Trailer Trash

2018 Montour 24 Hour Race Report (with photos) (Read 35 times)

runtraildc

Congratuations, Bert, on a tough race. I'm sorry you didn't meet your goal, but considering those pictures what you did was impressive. Everyone has a ramen story, don't they?

Holy cow, that is a lot of mud. Cannot stand mud, mostly because running in those conditions really does a lot of damage. Do you know if they have plans to come in and do any trailwork post-race when/if things every dry out?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Great write-up! And good job pushing through.  One of these years this race will have decent weather.  I hope they move it off of mother's day weekend though.  That's a tough weekend to have this.  But there are so many other PA races, it's hard to stick to anything anymore.

Thanks for sharing this!

Edit: BTW - how did you know Pour Some Sugar on Me was one of my favorite songs back in the day?????

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

Cannot stand mud, mostly because running in those conditions really does a lot of damage. Do you know if they have plans to come in and do any trailwork post-race when/if things every dry out?

I'm actually quite concerned about the mess that a portion of the trails were in when we left. The bad part is that they were really, really horrible. The good part is that they are rarely used. If they are left alone for several weeks with little traffic on them they will heal up fine due to how they lay in relation to the creek and other land around them. They are flat and the river mud doesn't drain well so it turns to mud quickly. The thing is that they are not situated where fast running water will come through, causing erosion. The mud that was there should dry in place. My biggest concern is that some fishermen who are politically connected will have tried to slop down through there, get frustrated and cause problems for the RD. In a week or two I'd like to go back up and take a look at how they are.

The field where the start/finish line is, is used for baseball and lacrosse at this time of the year. There we also made somewhat of a mess that I'm afraid someone will complain about.

To be honest some or our other trail races here in central PA cause more damage because they are not run on existing trails but they will just take a leaf blower and blow a path through the woods. Then you have hundreds of people running up and down that, then when it rains the water follows that soft path and carries away the loose soil.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

58 miles in those conditions ...be proud of that , that's hard stuff .

Bert-o

I lost my rama

WC - NC24 looks enticing.  Thanks for the links.  We'll see how DW's father is doing as we aren't travelling until things settle down.

XT - I'll keep Boulder Field 100K on top of the list for a fall race.  I like that you can camp there for the race.

LB2 - Thanks!  I'm about as thick-headed as a turkey, so it won't be long before I'm back out again.

Dreamer - I'm sure we crossed paths a couple times during the night, but I couldn't see you because I was cursing at my fading headlamp.  Sounds like you were doing the same.

Gatsby - Thanks.  Both DW and I have family in the Bay area and she loves Carmel.  It won't take much to convince DW to make a trip out there for a race.  Probably not for a 24 hour attempt, but I'm sure there are a lot of other good races, especially for the scenery.

runtrail - I'll defer to what Dreamer said about the trails and the conditions, but I was thinking much the same thing during the race.

Dr Jamie - Thanks!  It was a wild guess about that song... or was it????

valerie - Thanks, and I hope your knee gets better soon!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, 58 miles is a great result considering the conditions (and I'm not just covering your back, I am really impressed how anyone can run through a whole night and a day in such mud, with rain and cold). I think the cold and wetness must have been worse than the mud?

Sorry for your mom passing away, and your DW's dad being in and out of the hospital. As much as this can create a mental goal, it can also weigh heavy on you at times. I hope you can stay strong through all this.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

58ish miles in that crap is an accomplishment. In a point-to-point run, you never know exactly what conditions lay ahead, but with the short loop, you knew those sloppy and cold mud pits were there on each loop, so I think the mental aspects of setting out on each loop would really be amped up.

Also, you should not under estimate the emotional aspects related to your Mon and FIL in the lead-up to the run, they can also weigh on your (and of course Mrs Bert-o's) brain.

Congrats under some tough conditions.  And thanks for the RR (including the various Trailer Trash shout outs).  I'm sure your next one will go great.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job Bert-o....I still don't get why anyone does these mini mile lapped/timed races.  Guess Inwould have to do one yo find out   After the rain it would be mentally hard to repeat the sloppy trail.  I think having someone crew you can help but can also hurt on long runs when you don't see them for hours but may hurt on the loop courses if they are ready to go.

58 miles, something to be proud of....however you should of spent the next 4 hous indulging in the beer instead of going home !  It was free!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄