Trailer Trash

PA Appalachian Trail Question (Read 41 times)

Appalachian trail folks-

Has anyone ever run the PA Little gap/ Smith Gap/ Lehigh Gap area? My friend wants me to join her, and I was wondering how runnable this section is for a relatively new trail/ultra runner like myself. I have 18 miles on my training plan for tomorrow, but I'm not sure what the terrain is like in this section. She says relatively flat, but without elevation numbers I'm a bit hesitant.

AT-runner

Tim

Not sure where you are starting and direction of travel.  It's been a few years since I was in that area.  Some good climbs, but not as rocky as down by my way.

Hers is a site link that I use from time to time.  Good descriptions, and I've found it accurate..

Lehigh Gap to Wind Gap

Here is a link to parking spots along the AT

Trail Heads

Go for it, and enjoy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Not sure where you are starting and direction of travel.  It's been a few years since I was in that area.  Some good climbs, but not as rocky as down by my way.

Hers is a site link that I use from time to time.  Good descriptions, and I've found it accurate..

Lehigh Gap to Wind Gap

Here is a link to parking spots along the AT

Trail Heads

Go for it, and enjoy.

AT- I was hoping you would answer this. My friend also send me those two websites, and she has hiked a few times in that area so I think I'm good to go. I am still going to try to get a map before hand for my sake of mind.

Still can't help being nervous, I'm used to big city parks where it's kinda hard to get lost. I have a pretty good sense of direction though, if I do say so myself Wink

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hard to get lost on the Appalachain.  Getting to the trail heads on the other hand is a different story.  I also commented on the PA Trail forum.

I agree with AT - go for it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

I'm used to big city parks where it's kinda hard to get lost. I have a pretty good sense of direction though, if I do say so myself Wink

Follow the White Blazes and you'll be fine. Smile   If I remember that section, there was one pretty good climb, but no harm in walking the big hills.  If you are not used to technical trails, a bit of advice is don't run right behind your friend.  You don't want her legs to block visibility of any small obstacles.  If you see any section hikers, stop and talk to them, they usually enjoy the interaction.  They always seem so surprised that anyone is running the AT.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Follow the White Blazes and you'll be fine. Smile   If I remember that section, there was one pretty good climb, but no harm in walking the big hills.  If you are not used to technical trails, a bit of advice is don't run right behind your friend.  You don't want her legs to block visibility of any small obstacles.  If you see any section hikers, stop and talk to them, they usually enjoy the interaction.  They always seem so surprised that anyone is running the AT.

My friend is hiking, and I will be running. I'll basically do an out and back, she's just going point-to-point. We'll have 2 cars, one at each end.

I'm fairly used to technical trails, there are some pretty technical ones in the park I regularly run at. I will definitely be extra careful though. I've got 2.5 solid months of weekly long runs on technical trails so I think I should be ok. I've been walking some uphills on my recent long runs as well.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely post about it on my blog afterwards.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I see a lot of hikers (thru and sections) on the parts that I run.  Last year, on a 18 mile out n back I came across a thru hiker (I think he was slack packing it) - I stopped and talked to him on my way back.  He was totally dejected telling me about the night before how he had "lost time" due to the crazy storm that came through.  That comment was why I thought he was slack packing it.  Otherwise a thru hiker wouldn't care about missing that kind of time.  Anyways, he asked where the nearest road crossing was to get to a store, phone, food etc.  So I told him it was only 7ish miles away.  I almost thought about offering to meet him somewhere once I got back to my car.  But then I thought I would just be enabling him.  I think he would have been fine once he get a shower and some good food.  Something special about those thru hikes.

Sorry for the hijack!

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Just wanted to say...have fun on your run and let us know how it is!!

We are running Sunday starting in Mechanicsburg and headed north (20mi out & back) but still much further south then you. I am wanting to explore more ares of the AT this year!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Just wanted to say...have fun on your run and let us know how it is!!

We are running Sunday starting in Mechanicsburg and headed north (20mi out & back) but still much further south then you. I am wanting to explore more ares of the AT this year!

I'm sorry but who said you could run on my section of the AT?!? Seriously though, have a great time.  Those are my stomping grounds.  There is a side trail at the top of Blue Mtn that goes to your right when heading north - it's the Darlington Trail - blazed in orange. From the AT it goes about 4.25 to where I often park.  I will do loops that include the Darlington, AT and one of the roads that leads up the mountain.  It's a beautiful area.  Have fun!

skeene07

Dirty Girl

I'm sorry but who said you could run on my section of the AT?!? Seriously though, have a great time.  Those are my stomping grounds.  There is a side trail at the top of Blue Mtn that goes to your right when heading north - it's the Darlington Trail - blazed in orange. From the AT it goes about 4.25 to where I often park.  I will do loops that include the Darlington, AT and one of the roads that leads up the mountain.  It's a beautiful area.  Have fun!

Omg. Someone just told us about that trail this morning! Not sure if we will check it out tomorrow but I really want to ASAP. rik wants to take me to some outlook that is supposed to be really cool.

Hopefully we will see you on the buzzards course sometime in March Wink

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!