Trailer Trash

Thirst Day!!! (Read 15 times)

LB2

Probably no run today unless I can squeeze on in this evening.

QOTD: What changes will you make this year in your running?

I will try to run for the fun of it this year. I doubt I race this year at all. I feel like I am starting over completely. I took a couple of weeks off completely during the Christmas break to hunt after seeing a huge buck chase a doe through my yard on December 10th. I ran out in the frosty yard, barefooted and in my underwear, with my rifle. But he was gone. I got back inside and saw another rack buck, not as big, coming across also. He heard me open the kitchen window and ran away before I could shoot. Anyway, I didn't think about running anymore, and I ended up passing on a few does. But I honestly feel like I have completely lost all the fitness I have build up over the last ten years, which I know is not true. It just feels that way, and it sort of excites me.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Managed to get in 5 miles at Green Lane last night before sunset on lightly snow covered trails and frozen tundra along the frozen lake. It looks to be pretty solid ice at this point. Wonder if they will get any ice fisherman this weekend? I often thought it would be fun to run across the lake when it's frozen but do not have the balls to venture out there. I could make some new loops that way though, combining trails from both sides of the reservoir.

No run today. The weather is foul. Light blowing snow and wind. At least we are not on the coast. Perhaps some gym action later with the resolutioners.

QOTD: I really don't know about changes. I'd just like to get back to more regular running, perhaps throw in some faster stuff, but I need to get completely healthy. I sort of worry that will not happen, and will just plod along with the dog for sanity and mental health sake. In any case, I don't have any aspirations for the 100 mile distance or WS qualifying this year so that is something different I suppose.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Hi all. The plan for today was yoga at lunch and a short run during swim practice later. Yoga will happen, but not sure about the run since it is blowing 25-30 out there. Under these conditions, I worry about something falling down on/near me. I'll report tomorrow as to what happens.

qotd: I'd like to work on speed, but I think that was last year's goal (and something that did not happen). I guess I need to figure out what to do differently to make that happen.

Sandy-2

Hey LB2, welcome back!!   Isn't there some sort of local ordinance about hunting in your underwear?  Maybe there should be...

I plan to do 4 mi after work today.

qotd: I kind of did Arkansas Traveler (Oct) and Brazos Bend (Dec) 100 milers off of "residual" fitness from doing pretty regular and halfway decent running weeks and a few b2b 20 miler weekends, but nothing really specific or targeted.  I need to ramp-it-up a bit in order to get through The Bear next Sept since it's pretty gnarly (pressure is on to get The Bear done as I need it for a qualifier).  So I plan to do some more targeted stuff like stair climbing, core work, speed work, b2bs, etc, in addition to my normal miles. 

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Gator eye

LB2. We need to revisit the quote "Heard the kitchen window"

First of all you know you should be lubricating those windows before season and

Second, you do realise we have a game warden wandering around on a daily bases amd from his pics he looks like he would lock up his own Mother.

6 miles again this am, it sure feels good to get back out there

QOtD: hummm....... have to think on it

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I made a promise to Tiny Elvis that regardless of the temps, we’re hitting the trails this evening

It’s 1 degree out now (10:00 AM), so I call bullshit on the weatherman’s prediction of 22, we might hit 10-12 degrees.

qotd: probably less running and more hiking with Tiny E; I worried about losing running fitness with this, but surprisingly the runs I do get in (including long runs) have been just fine in both pace and feel.  I think this in at least part due to the terrain we hike in and our pace- it’s power walking hills and jogging downs- we’re not dawdling.

Oh and I picked my gift from Santa yesterday 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Just broke my New Years streak by running 5 miles this morning with the mutts.  I felt it, my legs dragged, were stiff, and I ran slow.

QOTD:  I want to be more consistent.  But your questions is what change will I make; that's like definite.  I was playing with the idea of doing my first 100; but I don't think I have that in me to compete to the training portion.  I also thought about showing up at the track with a group that does speed so that when I go running it is fun.  Basically the same goals I have and continue to work on. 

LB2:  You know you're a redneck when you are shooting at deer through the kitchen window

Jamie:  Is your streak over?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

I LOOOOVVVVE winter Snowstorm.  Now that it's here and it's been cold, and now snowing, I'm acclimated and really wish it would stay like this for 6 more weeks.

No run today due to working.  No run or anything yesterday.  Had to deal with some aftermath of my Christmas day mishap with the tree.  Why do people become clueless when they become managers????  Grrr 1.

LB2 - Sounds like you need to become like the Indians. Supposedly some of them were strong enough runners to run the deer to exhaustion.

Xtreme - If they have Ice fishing on it I'd be trying to run/slide on it.  Now I'll feel terrible if you do that, fall and hurt yourself.

Runtrail - Yea, watch those falling branches.

Sandy -  Hey those people over there in Loosyanna are too crazy for an ordinance like that  Grin.

Gator - Considering that there seems to be more deer stands in Michigan then homes I don't find it surprising that you would think of greasing the windows.

Warden - Looks nice but it's missing the sights.  I know, I know, I'm a purist. Even though I use a scope I still like the looks of open sights.

Queen - Four days in and already breaking streaks .

QOTD: I'll try to get more miles this winter because of having to get ready for a 24 hour that is two months too early.   I'm going to try to push the trails a lot more this year.  My cranky hip is starting to flare up on me more and I think trails would ease the effort on it.  I'm planning on working on short speed runs, then do a lot of run/walk  on the long stuff.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

iron sights are coming   I’ll be running a banded front sight with a fiber optic insert, the rear will be a Talley ghost ring sight that attaches to their scope mount. They’ll be strictly backup to a 2-7x Leupold scope (with quick detach rings). If something were to go awry with the scope in the backcountry, I’ll still be good to go.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes Queen the streak...is over.  But I will start again today.  No more streaking for me.  Let's leave that to LB2 in his draws running after the Big Buck! https://www.runningahead.com/images/forum/emo_shocked.gif

Love your quote from yesterday Queen, but alas I ended it. 

I will run tonight though, maybe at the gym since this wind just won't quit.  Looks like warmer temps next week though...let's hope anyway. 

QOTD: No more streaking as I said but I vow to be more meaningful and more intentional about my running.  The plan is for a 24 hour in May (with AT and DD) and possibly my first hundred in October - so some training there must be.  I do need to get some motivation though for the intentional running/training.  I will blame it on the sucky cold weather for now. 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Sandy -  Hey those people over there in Loosyanna are too crazy for an ordinance like that  Grin.

Rumor has it he was wearing these......

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

LB2. We need to revisit the quote "Heard the kitchen window"

First of all you know you should be lubricating those windows before season and

Second, you do realise we have a game warden wandering around on a daily bases amd from his pics he looks like he would lock up his own Mother.

6 miles again this am, it sure feels good to get back out there

QOtD: hummm....... have to think on it

Hahaha. Well, I said "kitchen window" not "truck window". I live in the woods, not a neighborhood. There was a suction sound on the window when I opened it, so it made a noise, not a squeaky one though. Plus, he probably saw the movement of me in the window. I did get out the door on the next one and got him in my crosshairs, but I didn't want to shoot a spike. I should have shot a doe I saw while actually hunting a little later that day, but I let her go, too.

Sandy: I don't know if there is an ordinance against shooting deer in boxers. However, they were not hunter orange, so that may have been an issue.

Daydreamer: I have thought about this. On an open plain or prairie, I think that is probably possible in theory, perhaps in practice if you are hungry enough. But here, it would be virtually impossible to do on foot because the woods are too thick. The deer would be out of sight and even a good tracker would have a hard time picking up a trail to keep him moving fast enough to play out. I've heard of deer totally playing out in front of dogs, and it is the general practice when hunting hogs with dogs to "bay" them up. Then, they go in there with either a pit bull and tie him up or stab him with a knife or shoot him. I think that it is cruel to stab anything and don't want any part of that. But people do it. It is legal.

Sue: Yes. That was pretty redneck, but those were some pretty good deer. The first one was about as good as they get.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Yesterday was a speed/tempo type workout so today is more of a rest day. I'm happy to spend some time on weights and the elliptical tonight. Getting a little weary with this relentless bitter cold. Next week will be decent though according to the weatherman. I hold out hope.

Wanted to say thanks to everyone that welcomed me back. You guys are all right. 

QOTD--Old people don't like change. Just more of the same-trails, speedwork, and distance. More mtn. biking and keep losing more weight. I should mention I had a violent mt. bike crash in the fall that put a baseball sized dent in my helmet.  Helmets are a good thing.  The rest of my body felt like I had been hit by a truck but never even felt my head hit that boulder.

LB2

I was just wearing regular boxers, not boxer briefs.

LB2