Trailer Trash

Intimidated at the thought of signing up for a trail race (Read 78 times)

Brilliant

I'm a road runner, but these days about half of my runs are on non-technical trails.  There are tons of trail races in my area (SoCal), and I'd like to sign up for one.  BUT I'm intimidated at the thought of trail runners being more serious about their sport than the average road runner.  I know if I sign up for the typical road race, whether it's a 5k or half marathon, that I'll be a middle-of-the-packer, simply because so many walkers and new runners sign up for these.  At an evening trail race, I'm convinced I'll come in dead last as the sun has set and they are closing the course.  Shocked  Are my impressions right or wrong for the typical non-ultra, non-destination trail run (6k-30k)?

Brilliant

Oh, and I mean NO offense to road runners by my comment about the average road runner not being as serious!  I just know there are so many out there who want to complete, for example, the Tinkerbell half marathon, and their only goal is to beat the course time limit of 16mpm.

Occasional Runner

I think you have it totally reversed. Trail runners are the hippies of the running world. I think you'll find that they're far less serious about the competition aspect of the sport than your typical road runner will be. The caveat to that would be the guys that start up front and have reason to believe they might win. They can take it as seriously as anybody. But if you draw yourself into the middle of the pack, you'll find that most people are just there so they can enjoy being outside, running on trails.

If you do sign up, you won't regret it. In fact, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Please report back if you do run a trail race. I would be eager to hear how it goes.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm a road runner, but these days about half of my runs are on non-technical trails.  There are tons of trail races in my area (SoCal), and I'd like to sign up for one.  BUT I'm intimidated at the thought of trail runners being more serious about their sport than the average road runner.  I know if I sign up for the typical road race, whether it's a 5k or half marathon, that I'll be a middle-of-the-packer, simply because so many walkers and new runners sign up for these.  At an evening trail race, I'm convinced I'll come in dead last as the sun has set and they are closing the course.  Shocked  Are my impressions right or wrong for the typical non-ultra, non-destination trail run (6k-30k)?

I think it's quite the opposite.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

You are pulling our leg here right? Trail runners more serious than road runners. That's a good one. I about pissed myself reading that one.

I'd say just go signup for the trail race and form your own opinions. It's a pretty laid back crowd in my opinion. THink of George Carlin's bit about football vs baseball. Trail runners are the baseball players in that bit.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

You'll be fine.  SoCal sunshine on a trail sounds like a great time.  If you are a midpack road runner you shouldn't be worried whatsoever about being DFL.  I'd pick one that is local to you so you can scope it out and pre-run the trails a little bit.  I'll also echo lace_up in saying that reporting back would be welcomed.

**Ask me about streaking**

Brilliant

Really???

You guys are bursting my bubble.  When I think trail runner, I think intense, gritty, has-to-pick-100-ticks-off-after-a-run type.  That seems "serious" to me!

dpc3

Really???

You guys are bursting my bubble.  When I think trail runner, I think intense, gritty, has-to-pick-100-ticks-off-after-a-run type.  That seems "serious" to me!

Wait I'm confused picking ticks off after a run makes one serious? Sweet, that means I am not serious at all because I have not picked a tick off myself after running on trails (75% of my runs are on trails) in several years.

You're golden and like others have said trail runners tend to be more laid back than our counter parts running road races. Any time you enter a race there is going to be a group of folks that are there for the competition but I'd say the ratio of casual to intense participants at trail races is something around 50:1.

Signup and you will not regret it.

Brilliant

OK, thanks for the encouragement!  This weekend there's a "get to know the trail" run  (not a race).  I think I'll head out for that; maybe take my hubby or 17yo so I won't get left behind and eaten by a mountain lion. (you can see I have a really BRUTAL impression of trail running, ha ha!)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I can't even run road races anymore because the seriousness of it all just makes me shake my head.  Yes, I'm talking to you, mister fuel belt wearing, GU carrying, Gatorade drinking, half marathoner.

Go!  Have fun!  Report back!

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

Just a few observations on the topic....

Road runners expect (DEMAND) that a marathon course be 26.2 miles. Exactly!

Trail runners consider it close enough if the course is within 1 or 2 miles of the marathon distance.

Road runners warm up and stretch before a race.

Trail runners put their beer on ice before a race.

Road runners time their spacing between gels.

Trail runners might carry an entire burrito down the trail and eat as he goes.

Road runners use portable toilets.

Trail runners see the outdoors as their personal toilet and modesty is never an issue.

Road runners will nudge (push) you out of the way.

Trail runners will stop to help you up if you fall.

Sandy-2

When I first started reading your post I thought you were a troll trying to get a rise outta lace_up !!!   LOL.  Sorry.  But reading on and seeing your other posts I obviously had it all wrong.  Welcome to the Trailer Trash !!!!  (See with a name like that how serious can we be?  Although there are a few of us around here that struggle with the whole tick thing...)

I'll echo what the others have said, for the most part trail runners are pretty laid back.  Yea, some folks up front can get intense, but it is still different than typical roadies.  Full disclosure, most of us started out as roadies and some still run the occasional road races so it's not an "us vs them" thing, most of us hang out here because it's more laid back.

Let us know how it goes.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

SheCan

I think you have it totally reversed. Trail runners are the hippies of the running world. I think you'll find that they're far less serious about the competition aspect of the sport than your typical road runner will be. 

+1   Trail runners seem much more chill.  I'm not a serious trail runner oc.  There's not many trails races around here, but I very much enjoy trail running on my own, and the couple of races I did were the best.  Don't be intimidated by them.  If you enjoy running trails and being outside, you'll enjoy the trail races.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Occasional Runner

When I first started reading your post I thought you were a troll trying to get a rise outta lace_up !!!   

I suspected the same thing. I was treading lightly with my first response.

I was a road runner in my 20's and early 30's (5k through 26.2). I don't miss it. I have found that most trail runners, are far less serious than their road running counterparts.  We take what the trail gives us when it comes to a training and races. Sometimes you have a great run and sometimes it is a learning experience. I will take the occasional tic, bee sting, snake, bear, porcupine, or deer rather than dealing with crazy motorists. Nothing wrong with being dead last, make sure to take your headlamp.

Sign up, do one close, have fun.....and let us know how it went.