Trailer Trash

Olympics Thursday (Read 24 times)

runtraildc

Yeah, can't make a catchy title for the daily, but it's the first day of the olympics and somehow that needs to be recognized.  Heading out the door to meet a friend for 5 miles or so. Rain finally ended last night and now it's cold, but sunny and dry. And still continuing the daily yoga, so that will happen as well.

qotd: Favorite Winter Olympic event? I cannot pick just one-- but my favorites include skiing (all of it), speedskating and bobsled & skeleton.  Oh, the high adrenaline, speed events! Could care less about hockey, ice dancing/figure skating.

dpc3

No run for me today, last day out in the desert trying to catch cranes. I will get in 12-15 miles of hiking walking into my site then making multiple trips to get gear out. Heading back to the ABQ in the morning tomorrow.

QOTD: I’m not into the Olympics especially winter but if I had to choose I’d say Curling. Looks like a sport you could drink beer and have fun playing.

LB2

QOTD: I’m not into the Olympics especially winter but if I had to choose I’d say Curling. Looks like a sport you could drink beer and have fun playing.

I like the way you think!!

LB2

LB2

I ran 3 this morning. Trails were soupy, but it was a good run. Yesterday morning it was 70 degree at 4AM. This morning it was 40.

QOTD: Biathlon and cross country skiing. I wish there was some sort of event out there where you ran and shot targets along the way. Maybe there is, but that is what you do at the biathlon if you aren't familiar with it. The US Olympic people showed up one day when I was in the Marines, and they pulled a couple of guys from our unit who were good skiers and good shots. None of them made the team, but it was pretty cool to have some folks you know get to try out for it.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4.5 miles with Tiny E last night, went to a little more popular area and the trails were packed enough I didn’t need snowshoes.

We’re experiencing some really diabolical weather today- right now it’s 45 and raining (on top of a foot plus of snow)- by noon it’s going to drop to freezing, by 5:00 PM upper teens, by midnight below 0!  This doesn’t bode well for humans traveling and for wildlife a possible death sentence- a thick layer of ice of deep snow is by far the worst scenario for deer/elk/moose 

qotd: I’m with LB, biathlon, but they never show it!  nothing against figure skaters, but I’d rather watch paint dry and if it’s anything like all previous Olympics- they’ll be a ton of paint drying to watch

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Plan is for weights and stretching at lunch, and a short run on the local trail after work. Trail conditions might be sketchy with the mixed bag of precipitation yesterday and cold overnight temps.

QOTD: The big downhill skiing events (downhill, super G), cross country skiing including biathlon, some speed skating. Ski jumping is sort of fun to watch too. Boo hiss to ice dancing.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

I forgot about the Olympics, thanks for reminding me. I'll try to watch some of it on You Tube or something like that.  Might get in a road run later today. Spent the morning putting in a new wheel bearing on the SUV. Actually took it out last night.   The YouTube video  shows that once you remove the bolts a few "gentle" taps and it falls right out.  Some not so gentle taps with the 16 oz hammer got me nowhere.  Spent 10-15 minutes slamming it with the 5 lb sledge to break it free .   Good Lord my arms are sore this morning. No lifting for a few days until they recover. I'm counting that as my  cross training.

Probably a 5 mile run after I get back from the eye doctor.

QOTD:  Bobsled and Biathlon.  Bobsled is really fast and reminds me of carving a really fast downhill on the bike. Biathlon kind of combines two things  that I like.  Aerobic exercise with shooting.  I'm with LB2 on the running and shooting.  Somewhere I thought that I saw a NRA competition where they did that, but I might be wrong. Gonna have to look that up.

While not my favorite I actually like some of the figure skating.  It certainly requires a type of balance, agility and strength that I don't have.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So I didn't get up to run because I was thinking about my plan to run MWFS...ok that's kinda an excuse.  It is boot camp day though.  I have been hitting gym MWF and boot camp T and Th is an effort to shed a bit before Mexico.

QOTD:  We had our staff meeting yesterday and the questions was what sport would you want to perform in the Olympics.  Mine was skiing.  I grew up watching the Olympics and I always dreamed of being in them on the ski team.    Watching is different....I would have to pick...figure skating, speed skating, and snowboarding...the tricks one.  But no TV so will not watch any.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My cousin is active army reserves and he is on there biathlon team both cross country skiing and running.  The Army (us) have paid for him to go to some nice country's to run or ski and shoot guns.  You should look it up you might find this competition in  your area.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3618027

QOTD: Biathlon and cross country skiing. I wish there was some sort of event out there where you ran and shot targets along the way. Maybe there is, but that is what you do at the biathlon if you aren't familiar with it. The US Olympic people showed up one day when I was in the Marines, and they pulled a couple of guys from our unit who were good skiers and good shots. None of them made the team, but it was pretty cool to have some folks you know get to try out for it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This head cold has been kicking my a$$ this week.  But I need to sweat again so I went to the gym last night and got in 5+ on the TM.  I don't feel any better today but at least I felt good during my run last night.

QOTD: The Olympics start today?? Actually DW and I made that statement after the SB about them starting this week.  We did not realize it.  They really don't push or advertise the winter Olympics like they do the summer games - or at least it seems that way.  Having said that, I am sure I will watch some here and there but likely not too much.  I like the short track speed skating - it reminds me of roller derby the way they jockey for position.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I forgot about the Olympics, thanks for reminding me. I'll try to watch some of it on You Tube or something like that.  Might get in a road run later today. Spent the morning putting in a new wheel bearing on the SUV. Actually took it out last night.   The YouTube video  shows that once you remove the bolts a few "gentle" taps and it falls right out.  Some not so gentle taps with the 16 oz hammer got me nowhere.  Spent 10-15 minutes slamming it with the 5 lb sledge to break it free .   Good Lord my arms are sore this morning. No lifting for a few days until they recover. I'm counting that as my  cross training.

Yeah, nothing in that area of a vehicle ever falls right out, especially the older it gets.  I'm impressed.

QOTD:  It would be easier to list the sports I don't like vs the ones I do.  Probably figure skating and ice dancing fall toward the bottom of the list, but I still watch those too. 

6 in rain last night, 4 more tonight.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hey I just saw the "tax" relief in my paycheck.  Thanks XT for asking that Q the other day.  I would have not had a clue as to why I am getting more money.  I quickly increased my retirement investment before I thought about it too much. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

I went to the office gym at lunch, mostly stretching and a little core stuff.  I'm taking a SRD today from running.

Looking forward to watching the Olympics, I'm sure to get a little homesick for Korea though.  Pyeongchang is where I did that 100k about a year and a half ago, but unfortunately I didn't finish due to my plantar fasciitis.  One of those runs I probably shouldn't have started, but I wanted to give it a go.

qotd: I'm with XT, downhill and super G, and also like cross country skiing.  All the rest is still ok, but anything that depends on judges for scoring sucks.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

My cousin is active army reserves and he is on there biathlon team both cross country skiing and running.  The Army (us) have paid for him to go to some nice country's to run or ski and shoot guns.  You should look it up you might find this competition in  your area.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3618027

I am doing a spring biathlon that involves running and hopefully shooting a turkey or two.

LB2