Trailer Trash

Call of the Wilds RR (Read 31 times)

Daydreamer1

So I'm sitting at AS #3 at the 17.5 mile mark and another runner comes in and starts taking care of the blisters on her feet. The only thing I could think was I wish I just had blisters.  Yep the ankle below is mine.

Today I ran part of the Call of the Wilds Marathon. This started 2 hours after the Eastern States 100. I didn't want to get up at  1:30 in the morning so I missed getting there in time to see Marie start.  The weather was super nice for this time of the year in PA. Temps were probably in the upper 40s when we started.

At the start.

Brianrunner was also supposed to be there but I didn't know his bib number so I missed meeting him to.

Approximately the first 1-1 1/2 miles were on the road and I thought the initial pace was quite high. Consequently I ended up more towards the back of the pack. Not a problem, I figured I'd take what the trail gave me and not push too hard too soon.

The first section of single track was rather nice.

After a short distance the trail became more twisty and rocky with a lot of off camber sections. I never do good on off camber trails and this took a toll on my ankles, especially my left one, which is my weakest one.

When the trail headed uphill the footing became rather sketchy then pitched upwards. At places it was steep enough and wet enough that there was a lot of slipping going on.

A lot of trail was like this. This section was probably  a 12-15% grade.

We finally had several hundred yards of nicer trail. Supposedly there will be more of this next year. This area I was pleased to be able to run. It was probably a 8-10% grade and I motored right up it gaining some time. Other then bad footing I didn't have any problems on the hills this year, something I credit on my training.

While a lot of the trail sucked there were some really nice sections as well.

The second Aid Station had a bunch of signs posted as we were leaving.  The second one usually pertains to me, but not today. No bear attacks at all .

One of the really nice views along the course.

Approximately 900-1000 feet below. Stopping for pictures like this cost me quite a bit of time. Time well spent.

Why walk when you can run?

This guy was a big dude. Not a lot of fat, just looked like a weight lifter. This area of the trail was wonderful and possibly lasted a mile or so. It was at this point that I was seeing more runnable trail. Then it was back onto the single track. At first it was rather plush but when we dropped down the side of the Mountain the footing became very sketchy again. That was when I rolled my ankle. I think I landed on a rock that rolled. I went down and didn't really even feel my ankle roll. As soon as I was on the ground I knew my day was over. At that point I was about 1 1/4 miles from the next aid station. The footing was so bad at that point that anything I stepped on shifted slightly. It took me over a hour to go one mile, then I caught a ride to the aid station. All of the other runners that passed me were great with offering help. They left the AS know and someone came out to make sure I would be able to get back in. Overall it's not as bad as most times I've rolled a ankle but with the bad footing on the trails there was no way I was going to be able to finish. After I got back to the start/finish line some of the lead runners were coming in. It was kind of frustrating to watch.

Overall I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked to be but things were going well. I was able to climb with no problem. Fueling and hydration was going well and my stomach was behaving. If I would have just walked 10 yards more instead of starting a slow jog I might have finished the race. If I do this race next year I will use trekking poles.

moonlightrunner

So sorry about the ankle...I hope it heals fast.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Wow, sorry to hear about your ankle.  Hope it's minor and heals quickly.  Gotta love our PA rocks.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Sorry about the ankle DayDreamer....thanks fir the pictures...looks beautiful, would live to run in those lush woods.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Sorry to hear about the injury.  But it sounds like you made the right choice.  You'll get it next time.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hope the ankle doesn't keep you out to long. That's one of the reasons I gave up trail running many years ago, and still have a certain reluctance to run trails now. I'm capable of tripping on a painted line on the roads.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

muppy

It sounds like it was fun while it lasted, that really sucks about your ankle hope it heals up fast for you!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope it will heal up soon!

I briefly looked out for you the day before at packet pickup, and at the start of the 100M, but could not see you, so I assumed you would drive to the run in the morning.

The trails of the Wilds Marathon are the first 17 miles of Eastern States, and this section almost made me want to drop.

Thanks for the pictures! We could not enjoy the vistas, as at first, it was pitch black dark, and then it was all fog.

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

I was indeed out on the course. Sorry to hear about your drop, on the other hand, the course just kept getting more and more absurd as the day went on. Signed up for a marathon... ran a 50k. But worth every painful minute of it.

NorthernHarrier

Looks like a beautiful, challenging course. I guess you now have some unfinished business. More motivation, LOL!

Sucks about your ankle, besides the immediate frustration is that now it will be more susceptible for more rolls until enough time can help. It was maybe 6-7 years ago I had a bad one and would just keep aggravating it. Finally healed and I don't think I have rolled it since.

That runner walking--my saying in an ultra was run when you can, walk when you have to.   I have seen some people who just make a schedule of taking a walk break every so many minutes regardless of topography or conditions. Pretty regimented. Not saying he was, maybe just needed a break I'm guessing.

Anyway, good effort.  Nice long training run.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Sorry to hear about the ankle.  The rest of the pic's and accounts sounded great!  Hoping for a speedy recovery!

**Ask me about streaking**

runtraildc

Thanks for the photos and RR!  Sorry to hear about your ankle; I hope it heals quickly.  Sounds as if it was good going until then.  Well, there's always next year!