Trailer Trash

Grindstone (Read 28 times)

Keep Going

For some reason I thought I commented on this.  I read it a while ago but...

I retold your story of the runner in the fetal position on the side of the trail to some co-workers.  I think I was trying to deflect their thoughts about ME being crazy.  I am not sure it worked.

Thanks for sharing.  That is a good way to get redemption for your races over the summer.

So what's next year look like for you?

Lol yeah it's like Fresh Prince, some people just don't understand!

I'm trying to write up a full race report but it just takes so long and reliving the trauma is always tough as well!

For 2017 I applied for Hardrock, but no shot of realistically getting in unless I, well, hit the lottery. But I'm going back to MMT, Eastern States and probably do Grindstone again then apply for Hardrock for 2018. Rinse repeat over and over. The goal is HR for sure.

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Lol yeah it's like Fresh Prince, some people just don't understand!

I'm trying to write up a full race report but it just takes so long and reliving the trauma is always tough as well!

For 2017 I applied for Hardrock, but no shot of realistically getting in unless I, well, hit the lottery. But I'm going back to MMT, Eastern States and probably do Grindstone again then apply for Hardrock for 2018. Rinse repeat over and over. The goal is HR for sure.

Ever since ES started a few years ago, I thought there should be an Eastern US version of the Grand Slam.  Although I still do not understand why Vermont 100 is included in the traditional Grand Slam with WS, Leadville, and Wasatch. I know they are some of the oldest 100's but it's like the old Sesame Street song "which one of these things is not like the others...".  Anyways, maybe you can pick our a 4th race on the east coast to fit the bill of crazy difficult 100's.  I think Georgia has a couple hard ones but I am not sure of the time of year they are.  But nonetheless, those three make for a nice trio.  We'll be pulling for you!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Ever since ES started a few years ago, I thought there should be an Eastern US version of the Grand Slam.  Although I still do not understand why Vermont 100 is included in the traditional Grand Slam with WS, Leadville, and Wasatch. I know they are some of the oldest 100's but it's like the old Sesame Street song "which one of these things is not like the others...".  Anyways, maybe you can pick our a 4th race on the east coast to fit the bill of crazy difficult 100's.  I think Georgia has a couple hard ones but I am not sure of the time of year they are.  But nonetheless, those three make for a nice trio.  We'll be pulling for you!

Cruel Jewel is in May. It, too, is a HR qualifier.

LB2

Keep Going

Ever since ES started a few years ago, I thought there should be an Eastern US version of the Grand Slam.  

Funny you should mention that! I have had this discussion with several others before. I called the trio GEM Slam, however one runner smartly pointed out that a slam is 4 not three. So we tried to come up with a 4th 100 miler that is tough as hell. To keep the slam tradition I suppose a race like Umstead or C&O Canal 100 could be tossed in but that's no fun. We thought that the Wild Oak Trail 100 in mid October put on by the VHTRC would work but that would be beyond brutal being a week or so after Grindstone. It's close to 120 mile run 4 loops and over 30k of elevation. Only a few have finished it. That would be epic!

Now that you have had over a week what are your post race feelings on OC? Are you in for the hunnerd next year?

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Funny you should mention that! I have had this discussion with several others before. I called the trio GEM Slam, however one runner smartly pointed out that a slam is 4 not three. So we tried to come up with a 4th 100 miler that is tough as hell. To keep the slam tradition I suppose a race like Umstead or C&O Canal 100 could be tossed in but that's no fun. We thought that the Wild Oak Trail 100 in mid October put on by the VHTRC would work but that would be beyond brutal being a week or so after Grindstone. It's close to 120 mile run 4 loops and over 30k of elevation. Only a few have finished it. That would be epic!

Now that you have had over a week what are your post race feelings on OC? Are you in for the hunnerd next year?

Surprisingly, no.  I thought I would be after the 100k, and even though I feel good about what I did there, I am content to wait even longer.  Most of it has to do with the need to get my schooling done (hopefully in spring of 2017) and then I can devise a plan for 2018.  But thanks for trying to nudge me.

There is always Mohican 100 in June.  I know nothing of it's difficulty but let's be honest - (yes back to the Vermont 100!) - Vermont 100 being in the other GS makes no sense in terms of difficulty level so even if Mohican is a bit easier, it still might be good.  OC would be a great addition except that it is the same weekend of Grindstone and well...

If nothing else, this makes for good discussion.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

Sounds like tough conditions in a tougher race, congratulations Keystone!