Trailer Trash

the Thursday (Read 32 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers!

My brace came and I'm thinking about getting in a few slow miles tonight to test it out.  The ankle is still swollen, but well down from the other day.  This brace has support inserts that fit around the ankle bone.  It is bulkier than I thought, but really not so bad and I think it'll give some more support that I need.

qotd:  What was the best pet that you ever had/knew?  (yes, pets are not like children.  You can have favorites).  Mine was a rescue springer spaniel my parents got when I was in college.  He was dumb as a box of rocks, but the sweetest thing.   gentle, loved people, could run/walk him off leash and he didn't run off to the next county.  Really handsome.  His name was Buster (came with the name and we didn't try to switch it).

muppy

7.5 trail miles last night.

Good old luck with the ankle Runtraildc!

QOTD I would say my dog now, he's some type of terrier mix we got from a rescue shelter. He's very affectionate and the happiest dog I ever met. His only problem is he weighs 70 pounds and is convinced he's a lap dog!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So no runs for next two days and the really big run is Saturday..I think I can do this!!!    I checked with the race director and they give you a 22 oz IPA after the race so I have something to run to. 

QOTD:  ruuntraildc when you don't have kids your dogs are your kids and I actually feel guilty answering this questions but it has to be Buster a chocolate lab who was my first dog at age 34 (Mom hated animals).  He was semi human and had absolutely no flaws.  He was perfect....  I miss that guy.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Another rowing workout.

QOTD:  I have had some great dogs over the years.  I loved them all.  If I have to pick the best it would depend on how you define best.

The smartest was probably a half dalmatian (maybe also half border collie, not sure) named Cookie.  She was pretty much a genius among dogs.  She was also a pain in the ass in a lot of ways.  She always thought she knew best and probably usually did.  She was a horrible puppy, but mellowed out in her later years.  At that point we could pretty much read each other's minds.

Marley is very smart and really well behaved.  She is far and away the best trained and easiest to live with of all my previous dogs.  She responds super well to verbal commands and hand signals.  She is very sweet and affectionate.  She has a few weird quirks, but they are generally endearing.  So overall she is the best.  Part of that is her temperament and part is that I am retired and have spent way more time with her than I did with previous dogs.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

Beautiful day today and I've spent it running errands. Waiting for car now that is having wheel  alignment.  Some big pot holes on my way to the trails this spring have the car drifting right.  Run tonight when I get done with things. I'm not usually an evening runner so should be different.

QOTD : Samantha, a black lab we had when we first got married. Great dog.  Wife had an older poodle when we got Sam and Sam never realized she was taller than 10". She would run right under tables and chairs and then look with amazement when things tipped over.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

My heel is still slightly sore so today will be another bike ride. Tuesday when I was on my ride the chain started skipping. Found a tight link in the chain that I couldn't get loosened up. I'd stop, work on it and several miles later it would be right back to it. Guess it's time to pull it off and see if a good cleaning helps. If not then I see a $30.00 chain in my future.  50 bucks a piece for tires, 30-40 for a good quality chain and biking becomes expensive. Looking at getting in around 30 miles.

QOTD: Almost all of our dogs were pretty good.  The one I like best was my last one. A genuine farm yard mutt. He was friendly, loving, committed to his family and loved to go along for runs and walks. He would go until he dropped. If we went for 4-5 miles, he would put on another 2-3 chasing things through the woods. Never put him on a leash. His greatest enjoyment was walking up to the neighborhood dogs that were tied or penned up, sniffing noses if they would, then peeing just out of their reach .  Almost like he was rubbing it in that he was free and they weren't.  When it came time to teach him anything though he was downright dumb. never really did learn to sit and shake a paw .  It was amazing to watch him with the neighbors dogs. They were all running loose and would go hunting together. He was the ring leader, they would all sit in a circle in the yard like they were talking then get up and head for the fields and it was obvious that they had a plan. We didn't have many ground hogs back in those days.  It was nice coming home to him after a rough day at work. Best therapist I ever talked too. Worked cheap as well.

Since that was so long I'll cut it short about the Tomcat I had as a teenager. He spent part of his time lounging in the house part of his time outside fighting and chasing the girls. He'd be sitting at the door in the morning after a rough night, hungry, tired and beat up. Mom would let him in, feed him, clean him up if necessary and let him sleep inside all day. She said if I acted like that she would have kicked me out .

NorthernHarrier

Did a short run in the woods this morning and I think my legs are starting to come around. Yesterday's easy run at Donald park was anything but easy. I think the two big mountain races and the 5 days backpacking just flat out led to a delayed exhaustion.  I have no races or events now on the calendar and that feels good. I'll do a few weeks of some easy runs and biking and then refigure things.  Heading north in a couple hours for the cabin. Have to get my canoe and gear ready as I'll be heading out for a 10 day canoe trip in Ontario middle of next week. My passion.

QOTD--I have no idea.  I know it was a Springer.   Each one I have had has had such a unique personality and style.  Probably either my first one "Bud" or my 9 year old "Cloe". Bud was the most intense and relentless hunter I have ever seen. I would have put him up against any dog for flat out production. A little hard headed but a great dog. Cloe is not far behind Bud in production but is just so much more controllable and fits my style. She is a sweetheart. Now I feel guilty so Otto and Yogi have to be mentioned as wonderful dogs, too. Our rescue Springer Sara--well we did the right thing but...let's just say she has a few issues but is slowly coming around. I'm already thinking on another one shortly but back to the field trial lines again.  While I hunt these dogs they are year round family members that go where we go, sleep on our bed, etc. Just love having them around.  My life would have an empty feeling without them.

NHLA

Newbe here.  13 miles  Echo Mt. Laurel Park NC.   Ran 1/2 mile to bottom of mt. ran around the east side and sesawed up the ridges.

You can see the sunrize for four miles this way. Around lake and up to Jump Off Rock and back down. Four mile downhill is a quad buster.

Apples are starting to get ripe already. Several wild trees along this route.

Proud dad of an Italian Greyhound. He loves to run.

AT-runner

Tim

Welcome, NHLA.  Glad you stopped by.  You'll have to add your trails to the Trail Finder thread.  We don't have any NC trails on the list yet.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

NHLA welcome aboard!  Going to do a repeat of my run yesterday, it's only 4.4 miles, but has 1500' of gain in .75 miles- right out of the chute

NH- I'm feeling the after effects as well, hoping another short run or two will shake it

qotd: all of my previous dogs were labs that I hunted over, for the most part all good dogs, but my favorite is my current dog that we "inherited", Beve McQueen- a pit bull terrier. He's 13 years old and now totally blind (hearing is going too), but the friendliest dog you'd ever meet

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

An easy 5 after work. Last night's 10 ended up as 9, nauseating and dizzy miles. It was still a little quicker than it seemed. I ran the first 4 miles pretty fast, and it was hot. There was quite a bit of run/walking for the last 5 miles. I was frustrated and grouchy.

QOTD: I would have to say Margie. She was a mix. I got her for my oldest daughter, and that dog looked after her all the time. I was on the porch one day and turned my back for a minute. Emily was walking toward the street. Margie got between her and the street and kept pushing her back toward the house. Another time, we went for a walk and three nasty strays came up and Margie whipped all three of them, running them off in short order.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Getting ready for my after-work run, hopefully DH will come home in time for me to still catch some sunshine. Planning on a shorter speed run.

NHLA: Welcome! Hope to have you here regularly.

QOTD: My first dog, Romi. She was a Newfoundland Dog/German Shepard/Border Collie (?) mix, with gorgeous fur (as long as it was on her - when she was shedding, twice a year, that was a different story) and huge ears. She was smart (could play dumb, though, when it came to learning new tricks, until she had figured it out), obedient, affectionate and social. Although, she also had a protective streak, too.

She learned to find items on her own that I had dropped half a mile back, and twice found my parents' car keys which they had lost during day trips. She could open doors and twice saved me from locking myself out of the apartment. She learned sign language for the basic commands (sit, down, come here, heel, search, stand on hind legs, bark,...), and could do several tricks. Unfortunately she also was a great hunter - often took a mouse as a snack on the go, and twice presented me with a rabbit. On the other hand, on our morning walk, she would usually carry the brown paper bag with freshly baked bread or pastries from the bakery to our doorstep without ever eating it.

And, even though she had been my only larger pet for more than 10 years, she would then share our home with my DD and two cats - she loved all of them.

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

oh, wth... I am battling some kind of cold and in an hour of wakefulness in 14 to rehydrate and such before hitting the sack again. I still did manage to get my 7 in yesterday (looping the home trails like usual) as it's all still in my head. I'm hoping that I don't end up with strep for the second year in a row at my favorite trail race this weekend - without this I'd have had a decent chance to win!

NHLA - welcome! I think I remember you from the main forums, though I don't make it over there much these days. It's just so cozy right here :-)

qotd: We once had a one-eyed rescue cat named Hawkeye who would sleep under the covers with you like a human and was vocal in a non-annoying way...

Sandy-2

Did 5mi up on the single track after work. Really warm, humid and very windy.  Expecting Typhoon Halola on Sunday.  3rd one to come this way in the last two weeks.  1 went west of us. 1 went east of us, let's hope this one doesn't split the difference and barrels down on us. It is a weaker one though.

Welcome NHLA.

qotd: I'd say our last dog Gidget. She was mostly Sheltie, but also Greyhound and German Shepard.  Smartest dog I ever had.  She could also run forever and stayed close off leash.  Until the last 3 years when he had to amputate one of her legs. But she was still a sweetie and a bundle of love.  We lost her in January and we still miss her.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL