Trailer Trash

Thursdailies (Read 39 times)

Marley and I held our icy trail run to 3 miles.  Something doesn't feel right in the side of my right foot.  I am hoping it is a slight strain or sprain and not a stress fracture.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am planning on 6-7 miles after work today.  We're having a heat wave!

Meanwhile, I think Kelly is running like a billion miles through the jungles of Brazil right now.

QOTD: Have you ever picked up a hitch hiker?  Why/why not?

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I will try and get in a few tonight.  I used to be a morning runner but have turned back into a night runner.

Mandy - enjoy the heatwave...however long it lasts.

Anybody know if Kelly can be followed via the net in the Brazil 135? I did not see any way to do so on the website.

QOTD: No.  I am not sure I have a reason why not.  Maybe I am always in a hurry.

On that note....got to go...have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Ended up doing yoga instead of running yesterday.  So, I'll get yesterday's 4 miles in today.  And maybe more yoga.  It felt good.

qotd:  Yes, just once- a kiteboarder who got blown downstream and couldn't make his way upwind to his launch on the beach.   He was walking along the road, trying to get back to his car.  We picked him up and brought him back.    It was over a mile away and in a wetsuit, carrying his gear, it would have been a long and uncomfortable mile.

AT-runner

Tim

7 miles crunching the icy snow.  Not a sole out there besides me.  Very nice morning.

Kelly Tracker  - You can also click on map view to see where he is.

QOTD:  Yes.  I pick up AT thru hikers often.  They come off the trail and want to go the 10+ miles to see Gettysburg and/or restock.  They always smell the same.  They are always happy for some trail magic.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

5 to 7 after work.

QOTD: If it is someone I know, I will pick them up, but if I don't know them, I won't. Actually, I will pass some folks by that I know.

One funny story about hitch hikers was told to me by a guy who used to work for my dad. He was driving down the road and saw Cleon Melton walking. He pulled over and asked him, "Cleon, you need a ride?"

Cleon responded, "Naw, Jesse, I'm kinda in a hurry."

The story behind Cleon was that he was close to being a genius, but when he went away to college, somebody slipped something in his drink and "made him go crazy..." I have heard that same story about two different weirdo's who walk up and down the road all the time. I almost ran over one about 8 o'clock one night. He was walking on the center line of the highway in camo, at night. I missed him by inches.

LB2

sugnim

Good morning all.  I went out for a frigid and sleepy 6 miles along the foggy river this morning.  I slipped on the ice & fell face down at one point, and my honest reaction was that lying down felt really good.  I could have just went to sleep there, but, you know, hypothermia and all that.

QOTD:  I have picked up a few.  One drunk lady who wanted a ride to her boyfriend's house in Dana Point, CA (I gave her a ride because she seemed so desperate and sad that I couldn't say no); a teen age girl who was hitchhiking on the freeway in LA (I gave her a ride so that I could give her a lecture); an older lesbian couple in East Glacier, MT who needed a ride to the other side of the park (I picked them up because they seemed like interesting people, and they ended up having some great stories to tell); those are the ones that stand out in my mind.  I won't pick up a male hitchhiker, and I would never hitch hike myself.

LB2

an older lesbian couple in East Glacier, MT who needed a ride to the other side of the park (I picked them up because they seemed like interesting people, and they ended up having some great stories to tell); 

Why did the lesbian couple need a ride? Those Subaru Outbacks are usually pretty reliable automobiles. I can't imagine them being stranded because of car trouble.

LB2

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Just checking in...

GO Kelly!

No running today, long day at work.  I just saw that Manitou's is going to open up in February and it is calling me...5 months should be enough time to get in shape, so it's not out of the question.

QOTD: I picked up my hometown's wierdo "Walker" once in high school and took him to the bank (of all places)...nobody believed me because nobody had ever seen him hitchhiking before (or after).

In college I picked up a pair of 18yo girls whose car had broken down...it didn't end how I thought it would .

I picked up a fellow in a random town in WV when I was living down there and took him to another town.  He was disappointed that a fellow WVian hadn't picked him up and it took an out of stater.  Two weeks later in a third random WV town, the same guy spotted me driving a different vehicle and flagged me down for ride #2.

My fiancé pretty much has nixed the picking up of hitchhikers...I probably still would depending on the situation.

**Ask me about streaking**

muppy

SRD today, will do the yoga class tonight.

QOTD I don't pick them up anymore, but I used to. I used to hitchhike a lot in my younger days and got some pretty cool rides, everything from a limousine that was driving to Philadelphia to pick up a client to being in the back of a pick up truck on the turnpike in a rainstorm.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Lunch five is planned.  Did not run last two days due to traveling for training and just plain laziness because nothing else stopped me from running when I got home.    It's still hard getting OUT of bed in the DARK.

QOTD:  I hitched hiked when I was in college; but it was in the UP soooo.  As for picking them up no I don't but I wish I could.  It would be so nice if you could trust people and share rides.  We had a friend who believed in mankind and picked up a hitchhiker.  He was then held at gun point and the HH stole his money and his truck that was attached to his trailer with his work tools in it.  So the guy stole his livelihood and spirit.  He went into a depression for about a year.  He's now moved to Florida and doing fine.  So that is why I do not pick up hitchhikers. We have picked up people who need help but aren't actually hitchhiking.  Once a women who got ditched in town by a date.  Another from a guy who had a blow out on the dirt road.  He begged us for a ride and said he had kids in the Van, it was 110 degrees in the desert.  My husband said you should of thought of the kids when you blew by us speeding.

AT:  I could see picking up those guys.

LB:  My BIL is a genius who went postal.  They say he was fine (but a little weird) until he went to Africa and some natives blew white power into his face and he tripped for days.  Cleon would of been a good name for my dog.  Your bad (about the Subaru joke)

Dog owners QOTD:   What product do you use to keep ticks off your dogs?   My dogs are getting way too many ticks!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

SRD for me after a hard TM hill workout last night. Trying to simulate some long climbs for Hyner since I don't have hills nearby.

QOTD: nope

DOG QOTD:  We use Vectra flea & tick medication...it's applied once a month and so far it has worked well for him.

Watoni

Maybe a ride today at lunch -- I have not ridden my bike in 2015 yet!

Oh, and go Kelly!

QOTD: Nope. I grew up in LA so that seems just crazy to me

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

In college I picked up a pair of 18yo girls whose car had broken down...it didn't end how I thought it would .

Hahahahahahaha.  I giggled out loud when I read this.  So sorry your dreams were crushed, James. 

Sue, I use Frontline or K9 Advantix on Bella.  She doesn't like it, but I learned my lesson after trying to go without one summer.  I had dozens of ticks crawling in my bed one night after we took a trail run together...GAHHHHH.

Running is dumb.

sugnim

Why did the lesbian couple need a ride? Those Subaru Outbacks are usually pretty reliable automobiles. I can't imagine them being stranded because of car trouble.

What age do we get the standard-issue Subaru?  My wife & I could use a new vehicle.  

Anyway, apparently that was their plan.  They hiked through the park and figured they would get a ride back to the other side where their car was.  It sounded like they do that every summer.

Dog QOTD: Fortunately, we haven't had this problem, but I have heard good things about Frontline.