Trailer Trash

Thursday Thread (Read 32 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Bike shoes are for biking, tennis shoes are for fashion. 

Not a great run this morning. Had high hopes since weather was so nice. Ended up with 9 miles.  Felt sluggish at the start and never got my wind. Didn't help that first 2.5 miles were all uphill and climbed 1100', but I adjusted my pace for that and still felt more sluggish than I should.  Oh well, days like this are bound to happen.

QOTD:  I use my Garmin 910 more for tracking maps then for reliable distance.  When I was coaching XC , I ran the course and got 2.95 miles and the course was wheeled at 3.1 miles (5000m).  The picture when I downloaded was a bunch of straight lines.  Fellrunr did an experiment on his site a while back. Pretty wide variations if I recall.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I ran two this morning before daylight. I'm watching the debates after work.

QOTD: I don't have one. I have no opinion. Sometimes during a race, I might sidle up to someone with one on and ask how fast (slow) we are running. But I go more by effort than a specific time. I know when I am rolling and when I am crawling by feel.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

No, of course not.  You know I'm the type of person to get butthurt over little things.     As for a more logical reason, how about starting to run consistently again after a long hiatus and surgery?  How about surgery changing my gait?  Surgery changing my foot strike?  

Those are also sound theories. As for myself I can vouch that surgery altered my stride and footstrike.  Now I'm going mountain biking while wearing an old pair of trail shoes and I'll give it some more thought!

Anyway I am glad you you have at least a diagnosis and hopefully the future is bright.  Send me a PM on your stay in the U.P. when you get a chance.

Daydreamer1

How about some of the other bikers weighing in--Daydreamer,Watoni,AT, etc.

Since the bike shoes have a rigid sole they would most likely be better then regular tennis shoes.  And remember something Mandy. The rigid soles are good for something else as well. The next time you need to give NH a swift kick in the arse to keep him straight  it will protect your foot better .

NHLA

daydreamer  the XM-GPS loses signal because of the mountains. It is worse when you are on the north slope.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Since the bike shoes have a rigid sole they would most likely be better then regular tennis shoes.  And remember something Mandy. The rigid soles are good for something else as well. The next time you need to give NH a swift kick in the arse to keep him straight  it will protect your foot better .

LOL.  Excellent idea!

Enjoy your ride, Harrier!  I think I need to reward myself with a new mountain bike when this crap is over with.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Her foot starting acting up when I challenged her to a run off...not only did I post her picture on my computer but I also created a voodoo doll and was sticking needles in her foot.    After June I stopped so you should be better soon Mandy.

But on the shoes you should get bike shoes.  You don't have to clip in but if you decide to it can be a really loose clip.

Another thing, don't you wear minimalist shoes?  Maybe you need something more.

and finally hate to go there but didn't you start dating someone at that point.  Maybe it's his fault.

How about some of the other bikers weighing in--Daydreamer,Watoni,AT, etc.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

some call me Tim

7 miles goal effort on the home trails today, running some different surfaces to get an idea of pace range. I also finished the rough cut of this year's addition to the loop and ran that as part of it. Granted, it was unambitious as I have a lot of other stuff going on, but it was a little disappointing that I didn't even get quite a tenth of a mile out of it.

Granted, this is all measured by GPS, so maybe it's longer than I think it is ;-)

qotd: Seriously, yeah, I think they generally measure short under tree cover. It's enough for me to look at the watch and go, "Really? C'mon!" and pick up the pace a little, so I kind of see a little training stimulus there. Ha. Also, consider that those GPS points can be interpreted in a number of different ways, all of which will give slightly different results. I currently have a problem with my TomTom runner uploading runs through the woods to Strava that end up a quarter to a half mile short. Just Strava.

Watoni

Good bike shoes and pedals are a great thing. Much better for your feet (and the whole kinetic chain).

You can also use MTB shoes/pedals if you are more comfortable with those. I like the platform of the SPD-SL pedals from Shimano. Their shoes are pretty good as well (but I am waiting on a new pair of custom D2s).

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bike commuted to work, nothing more 

NH- glad you had a good trip, despite the wind

Mandy-hope the air boot does the trick and you're back to running soon!

qotd: I almost purchased an expensive GPS watch a couple of times, but glad I waited- I now have a iphone 6 loaded with Gaia gps mapping, it turns your phone into a map based gps, replete w/ tracking (which thus far very accurate, albeit not as much tree cover as some of you have), but so much more- you can load in seamlessly 24k:1 topo maps of an area you select, can even load in sat maps, pinpoint your location, etc- my phone is also my camera, tunes and sometimes even my phone 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Her foot starting acting up when I challenged her to a run off...not only did I post her picture on my computer but I also created a voodoo doll and was sticking needles in her foot.    After June I stopped so you should be better soon Mandy.

But on the shoes you should get bike shoes.  You don't have to clip in but if you decide to it can be a really loose clip.

Another thing, don't you wear minimalist shoes?  Maybe you need something more.

and finally hate to go there but didn't you start dating someone at that point.  Maybe it's his fault.

Well, damn, Sue!! Thanks for taking out the needles, woman!  Also, I wear stability shoes, never done the minimalist thing. As for the guy, yeah, let's definitely blame him!

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Today is a SRD for me. I was on a 4 hour web-meeting last night that started at 10pm (it was a torture), so I wasn't getting up early today anyway.  :-)

I'll post a little update on Devan in the Derby thread.

MM: I really hope that the boot helps!!!

qotd: Same goes for me.

QOTD:  never owned a GPS watch, but I use my MapMyRun on my phone sometimes.  Seems fine on trails, not that I have anything to compare it to in terms of accuracy.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Feeling so much better today, but I held off with the run until tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to Sunday, when I have a long run (28 miles) planned with a guy from the running club.

XT: Love the dorkalator!  That's what I think of it.

Mandy: When I first read through the thread, I was thinking of my own foot, and how one single 12- or 14- mile run in shoes tied too tight caused pain lingering for two months or longer. It might be worth looking into the shoe issue. I also vote for bike shoes and pedals, it makes a huge difference!

But now that Queen has owned up to it, we don't have to wreck your brains any more. Hope you'll heal up soon!

QOTD: See comment to XT. I have never owned one, only my running buddy has gone through a few over the years. I also think the GPS watches measure short (not by so much that I'd care about it, though), and I just think the constant beeping ruins the fun. But to each their own - I can understand the numbers geek, too.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

daydreamer  the XM-GPS loses signal because of the mountains. It is worse when you are on the north slope.

Our XM would lose it's signal in the spring when the trees leafed out.  In DC.  I did not subscribe when the trial period ended.

as for running, didn't do any.  Walked my mom's  dogs in the woods instead.

qotd:  good enough.  Mine will measure slightly long on measured courses, but variance is to be expected.