Trailer Trash

Running in the Texas Night - an RR story. (Read 15 times)

Sandy-2

Capt’n Karl’s night Trail Series - Pedernales Falls

There is a series of these nighttime 60k, 30k, 10k runs in the Austin area. I guess the thinking is that at least the direct sun can be avoided, ‘cause it’s still warm and humid no matter what time it is around here.

Team Horn was signed up; Dad and DD in the 30k and DS in the 10k. DS does a few 3 and 4 mi training runs from time-to-time and figured he tag along for the fun. It would be his first trail run, and his longest run.

We got to the start after the 3.5 hr drive with about an hour to spare.  Checked in, got our numbers, folded them up, pinned them on, gave my DS info on how to work the headlamp, etc, etc. 60k’ers started at 7pm, 30s at 7.30 and 10s at 8. DS waved to DD and I as we left. All runs are loops that S/F in the same place.  It was 95deg. Although there was a nice breeze, it still felt very warm.

The trail is a mixed bag, some dirt, lots of rocks, flat rock type stuff, a little bit of double track, lots of short ups and downs.  Typical Texas hill country stuff.  Very little open fields and lots of scrub trees and some deep wooded parts.  The buttes that we hit as the sun was setting were beautiful. After dark when we were on the tops you could see lights off in the distance and some of the aid stations a few miles away.  It was a really nice night to be running.  I ran without a shirt the whole way, and was dripping the whole way. The max distance between aid stations was 4.75 mi so I just had a handheld and a handful of gels and s-caps with me.

I was trying with maybe a little success to keep my DD from going out too fast. Eventually we walked for a bit and reset the pace to a comfortable effort. Soon it got dark. Down in the little valleys and in the among the trees in the stagnant air it was really muggy and warm.  The footing was pretty tricky for most of the way.

Just before the 2nd aid station my DD said she was not feeling great and that she really really wanted me to go ahead. She might even drop.  She even pulled over and had a barffing session to emphasize the point.

So at the 8.75mi point I left my DD sitting on a chair in the middle of the woods and in the middle of the night. She’s a big girl though. And she ‘firmly’ told me to keep going as only a very headstrong ultra runner can do (and I might add as a daughter can do as well, parents will recognize this, she’s my kid after all).  I still felt like a dick. But I knew that the she was right near the park road that went by this unmanned water stop.

So after my slow start with my DD, and after getting over all my second and third guessing myself I actually started feeling great and passed lots and lots of people on the 2nd half of the run. I figured that if my DD got a ride to the S/F they’d both be waiting for me so I better move it.

Having just the handheld was perfect, filled it with ice at each stop and topped it with water, never ran out but also drank the whole think between. I came upon a runner on the ground who was cramping and looking pale there were 4 or 5 other runners around him. Offered s-caps and poured a little ice water on his far head. There was another person on the phone talking with the RD.  After a bit the guy on the phone said y’all may as well get going, I’ll stay with him, so the small crowd dispersed down the trail. Later I heard they evac’d him.

When I finished my DS was waiting, and asked ‘where’s Devan’?  Oh crap...

We sat for a minute doing the math, looking over the maps, etc. but in the end we’d see if she’d show up... either in a car or coming down the trail. It was an anxious time sitting there in the dark with the 30k and 60k runners trickling in. An hour later I told my DS that I thought I heard his sister’s voice, he said probably not since he’d heard similar a few time in the last hour.  But ...

A minute later there she was trotting slowly towards the finish, with a group of 4 or 5 other runners in tow.  After hugs at the finish line she said ‘I couldn’t DNF a 30k...’.   Some of the ladies in the group thanked her for keeping them going, which was nice to hear. Proud Papa noted that she had come back from the bad patch.

So a successful effort by Team Horn since my DS also finished in great form, he had vowed not to walk and didn’t, finishing in 1:15. He really liked it and wants to know when we are doing the next trail run!!! I finished in 4:33 and DD finished in 5:25.

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Fun times with the kids. Coll that "DS "got the bug" and wants more.

Can't believe you left your dying daughter by the side of a trail in the middle of nowhere...oh wait, yes I can, your'e right, any woman who can ride wild horses in Mongolia is fine by herself.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job...how fun!!  and ummm  we should have more post of half naked young guys on here!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Nice RR and always special to share such experiences with your kids!  Although a race in Texas in summer?!?!?  Guess there's not many alternatives in that neck of the woods.  Glad DS enjoyed the experience and DD gutted it out to the finish (no pun intended).  Shows they got stubbornness moxie from their old man. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nicely done all!  She certainly has grit, from her Mom right? 

Tough running in that heat, although I’m sure no beating sun helps a little.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Well done on the family night run. Gotta' admit hearing about the evac and then your daughter out there must have been a bit nerve wracking, but then again she has quite a bit of experience in this sort of craziness. 95+ at night is nuts... reminds me of when I lived in the hi desert of CA. best to be a night owl back in those days.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Awesome job my man!  Having done a few event thingies with my daughter I certainly feel your pride. Here's my question--once you are retired are you gonna be moving to a more civilized climate or is Texas now your real home? Just curious.  I just can't imagine living in that relentless heat and humidity.

95 degrees at night!  Holy hell, I'd die in TX.

Very cool that you could experience it with your kids.  And sounds like everyone had a good race at the end of the day.

Thanks for the RR!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LB2

That is great, Sandy. You're a great dad. You are looking very lean; I expect a course record at The Bear!! It should be fun.

LB2

moonlightrunner

What a fun time! You are a tough family to overcome such heat in good form!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k