Tomorrow I may try a actual trail run and see how I make out.

QOTD: Confirmed night owl. I have no idea how people can get up early in the morning and have any desire to do anything. There should be a law against having to get out of bed before 9am Sleepy. For some reason I just have a lot more motivation later in the afternoon and early night hours. If I could choose I wouldn't go to bed until 2 am and then get up around 9 am. For me this is determined by nature. I've worked all sorts of odd shifts. Even when I was working a straight day shift and getting up at 5 am my body and mind just wanted to rebel.

Irish Luck

Headed out for 4 or 5 miles today. Hoping the rain holds off. I'm hoping that tonight's run is leaps and bounds better than Tuesday's, when I had to stop every .5 - 1.0 to catch my breath.  (still recovering from being sick)

QOTD: early bird, but not nearly as early as some of the wake up times I see posted. I'm an after-work runner, but must be asleep by 10 at the latest (I need my sleep--at least 7.5 hours every night).

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

Snowdenrun

Morning!

Yesterday my plan was to get in a longer run. 12+ miles. As soon as I started I instantly wanted to turn around. The first 5 miles were HARD. But I just kept running along. Eventually I fell into some sort of running groove. Not easy, not really comfortable, but not hard. At some point that awesome little voice buried deep inside my head said "It'd be cool if you could run longer than your longest run", which was 16.5 miles. Then I thought "18 miles. 18 miles. Get 18 miles."  I figured I was running about 5-5.5 mph pace and planned it so I would be home around the 3 hour mark. When I made it home and saw 3:08:15 on my watch I was already happy with myself. Then I figured out how far I ran and... 20.18 miles! I was ecstatic! This was new ground for me and I just kicked ass! It's amazing what can be accomplished with I let that little strong voice over ride all the negative voices.

QOTD: Evening owl. Mostly by nature, but also currently by occupation. I don't get off work until 10pm. But with the quick time change going on I'm finding it much easier to get up earlier.