Trailer Trash

What keeps you motivated? (Read 54 times)

Snowdenrun

I've been in a huge slump lately. My running has seriously suffered. I'm averaging one run a week, generally less. For a while I was catching up on sleep, now I'm sleeping too much. The runs I do get out for I enjoy. I just have a really hard time getting out there. I do have a lot going on right now, but I always have a lot going on. That is nothing new. So in short, I've finally realized that I've let my excused get the best of me. I miss running, but I lack the motivation to get out and do it.

So what keeps you running? What gets you to start running again? What is your swift kick in the ass?

Latent Runner

My standard answer, ice cream.

I park at a trail head, run out, and when I turn around I remind myself there are two ice cream parlors only a few hundred yards from my car.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      Chnaiur

Great question!

The times I have a chance to get our in "real nature", it is easy for me. Getting out on narrow trails in forest or mountains is just good for my brain.

But what makes me go out and do the same five-mile flat bike-path loop overlooking the mud flats again and again? It is not beautiful and it is not very fun. I can think of a few things that I use as tools to get that done:

1) Having a fitness goal and reaching it requires consistency. I have two goals for next year: one is to be as fit as I can for my annual ski mountaineering trip, the second one is to run a 50-miler.

2) By now it is a habit. Getting some time on my feet is just something I do every day.

3) I tell myself it is just a little warm-up.

4) It is nice and relaxing to to get some sun.

5) EDIT: Forgot one of the main reasons that I work out every day: I need it to sleep well. Flushing that caffeine out and making the body tired isn't optional for me.

Maybe you just need to find something else for a while? Check this vid out for a pretty philosophical strongman dude. He is pretty insightful IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6h_UsFbvfs

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If I remember correctly, I think you got hit hard by a post race let-down.  You ran that marathon then kinda petered off right?  For me, that is  the hardest time to reaffirm motivation.

I don't have a good answer right now because I too am in a slump

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

I'm somewhat obligated to run. There are expectations placed on me and I've agreed to do certain things, so that helps keep me focused. Sometimes I find it easier if I know somebody else is relying on me to run, or to run well.

I also know that whatever is bothering me can be cured by going out for a run. I used to have to convince myself of that but now it comes instinctively. The days I feel like running the least are the days that I really need to go for a run.

Snowdenrun

shipo- I need to run because I loooove ice cream Smile

Chnaiur- Great video! I was confused at first since it wasn't running related. But I really like what he ends up talking about.

Jamezilla- That's correct. I think my slump actually started about a month before the marathon. I was so tired of thinking about "the marathon" for so damn long. Then after the race I spent a long time recovering, which I did not do well, because I still have butt/thigh pain that I am working through. I've thought about finding another race to motivate me but I don't think that's in my best interests since I think that's a big contributor to this whole thing. Really, I want to get back to running for enjoyment.

lace-  I also know that whatever is bothering me can be cured by going out for a run. I used to have to convince myself of that but now it comes instinctively. The days I feel like running the least are the days that I really need to go for a run. This is exactly right. I have this epiphany every time I run, and then seem to forget it again the next day. I am a much happier/nicer person when I am running consistently.

Having an upcoming race always motivates me. Otherwise, I am too lazy. Honestly, it is cold and dark outside right now and do not want to go run because I am warm and cozy inside. The fact that I have no races in the near future is making me say, "okay take a rest day." But if I had a race coming up I would definitely go.

Besidses that, I can get pretty grumpy when I don't run for extended periods of time. Like last week, I took a full week off and definitely looked forward to my Sunday run.

Maybe sign up for a race, doesn't  have to be a long one. Might motivate you to get out there more often.

AT-runner

Tim

When I feel like I'm in a rut, I'll seek out a new route and then when I run it, I'll slow down and enjoy the day.  I had a run a few months ago that included a new vista, and I stayed at the vista for maybe 10 minutes trying to make out what direction I was looking.  I left the watch i the car and have no idea how long the run was, I just enjoyed it.  Those runs help remind me why I stay in the woods.

edit - I'll spend a lot of time researching my new route (maps, topo's, etc) and that helps me stay connected to the run when I get there.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

DigDug2

Honestly, scheduled races are the most motivating for me.  If I just ran when I felt like it, I would run a few times a week, but I probably wouldn't push myself to run far or fast.  Once I feel like I'm training for something, however, I motivate to follow a plan; then, once I'm in the middle of training, the work I've already done provides extra incentive to keep going.

moonlightrunner

When I have not run for a while...due to life and sometimes a lack of motivation...it becomes harder and harder to get myself to go. It is like inertia grabs me. It is made even more difficult when the weather is extreme. When I see that I am in a no run rut I pick a day and time I am hoping to run. If i don't want to when the time comes...I tell myself to get dressed and just go to the trail head...I don't HAVE to go when I get there. If iI still don't want go I tell myself...just take a short walk....and I do...and then I start running. I kind of fool myself into getting out.  I also run with my dog. Sometimes I will get out for a run more for her than for me.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

1) Sign up for a race.

2) Write some goals on paper..run 5 days a week...run 10 Sunday whatever.

3) I think you have a dog...take him for a walk..he will force you into a run.  Sometimes I just say go into the woods and do whatever..I also end up running.  My dog keeps me going.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

The fear of getting fat, slow and weak is what keeps me working out. Notice I said working out, not necessarily just running. If I get into a funk I'll switch things up a little. I have a few goals for the gym for over the winter that will keep me motivated. This past month my mileage has been way down, but I've been putting in hard workouts on the bike trainer and the elliptical. Sometimes you just need to switch things up a bit.

Do a little brainstorming and develop a fitness goal, maybe like this one, http://www.firefighterchallenge.com/  and start working towards it. (sorry the link doesn't work, I have problems with getting them to work when using firefox)

This past year was horrible for me. For some reason I felt  fat, slow and weak. I'm determined that it will be different next year.  I've set a goal for weight reduction as well as dietary changes. Over the past seven weeks since my 50k I've lost 5 1/2 lbs, increased my fruits and veggies, cut out soda and made a few other changes. The ultra was my final race until April and I had no real post race let down afterwards, which I attribute to having a new set of goals.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I think it's important to have goals- is for me anyways; I like to have both short term goals and long term goals

going out at night w/ a headlamp in single digit temps isn't easy, but once I'm out on the trails it's totally worth the effort to get going.  I don't think I've ever regretted a run, but I have regretted not going on a run.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I think it's important to have goals- is for me anyways; I like to have both short term goals and long term goals

going out at night w/ a headlamp in single digit temps isn't easy, but once I'm out on the trails it's totally worth the effort to get going.  I don't think I've ever regretted a run, but I have regretted not going on a run.

+1.  The motivation sometimes is simply found during the run.  Getting out of bed on a cold winter morning is tough but once I'm out there....

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Gator eye

I think everybody has these moments, I know I do. Sitting in my chair at 4 in the morning thinking that this is insane, why do I feel I have to run at this time in this weather, I ve lost the weight, BP is healthy, there is no good reason to put yourself through this I should go back to bed. Once I get out the door and a mile down the road I think running is the sanest thing I have ever done in my life.

Someday I'm afraid I'm going to lose this internal argument and the next time it's going to get easier and easier to skip and before I know it my shoes will be kicked to the back of the closet and find the treadmill makes a excellent clothes drier.

This probably motivates me more than anything