Trailer Trash

2015 100-milers: Joining the Journey (Read 58 times)

RaiderGwen

JJ100 - Oct 31st

My first attempt!  Might die!

Nevermind. Dislocated and broken ankle. SAD!

"The best day is today, even if it's kind of a sucky day."  - Lazarus Lake

LB2

Nevermind. Dislocated and broken ankle. SAD!

At least you won't die.

LB2

I'm running the Rio del Lago 100 Nov. 7-8.

So far, all taken care of.

Anyone else, or someone doing another 100?

RaiderGwen

I'm running the Rio del Lago 100 Nov. 7-8.

I have a friend running that one.  It'll be his first 100!  Look for the guy with the wolf tattoo on his arm.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Bummer, Raider! I hope you'll recover soon. How did that happen? And what's the prognosis so far?

EDRW: Thanks! Did you run Bigfoot? I was wondering how you fared.

Run for fun.

I did, but DNFd at mile 110.  It's an extremely hardass course and I just didn't train hard enough.  But I'm going back next year for redemption!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oh, sorry to hear about your DNF, but 110 miles is very impressive regardless. I looked up the race a while ago because I was considering it for 2016 or 17, and it looks like one of the tougher 100-milers, but twice as long. Definitely an extreme challenge.

Hope you'll get the monkey off your back next year!

Run for fun.

RaiderGwen

Bummer, Raider! I hope you'll recover soon. How did that happen? And what's the prognosis so far?

I dislocated and broke it in the most embarrassing fashion.  Here's my blog post / story of doom.

I have two more weeks until I see the surgeon again, then I learn if I can start weight bearing / start P.T. Bad news, the day after I leave town for four months of work.  Good news, work is in a much larger city, with better P.T's available.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Gwen, I hope you'll heal up soon again and get back to hitting the trails!

I read your tragically comical report, and - despite the tragedy - I had to laugh out loudly at some stories.

Funny enough, we ultra runners seem to be just such figures - I dislocated and broke my elbow in a similarly embarrassing manner, overachieved, too, of course, and luckily got it fixed again.

Thinking about it, this was 6 weeks before what should have been my first trail race ever.

Sounds like a lot of strange coincidences?  

Take good care of your ankle, and never give up your dream of your first 100!

BTW, do you know CharlesMoman?

He had a car accident on his way home from his last long night run before his first 100-miler (did I mention we are strangely comical heroes of tragedy here?) and got almost every bone on his left side broken in pieces, including his pelvis.

And he "ran" the first 100 feet (or so) of what was supposed to be his first 100-miler on his walker or crutches. Sounds like your idea of doing a lap of JJ100 on crutches. 

Good luck!

Run for fun.