Trailer Trash

John M (Read 40 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Sad message from John Morelock.  Keep him in your thoughts and prayers and if you need a book, order his or give as nice Christmas present.

John Morelock

<abbr>November 14 at 5:43pm</abbr> ·

Monday Monday... learning words I never wanted to learn; words like:
    peritoneal carcinomatosis, abdominal carcinomatosis, and one really catchy phrase: "Usually there is no realistic hope of curative therapy, although chemotherapy and radiotherapy may have a palliative effect." I think the running is over. Ratz. Pragmatism sets in as I think of a mountain of medical bills (unexpected) soon to start trickling in.

Hmmmmm, what to do? I am not really employable; slow learner, set in my ways, no marketable skills, and I am ill... hmmm. Aha! I'll prey on people's sympathies to sell my book. It would be a nice Christmas present for runners, walkers, hikers, or anyone who loves the outdoors. Yes, that's it. In lieu of a gofundme, I will try to get everyone to buy a copy of my book; then tell all your friends to buy one; then tell strangers in the mall; then...

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've already given out 4 copies over the last few years. I'll have to see who else I know that would appreciate one. John has been a good friend though he may not realize it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

This is shocking and sad. John M has touched the lives of many around the world in a positive way, whether through the Ultralist, Ultrarunning magazine, or his book.  Praying gently for you, John M.

Well damn. So sorry to hear this but thanks for letting us know.  Time to buy some books.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LB2

John has been a good friend though he may not realize it.

That is one of the most profound statements I have heard/read in quite a long time. When I first started running longer distances, I had found that RWOL forum. I learned a great deal from him on that site, but perhaps the best thing that came from that was when I was fortunate enough to meet John at Rocky Raccoon in 2012. I think maybe Sandy introduced me to him at the Damnation aid station, probably on the first loop. Anyway, he was just such a gracious, kind human being. That year, the weather was just horrendous, and although I can't remember thinking that I wouldn't make it, I can remember when I absolutely knew I would make it. I came back through Damnation at mile 93 and was greeted with a great big smile and a "Congratulations!!!" from John. I knew I had it at that point. That congratulations had a profound effect on me; it renewed my spirit; it made me feel like I had truly accomplished something worth doing. He has been a very good friend, even though we have only met on two occasions.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Praying for John.  His words have always been of interest to read and full of wisdom.

I bought his book when it came out, maybe another copy though...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Sad news.  I just started reading through his book. He has such a way with words, a unique way of putting things.  I'll have to try to think of someone who would appreciate a copy of his book.

Sandy-2

Really f'ing sad news.  LB2, I was also thinking about the time spent with John at the Damnation aid station at Rock Raccoon.  He's a special person.

I pulled out my copy of RGOT and re-read the Acknowledgements page, some familiar names listed there that are still around here.  The sharing of knowledge and experiences continues.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Really f'ing sad news.  LB2, I was also thinking about the time spent with John at the Damnation aid station at Rock Raccoon.  He's a special person.

I pulled out my copy of RGOT and re-read the Acknowledgements page, some familiar names listed there that are still around here.  The sharing of knowledge and experiences continues.

Sandy-2

Yeah, that was when I was 'Slowdown'.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

This is very sad news. Praying for you, John.

He he has a wonderful way of putting the beauty and wisdom of life into words. I am thankful to have gotten to know him, if just through the various forums.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Yeah, that was when I was 'Slowdown'.

Haha, that brought back a vivid memory of your old Avatar.

bhearn

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice.. How nice to be remembered in such a way.   He lived a good life.

For those who haven't heard.

https://www.ultrarunning.com/featured/john-morelock-running-gently-up-there/

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄