Trailer Trash

Traveling Tuesdalies (Read 23 times)

dpc3

Morning folks! Got in a quick 4 with the pup before traveling to SE Arizona to do a little sandhill crane wrasslin. I'm then heading to Scottsdale this weekend to watch the Iggles play in the Superbowl and my buddy asked me if I wanted to run in a race. 15 miler, I am thinking I could struggle through it, what say you? I am totally unprepared and untrained for this. But I have stayed at Holiday Inn's so there is that.

QOTD: Ever just done a race untrained and how did it go? Distance?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So last night sucked.  I felt ok, got out for my run and pulled up at 1 mile.  I just wasn't feeling it - physically or mentally.

dpc - so yes to the race - it's only 15 miles - what could possibly go wrong???

QOTD: I think we just had this question but may have been before you came back.  But my answer is yes - kind of.  I went into races feeling under trained but there is a difference between feeling undertrained and actually being undertrained.  But as I said above, 15 miles is only 15 miles.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

I ran 5.5 miles last night at the local trail with the Lady. Felt more like taking a nap after work last night than running but glad I ran instead. Just have to get moving some days. Today, the plan is for planet of fitness at lunch for weights and stretching and perhaps a short run tonight. A should take a day or two off this week, cutback.

QOTD: Yes, and it was a 5k. Sure I could run the distance but I was not trained to RACE it properly and crashed and burned by the 2 mile point after going out like blazes. Small children and their grandfathers passed me that final mile as I jogged with the side stitch from hell. Am signed up for a 12 hour next month, and do not plan to run anything longer than 12-15 miles leading up to it. Probably not planning to go 12 hours either.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Watching the snow come down in a stiff breeze.  Looks pretty nice outside right now.

Was planning a short run today then a long one up on the mountain tomorrow. Circumstances have changed that a little.  My BIL finally died late Sunday night.  Sounds horrible to say that he "finally died", but the poor guy was really miserable the last few weeks so it's a relief to know he's not suffering.   So now we will be heading to Michigan tomorrow for the funeral. Might get in a short jaunt or two on the Rail Trail out there.

Not sure If I'll run today or not. Have a lot of stuff to get done.

dpc3 -  Sandhill crane wrasslin?????    Sounds like a good warmup for a 15 mile race .

Jamie - It always takes me about 2 miles to start feeling good.  The older you get the longer the warmup takes .

Xtreme - Running is like sex. Sometimes you don't really feel like it but after you're finished you're glad you did it .

QOTD:  Timely question.  Most of my races are like that to a point. This spring I'm going to take it to another level the way it looks.. For some reason I just can't get into a real routine and put in the miles I need to train for Montour 24. I'm expecting it to be rather brutal.  I was way under trained for Hyner 50k one year and stumbled across with massive cramps and GI distress. Then two years ago I finished Tusseymountinback 50 miler proudly DFL.  Legs were trashed and had such bad Hiccups I couldn't sit up for the next 5 hours.  The next morning I was contemplating signing up the next year .

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  I just drank an entire bottle of cold brew coffee.  I'm going to be buzzing for the rest of the morning.

QOTD: I've done plenty of races where I'm not as well trained as I've liked, but nothing severely under trained.  Guess I'm going to change that come April!  I barely ran last year, am only running 5-10mpw right now, and I'm signed up for a 31K race.  Which is at the end of a vacation where I'll be hiking a bunch all week.  I'm sure it'll feel great. 

Running is dumb.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Daydreamer - Sorry about your BIL.  My condolences.  I know what you mean by not wanting to prolong the suffering.

We got about an inch or two of snow overnight.  Not sure what running conditions will be like this evening, so it should be interesting, if not slippery.

QOTD - I'm with the others in that I wish I were in better race condition at times, but I don't think I really got over my head.  Probably the worst was a 28K mountain race with 7,800 ft elevation and ascending to 11,000 ft.  Being a flat lander, there was no way to prepare for the altitude and I suffered dearly.  Took over 8 hours to finish, but I learned a lot about myself that day.  In races, I'd rather exceed expectations or fail miserably.  All other races are forgetful.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Going to the gym at lunch and than boot camp...most likely no run.  It is $2 pint night.

QOTD:  Yes, 50K and it hurt and I was slow.  Go for it!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

My current simultaneous recovery / taper continues. Tapering for my RR100 pacing duties this weekend.  Took a SRD yesterday and I may not get a run in today unless I head out this evening for a moonlit night run (actually that sounds good I guess the day before the full super blood moon should be good).

qotd: Yup we just had this question.  For me it was Grindstone 100 miler in 2016.  was coming back from an injury (PF), but needed a HR qualifier.  I still haven't gotten back into HR yet...      I took it slow and steady and somehow managed to finish but my quads and calfs were absolutely screaming on the final steep downhills.

dpc3, I say 'go for it', as they say...  how hard can it be?

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

14 miles in the AT. Nice snowy run. On the ay back, saw 10-12 senior hikers with a few dogs. They said they hike every Tuesday in a different location and then get lunch. Looked like a fun group. I snapped a group photo for them and as I left one of the older ladies yelled out “be careful young man”. Haha. Haven’t been called young man in a while. I guess the white goatee didn’t give my age away.

Just the the right amount of snow to hide the rocks. And yes, that is the trail.

Antietam Shelter, south of Old Forge.

dpc3 - You know you asked the wrong group about doing a race. We only have one answer, we’re enablers.

QOTD: Quite a few, as far as trying to push for a time, but usually feel ok with the distance. There’s a lot to be said for muscle memory.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

I couldn't face the cold this morning and decided it was a good morning for intervals on the TM for a total of 6

QOTd: yeah just about every race,

don't let fitness stand in the way, go for it

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny Elvis and I got in a nice 7 miles- a couple of miles off trail, still lots (2' + in areas) of snow; got hit by several little squalls while we were out- kind of neat 

qotd:- not a race, by my R2R2R I was definitely under trained, made it, but it hurt- when it was all done, all I wanted to do is do it again- go for it 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

No run today. I wanted to have dinner with my mom and dad tonight. They like it when I am home for dinner.

Last night I had a nice running the snow. I love night running. Thinking of setting my alarm to go run under the full moon in the morning, but it never seems to a good idea come morning.

DD1: sorry for your loss.

Mandy: what race did you sign up for?

Warden: I have been meaning to ask, does Tiny  Elvis easily keep up with you for your outdoor adventures? So cute!

QOTD: I was way undertrained for my recent Frozen Otter adventure. I was not able to finish, but I'm glad I tried! GO FOR IT!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

moonlight- my outings with Tiny E are a typically a very quick paced walk/jog, so yeah he has no problem keeping up- actually he's normally ahead of me; he absolutely crushes me on uphills 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I ran a progression run Tuesday afternoon. It was very fast, but it was a negative split.

QOTD: I ran a 10K and a 10 miler undertrained, and I did pretty well in both of them. Maybe I wasn't actually undertrained. I got 11th place in the 10K, a night race. I got second place in the 10 miler after getting lost and ending up second to last. The guy who was last was running with me and passed me after he and I caught everyone else in the race and passed them. I took 2nd in the last quarter mile. Maybe they were all more undertrained than the winner and me. That 10 mile race was probably the most fun I have ever had at a race. I think my time was 1:50, so it wasn't fast at all. The course is pretty hard, but we had to run fast on some of it to catch all those people. Thus, it was a very focused effort.

I would run the 15 mile race, Dan.

LB2