Trailer Trash

Falling Down (Read 22 times)

moonlightrunner

You have all given such helpful responses. This is a soft place to fall....unlike the trail as of late.

DD1:  I mostly stub my toes. I very rarely roll my ankle since my footwear (5 Fingers) leave me very close to the trail. I don't wear glasses, but I find that my vision is diminished in low light, which is what most of my trails are...either because I am in a thick forest and/or running in the late afternoon. I plan to have my eyes checked soon....I am certain to get progressive lenses. I tend to look exclusively at the trail in front of me in an effort to see all the little toe-breakers on the trail. I don't really look at my feet, and rarely look away from the trail for more than a few fleeting seconds.

AT: when I have my eye exam I will ask about a correction to use for running that might improve my vision during that endeavor. I never thought of that.  As for my foot strike, I am mostly a midfoot or forefoot striker. When running technical rocky stuff I tend to be up on my toes quite a bit. I think a lot of my falls take place on flats, catching on the occasional toe-breaker sticking up. I had considered switching to Vivobarefoots to give my toes a bit more protection but still keeping me close to the trail...but....unfortunately...I left them in my drop bag at my last race and never picked it up...and the folks who put on the race have not answered my query about getting them back. Replacements are not an option right now, but might be down the road. As for fatigue, I do fall more when tired.

Posting? It is 10 pm and I just got toddlers to bed, one of which will not fall asleep...so he is on the couch. Some days I just can't fit it in. Some days I don't feel much like a runner and don't feel very post-worthy.

Jamie: one of my recent face plants I was soooo lucky that I happened not to plant on a rock. You are lucky you don't fall much. I have experienced a few near falls that injured my back more than the fall would have, I think.

Runtrail: I do wonder about core strength. As I have mentioned before, gym workouts and kale...things I know I need but hate and do not do. However, I just made an appointment to meet with the trainer at the gym I belong to that I never go to. I might even buy some Kale..since I just found out that I am iron deficient and my red blood cells are tiny as a result. Might explain why I seem more short of breath when running...but I am definitely going to try an make myself develop my core and arms and see if that helps.

LB: I do suspect I do not pick up my feet enough...It is almost like I am a lazy runner...not picking up my knees. I'm going to work on that and see if it helps. although I think that is a habit I will have to work hard to break.

xt: I hate those sapling stumps! Those are the SOB's that get me!

Mandy: I have thought of neuro problems, but find that in my normal life I am not too klutzy. I will google about ALS a bit...hopefully that is not it. I think the main neuro problem might be senility setting in. I do know that the brain tells the feet where to go based on what the eyes see..and that much of it is unconscious and that as a person age that the connections to make it happen smoothly don't work as well. I am hoping that it is not something serious. My doc is aware of my falls and does not seem alarmed. My parents are in their 80's and seem barely able to get around...I am terrified to be in that condition one day.

Fsocks: so glad I am not totally alone...I have fallen the last 3 of 5 runs.

NHLA: It is hard to maintain constant focus on the trail...and conversation with a run buddy increases the probability I will fall.

QON: you are spot on with my life...it is difficult to keep up with everything and be the runner I would like to be, and try to be better at work, and...take care of my aging parents and try to make sure my grand babies are safe and happy, and try to coax my daughter into being an independent and responsible adult. But...we all have difficulties. I don't know if being older makes things more distracting for me. It is just disheartening because it seems like when I am out running it should not require constant telling myself to keep and eye on the trail, pick  up my feet, remember where I know there are gnarly little roots that reach up to grab my toes. I have always looked at running as the easy part of my life, being that I am not very competitive and I am happy just to achieve adding distance and not so much speed. I really want to train to run a 50 miler this fall. But to do so, I must get faster to make the necessary cut offs. I have to work on this. I know that people run well into their 70s and 80's and I hope to be one of them...but I need to develop greater ability now while I am relatively young. I am desperately trying to out run old age.

Harrier:  lol...I have never read any of your posts that would lead me to think that there is anything pathetic about you. My falls happen so fast (or seem to) that I don't have much time to think how I am going to fall.

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I'll let you know what I find out. Maybe if I get my iron poor blood under control I will feel better, see better and pick up my feet better, and be a better runner. And...most of all...if I can get my butt to the gym and develop some core strength maybe I will have more near falls and fewer face plants.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

And...most of all...if I can get my butt to the gym and develop some core strength maybe I will have more near falls and fewer face plants.

I haven't been to the gym in about 2 years, consequently my core strength stinks.  Sometimes it gets so bad and my stomach hangs out while that I feel like I'm pregnant .  I recently started working on my core again, for like the hundredth time, since I always start than stop.

Here's what I have been doing.  I will lay across the bed with my feet hanging towards the floor, pull up my legs and do bicycle exercises. When I started I could only do 20-25 per leg. In about 2 weeks that's up to 120+. After that I'll try to keep my leg straight and raise it up as far as I can for 10-15 reps. Also been doing some planks.  May not be as good as the gym but it only took about a week to see and feel the results.  Best thing is it doesn't take much time to do. <5 minutes.