Trailer Trash

Walking Wednesdaily (Read 22 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Hit 76* yesterday and the same for the next 2 days. About 30* above normal for this time of year. All the snow is finally gone from the mountain and trails are drying up very quickly.

Going for a brisk walk at lunch. I try to walk at a 14 min/mile pace. My legs were a bit sore last week after a walk, so plan on this once a week until race day.

QOTD:  How much do you mix up your pace during a typical week?  Ever do any extended walking?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

DigDug2

8.5 on the roads this morning - going up to 72 here today, although still a little chilly at 6 am.

QOTD:  I'd guess 80% of my running is at aerobic, conversational pace.  I usually run 25-30 minutes of tempo (15K race pace) a week, and I throw some fartleks into some of my easy runs.  If I have (short) races approaching, I add another workout day a week with 15-20 minutes of faster repeats (mile to 5K race pace).  Over the last few years I've embraced running most days easy and hard days hard - I used to run the same medium-fast pace for every run.  I never walk as exercise (although I have somewhat of a walking-friendly lifestyle, at least on weekends).

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice run yesterday evening; going to try and get 5-ish this evening

qotd: it's not uncommon for me to get some extended walking in- snowshoe a lot in the winter, elk hunting in the fall and hiking/backpacking in the "summer". It's nothing planned as exercise per se, but obviously qualifies. I do think it's worth the time if you have any events that you will likely walk in- fast walking is a learned skill. Now that I think of it, my hill repeats are a combination of walking (uphill) and running (downhill)- typically 60% walking and 40% running

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

5.9 this morning on roads and horseshoe trail.

QOTD Most of my running is a slow waddle. I do a lot of walking between hiking with the GF and work.

AT-runner

Tim

I used to run the same medium-fast pace for every run.  I never walk as exercise (although I have somewhat of a walking-friendly lifestyle, at least on weekends).

I fall into this trap quite often, as these are the runs I enjoy while exploring trails.

I seem to be mostly doing times events now (don't really know how this happened) and I know I'll walk at least 20 miles during a 24hr race.  A few years a go I added in the walking and it really helped.  What I really need to do is more speed work or even go back to the track like I used to when I ran marathons.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

7 last night under a beautiful clear sky.  Not sure if I will do anything today.  My legs are a bit fried and I will hopefully be going long on Saturday morning.

QOTD: My walking breaks are primarily due to big climbs, very rocky trails and to stop and smell the roses so to speak.  (My LR Saturday will be one of those run, walk/hike, run some more, take in the view, repeat).  My pace is generally at a moderate pace.  I keep saying I want to switch it up now and then but I am generally happy with just running.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Plan to run after work...better not be raining.

QOTD:  Extended walking no...but I stop a lot so the dogs can sniff and really speed doesn't matter to me anymore.  I'm just there to smell the forest.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

bagge_pants

2 mile am jog and then probably 4 miles walking to enjoy the weather and do errands. 

QOTD: I go by feel everyday so the paces and distance can be quite varied. The upside is I find fitness can be gained most quickly when you run hard when you feel like it and rest when you need it. The drawback is with the high reward there is high risk for injury since energy is not linear, so you could run several hard sessions in a week because your body is ready for it but then a week later your body is worse than before but with rest, you'll gain fitness higher than the week with several hard workouts. It's a game and you have expect vast change of paces and efforts in regards to paces.

Regarding walking, I haven't done any long walks this year yet but will plan on it. Most walks have been in one-two hours. I do like to walk for hours in a good setting.

Gator eye

8 this morning, warm weather is still with us. I could get use to wearing shorts in March.

QOTD. I use to walk around 3 miles a day at lunch but with this new job walking doesn't fit into my schedule.

I was thinking about my pace this morning and how I always seem to run the same pace day after day. The best excuse I could come up with is that I have to leave Mr Jangles at home when I do speed work and that's just not fair to him.

Daydreamer1

Spent the day running around trying to find someone who can fabricate some cab mounts for my pickup restoration project.  No luck. Looks like I'll have to buy some used ones off ebay. Kind of feel like I wasted the entire day. Going to head out for my 7.4 mile loop around the back roads.  Probably do some walking since the legs are quite tired.  Until I looked at my training calendar I didn't realize that I had a sudden, quite large increase in mileage.

QOTD: Always have had the problem of wanting to push myself too fast and hard on every run. Last year I started doing some walk training after AT had said he was doing it.  I have one timed event planned for this year so I'm really trying to learn to go slow and then just walk sometimes. My problem is that I get fixated on times and want each run to be faster then the last.

Sandy-2

Got up and did 5 mi this morning.  It was tough getting up, but once I was out there it was better, like usual.  For some reason I've been having trouble getting out in the morning lately. It was a little chilly and I was under dressed this morning so I sped up to keep warm, felt good going up/down the smaller hill.

qotd: I don't do any specific walk training, but I will throw in a walking break or two during long runs, either when I just need a break or if I'm doing a gel and digging out an S-Cap or something.  I also walk on long and/or steep uphills.  On typical runs I'll keep a constant pace, but some runs are faster than others.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

XtremeTaper

I took the afternoon off today and I made the best of it. I played a round of gold, walked the course too(~4 miles) and got home with enough daylight to get the Lady over to Green Lane Reservoir for 7 trail miles. We ran the easy side of the lake. It has a few better lake views especially at sunset. It was a nice balmy night.

QOTD: I don't mix up pace too often, other than naturally based on terrain or surface, and the occasional trail tempo. I rarely do any formal walking other than dog walks with the missus, oh, and during some longs runs I will walk steep hills... sometimes. My last 12 hour race I really didn't walk too much. Ran slowly yes, and often.

In dog beers, I've only had one.