Trailer Trash

Sleepy Saturdailies (Read 23 times)

Daydreamer1

Ended up getting home from work a little late. Feeling a little sleepy, but have too much to do to take a nap. Was planning on going up on the mountain for 11+ miles, instead it looks like it will be 7-8 around the house on the roads. Probably take it easy as the legs are still feeling wore out.

QOTD: Burial or cremation?  I'm talking pets here. One of my coworkers just lost his dog and the discussion around the station was burial or cremation. He decided on cremation but then also had to decide on a mass cremation with other dogs or a single cremation.

I no longer have any pets, but when my last dog died I was going to get him cremated. Mostly because the ground on my place is so rocky it's hard to dig a big hole.  AS it happened, he died when we were in Mississippi, and Louisiana on vacation   so my wife's niece and her husband buried him. If I would have been home and had him cremated it would have been a single cremation.

NorthernHarrier

Been doing double workouts all week with runs and bikes including a 2 hour mountain biking ride last night over in the Kettle Moraine. First time on the mt. bike this season and it destroyed me. Got in 7.5 miles running the single track IAT this morning at Brooklyn and now I've got a bunch of yard type work around here this afternoon but I'll try for an easy road bike later. Sunny, calm, and mid 60's. Can you say "perfect".

QOTD- My 3 Springers that have passed have all been individually cremated. With each one the ashes were split in half with the first part being scattered/dropped at each dogs favorite hunting spot and the remainder at a large maple at my cabin. Small plaques hang on the maple.   I miss each of those dogs badly.

muppy

5.1 miles on my trails at work. Watch said 824 feet of gain which I think is about right. Stopped at the gym for some weights on the way home.

Good of luck to Jamie, Wcrunner and anyone else racing.

QOTD We always bury them at my dad's house by the woods, with a cross and some rocks to be sure nobody digs them up.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we've cooled off nearly 30 degrees- low 80's to low 50's- we set two new record highs ; much nicer- if we could squeeze a little moisture out of these clouds, better yet

ran the 30k course today (right at 20 miles), I ran it a slighter slower pace, but it still kicked my butt- several steep climbs

qotd: cremation, goes for me too 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hyner Trail Challenge 25K: Suffice it to say I got my butt kicked today. There was more walking than running and on S.O.B. (the really steep hill at mile 12) you could almost call it crawling or climbing, often on all fours. RR will follow in a day or two. Never met Mr Jamie or keystonerunner. Since I ended up walking most of the course and took almost 6:40 doing it, they may have left by the time I finished.

QOTD: I've done both.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

Doing a mini cutback week this week and may as well start today.  We'll see maybe I'll do a 5 miler later.

qotd: We cremated our dog Gidget. But the last few small pets, like our rabbit Clark, we buried in the back yard.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

bagge_pants

Hi All, Didn't mean to be MIA. Been running hilly stuff since I got back in CA. Last ten days have been 55 total miles with 9,500' total elevation gain at 10:35 per mile avg. Some of it could be considered speed work with one downhill mile in 6 minutes and another day with a downhill (~1200' loss) 5k in 23 minutes. I'm a little sore from these efforts, plus some ocean swimming here and there. I'm a taking a few consecutive days off then when I feel rested again will be running more easy runs then back to hills.

QOTD: (haha, thought it was for humans) Like the idea of burial, though cremation is easier on the living who have to deal with the process. There are expensive eco burial type stuff out there where they will plant you into a tree. That would be fun.

About pets: depends on where they die. It would be awkward to take a deceased pet home from the vet and then bury it in the yard. Also, size comes into play. All small pets can be buried under about a foot. I've never buried a dog but would do it potentially.

runtraildc

Continuing the daily to Sunday, since it fits (at least for me).  Got in 4 miles on Saturday and my 10 miler race this morning.  Shaved 2 min off from last year and a PR by a min (but just missed my goal of getting under 1:30). It was a hard effort and I'm tired and emotional (very unusual for me). It was a perfect day for this race, and I barely noticed all the rolling hills. Ok, that's a lie.

qotd:  my childhood dogs are all buried in the woods behind my parents.  My sibling pets have all been cremated.

funny story-- my sister (a vet) had a client's golden retriever sent to be cremated and the owner requested his ashes be placed in a carved box made by him especially for this purpose.  Well, the dog didn't quite fit into the box once cremated and came back with a second cardboard box holding the extra ashes.  His wife came to pick up his ashes and apparently had a look of horror once she realized the situation.  She asked my sister if she could leave the extra ashes and to 'please never tell my husband'.