Trailer Trash

Nathan Hydration Vest Question(s) (Read 297 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So I got a Nathan vest (I think it's this one http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Liter-2-Liter-Hydration-Flint/dp/B000N0WBIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357681060&sr=8-1&keywords=nathan+hydration+pack) back in Aug or Sept but due to injuries I decreased and eventally stopped running so I didn't get much use of it until recently when I was finally able to start increasing my runs.  So my last two long runs, I used it and realized two issues:

1.) The bladder has a weird hook on the inside that seems to become dislodged easily unless the bladder is completely full.  Anyone experience this and have suggestions to keep it hooked? It makes an annoying noise as the bladder moves if not hooked accordingly.

2.) The pack has no insulation for the tube or the bladder so my last run (where it was just below freezing) I noticed some ice in the tube.  I wasn't out long enough for this to be an issue but if (I mean when) I can get out for 3+ hours and it is below freezing, it will be.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jamie

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

I have the same vest and have noticed the same thing with the hook. No real solution yet, but I guess the noise doesn't bother me.

As far as the freezing goes, I haven't had to deal with it yet and hope I don't have to, but someone told me if you are wearing a jacket and try to somehow put the hose in your jacket for a while it will prevent/reverse the freezing.

under a rock

I've never had to deal with a frozen tube but some advice that I've read on a blog from a local ultra runner was to blow air back into the tube after you drink to clear water out of it so it won't freeze. He said it's the best method he's found so far as trying to insulate the tube doesn't seem to work that well.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Jamie, ask RunsWithWolves what she thinks of Nathan hydration bladders on FB.  LOL.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've never had to deal with a frozen tube but some advice that I've read on a blog from a local ultra runner was to blow air back into the tube after you drink to clear water out of it so it won't freeze. He said it's the best method he's found so far as trying to insulate the tube doesn't seem to work that well.

I do this.  It does help!

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

1- sorry don't own any Nathan bladder packs

2- definitely blow back the water when you're done drinking- it clears the tube so it doesn't freeze solid, I also keep the mouth piece inside of my jacket so it doesn't freeze up- if the mouth piece or tube gets frozen- you're in for a very miserable time (or a very short run)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Scrapster

1.  The hook is annoying.  But just a little bit.  I don't care if the bladder is hooked or not, but know people who will fiddle with that effing thing for a good five minutes to make it just right.  I have found that if you move the hook of the bladder through the fabric hook inside the pack so that the fabric is on the opposite side of the opening in the plastic hook, it won't dislodge so easily.  (I really hope that makes sense).

2.  In freezing temps, I wear my jacket over my pack.  Since I sweat like a hog, the sauna created by my body heat keeps everything from freezing.  Blow-back works, too.  Smile

Good luck, and FTR, I totally disagree with Mandyroo.  Do NOT, under any circumstances, ask TTA her opinion of Nathan bladders.  Smile

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hmmm...thanks for the feedback.  Scrapster - I think I am one of those people who spends too much time on that blasted hook.  It shouldn't bother me but it does.  Maybe a small piece of velcro would work?

Mandy and Scrapster - I may just have to ask RWW about Nathan's.  Sounds like it might be entertaining at the very least.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

For the hook: I take an elastic (a small one, like the ones for kids' hair ties, or the ones you get at petco when you buy a bag of crickets, in case you have a frog or lizard, LOL) and wrap it around the loop, so that the loop can be made smaller by sliding down the elastic towards the hook, until the loop is tight. No more coming apart.

Freezing: Sux. My hose froze up during the Stone Mill 50M, and it took hours before I could drink significant amounts through the valve. Once the hose was frozen, there was not quick way to thaw it, and only very small amounts of liquid came through, requiring me to suck really hard for longer periods. Dead

I also bent the hose several times to break up the ice, so that at least some liquid could come through.

There are neoprene hose covers available, they cost between 3 and 9 dollars, just google. I had considered getting one last year already, then skipped it, and I am about to get one now again, to avoid the trouble, especially in races!

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

For the hook: I take an elastic (a small one, like the ones for kids' hair ties, or the ones you get at petco when you buy a bag of crickets, in case you have a frog or lizard, LOL) and wrap it around the loop, so that the loop can be made smaller by sliding down the elastic towards the hook, until the loop is tight. No more coming apart.

Freezing: Sux. My hose froze up during the Stone Mill 50M, and it took hours before I could drink significant amounts through the valve. Once the hose was frozen, there was not quick way to thaw it, and only very small amounts of liquid came through, requiring me to suck really hard for longer periods. Dead

I also bent the hose several times to break up the ice, so that at least some liquid could come through.

There are neoprene hose covers available, they cost between 3 and 9 dollars, just google. I had considered getting one last year already, then skipped it, and I am about to get one now again, to avoid the trouble, especially in races!

I thought about the hose cover.  My other pack has one.  Maybe I can steal that one since I will probably never use that one again.  Wasn't sure how effective those are though.  It's worth a try.  And thanks for the idea about a tie on the hook.  Seems simple enough.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I have the same vest and the same issues. I use a thick wire tie to connect the

bladder to the vest, then just snip it off after my run.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have the same vest and the same issues. I use a thick wire tie to connect the

bladder to the vest, then just snip it off after my run.

Jon - good to "see" you.  You have been MIA for a while.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Hiya, Jame.

Ive been injured, calf strain, past few weeks. You know

how it is. Good to hear that your healing.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hiya, Jame.

Ive been injured, calf strain, past few weeks. You know

how it is. Good to hear that your healing.

Hey, I haven't ran in over 2 months, yet I'm still here...only slightly less more annoying than usual.  Wink

Running is dumb.

Ultra Cowboy

I bought a hose cover, and had a hell of a time trying to fit it over my hose.  I ended up going out and buying a new, pre insulated Camelbak hose. 

I will say that additional insulation MAY still be necessary in frigid subzero conditions.

WYBMADIITY

Save