Trailer Trash

MMT100 Questions (Read 25 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I am finishing up my preparations, and some questions came up. Maybe I can get some answers/advice from you guys.

- Wildlife: What's to expect, especially in the night?

- Insects, spiders: Do I need to worry about these (e.g. poisonous spiders, ticks), especially on backcountry pit stops? I have never run in the southern states, just done day hikes.

- Mosquitoes, biting flies, gnats: Are they very bothersome there? Are they out in the night (they weren't on my other races)? Dangerous (diseases)?

- Poison ivy: What do I do about that, any precautions? Does poison ivy soap for removing the oils post-run help? Would a rash break out during the race if I came into contact with poison ivy along the course (I have never had "poison ivy" so far)?

- Rocks, boulders: Any big climbs over boulder fields or near-vertical rocks in the night? Steep ravines?

- Course marking: Is it well marked in the night? (They say so on their website, but is it true? I'm a bit directionally challenged)

- Creek crossings, muddy stretches? I did not see much about that in the course description.

- Poles recommended? I have never used them before, but thought they would have been very helpful at Eastern States due to the many, very steep downhills with bad footing.

- Rain clothes: Should I plan on carrying a shell with me, or just a trash bag, or stash the rain jacket in a drop bag somewhere along the course? Or nothing at all, just stick it out?  I'm not sure, right now I'm thinking just trash bags in case of a huge pourdown during a storm might suffice.

- Jacket for the night? Carry it with me, or drop bags?

I am planning on running with a hydration pack (HEED, gels, Endurolytes, not much storage room), and one handheld bottle (Sustained Energy). Two lights in the night (headlamp, handheld flashlight). Shoes: Brooks Cascadias (tried and true for rocky/technical terrain).

I am not sure if I can get both hands free (for climbing) during the night, but I think it should work when I put the handheld bottle into the front pocket of my pack, and clip the flashlight onto the back of the pack.

Biggest worry are the jacket/no jacket question, and rain clothes (what to do if it will rain for several hours).

Thank you for comments and thoughts!

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Marie, I've never done MMT so I can't help with your detailed questions.

As far a jacket/clothes are concerned, I like to figure out the general time of day I'll reach my drop bags and combine that with a review of the the hourly weather forecast to get an idea of temps.  Then I put stuff in my drop bags accordingly (of course with some layering +/- to account for variations).  I try to carry the minimum amount of stuff.

Good luck out there !!!!!!!

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Never ran the race but have run along the Massanutten Trail.  I think you will find it to be similar or even slightly less rocky than what we have in PA.  There were some long stretches that were rock free and a few rock field sections where you have to take it easy.  Pretty sure XT ran this, so hopefully he'll add his wisdom.

Jacket - time your drop bag to pick it up earlier than you think you'll need it.  It's better to have it too early than to be cold waiting to get to the drop bag.

Rain - I've done the leaf sized garbage bag before and that works, but makes getting to your supplies difficult.

Poles - are they allowed?  If so, big help.  Usually not allowed to drop them so you'll have them the whole time.  If you haven't used them much then you might want some light weight gloves to prevent blisters on your hands.

Markings -  Never seen a VHTRC race that wasn't well marked.  Also the MT is a blazed trail so will have markings.

Spiders / Bugs - I spray my hat and pack with a good coat of bug spray.  Lead runners will get the spiders out of your way, otherwise same bugs that you have back home.

Poison Ivy - "Leaves of Three Let it Be".  Rash won't show up for a day or two.  Soap works but needs to be used within pretty close to contact time.

Wildlife - Should be same as our PA critters.

Good luck, and have a great time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Hey Couch.. I've ran this race twice including the current configuration so hope this helps. Might be there this year at Edinburg Gap, the first aid station after Short Mountain. I likely have a report from 2010 floating around somewhere in cyberspace if you need some light reading. .. oh here it is... http://www.runango.com/forums/topic_show.pl?pid=5011645

Wildlife - same critters as here in PA like AT states. There are bears but I never saw one. Rattlesnakes too. As for night wild life with any luck you will get to hear a Whippoorwill singing at night.

Insects/poison ivy - Never had an issue with insects or poison ivy but I pee standing up and believe it or not never have made duty during any race including 100 miles. I don't think the deer or horseflies will be out yet but it's a possibility I suppose. Spring comes a few weeks earlier down there.

Rocks/boulders - It's a rocky course but likely nothing worse than trails you've already done. A few sections do stick out to me as being frustrating... Short Mountain but it's early in the race now. It's not the climb that is so awful but once on top it's sort of a rock hopping maze for a few miles. With the 4am start it may still be dark to for a bit on the ridge. Later in the race definitely at night is Kerns Mountain. It's the ridge after you make the climb out of Gap Creek the first time. Frustrating up there.. you make a big climb and think ok maybe I will get some relief now on the ridge but it's just a jumble of shelves and rocks and you have to pick your way across. I don't remember any places I used hands for climbing except maybe to balance myself out a time or two. I run pretty minimalist with 2 handhelds and no pack so it's definitely not an issue.

Course marking - Never had an issue. There are some key junctions to look out for as the course while mostly on the orange blazed Massanutten trail veers off that a few times. Be aware of these turns and you will be fine. Night areas they have reflective markers which are easy to see.

Creek crossings - Yes... I remember some from Powells Fort to Elizabeth furnace (mile 25-33), Camp Roosevelt to Gap Creek I (mile 64-69) and the Picnic Area to GapCreek2 (mile 87-96). Depends on the rainfall how wet things will be I suppose. It's been fairly dry here this spring but that area is 4 hours south so it could be different. In wet years some of the sections I mention are notoriously wet and muddy.

Poles - I wouldn't bother unless you normally use them. There are some long climbs but nothing you can't hunker down and power up. Steepest may be Bird Knob and the little ridge before GapCreek. Longest climbs are out of Habron and Veach Gap. Speaking of those 2 sections they are two of the longest in terms of time and distance on the course so be prepared there.

Rain clothes - I have to LOL a bit about this one.. the first year I ran it the weather was very hot/humid and when the first storm came I had take out a shirt just to something on to keep warm. It got so soaked I don't think it made a difference. I exchanged that shirt for a dry one 20 miles later and 10 minutes after that it started pouring again! So my advice... I'd be more worried about being wet at night. During the day if there is rain it might feel good. It's not like the race is at high elevation where the rain is going be cold. Just try to check the forecast and be prepared with your drop bags or carry a light shell if there may be rain at night.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I don't have much to add due to my inexperience in both MMT and 100 milers but I would say no to the trekking poles since you do not usually use them.  Not enough time to get used to them.  They are annoying at first.

Are you doing this without a pacer? I thought you said that at one point.

And do you know if there is tracking of runners for the race for those of us that want to try and follow you?

And most importantly - Good Luck out there! We are pulling for you.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

I forgot to say good luck too! I am a bit jealous of you actually. I have Laurel Highlands next month but have an itch to run this one again. Next year perhaps..

Boyjame - MMT live is here: http://www.vhtrc.org/mmtlive/

Go Couch!!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Watoni

Go Couch!

On poison ivy, use Technu at the finish .... you will be fine.

On pit stops, use the Jen Shelton method and stand up?

runtraildc

Hi Marie,

Can only weigh in on poison ivy, having loads of experience managing field staff and youth doing trailwork.  Tecnu is definitely best; showering with a strong detergent as soon as possible afterwards would be a good second option.  Think of Dawn as a body soap.    If you do have a break out, I've found Ivarest to be one of the better ointments.

Good luck!  I had hoped we'd be at an aid station this year, but not happening unfortunately.