Trailer Trash

Hood River, OR - suggestions? (Read 20 times)

Hip Redux

It looks like I'll be in Hood River, Oregon for a week for work, and I'll need to get out for runs while I'm there.   I would like to find some trails but haven't a clue what I'm looking at in terms of difficulty, elevation, how likely I am to get lost etc.  Strava heatmaps were only somewhat helpful....

Has anyone been out that way?  Any good spots to run?  I'll even take dirt roads if logistically that's easier to navigate, I'd just like to avoid pavement if I can.  I will have a car as well.

TIA!!

AT-runner

Tim

It looks like I'll be in Hood River, Oregon for a week for work, and I'll need to get out for runs while I'm there.   I would like to find some trails but haven't a clue what I'm looking at in terms of difficulty, elevation, how likely I am to get lost etc.  Strava heatmaps were only somewhat helpful....

Has anyone been out that way?  Any good spots to run?  I'll even take dirt roads if logistically that's easier to navigate, I'd just like to avoid pavement if I can.  I will have a car as well.

TIA!!

My daughter lives in Portland and goes to Hood River often. We've visited there several times and have run.   pFriem Family Brewers and Full Sail Brewery are there. Kyle, the brewmaster at pFreim is a good friend of my daughter.  Stop in both of those for awesome beers.

Oh yea, running. Tons of options. Some are a drive, but worth it.

Dog Mountain Trail is just across the river in WA.  Awesome trail with a good climb up to the top of the mountain.  More of a power hike than a run for most of the uphill, but always beautiful, especially if the wild flowers are blooming, and a nice run back down.

Mirror Lake - a bit of a drive, to Government Camp, OR, by well worth seeing and you'll get a nice view of Mt Hood.

The cream of the crop is Gorge Trail #400.  You'll run past numerous water falls and it's nice and rolling and mostly runnable. Go there during the week, because it can get packed neat Multnomah Falls and

Multmomah Falls

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Hip Redux

Oooooh, thank you AT!!

I think trails around Multnomah Falls have been closed since the Eagle Creek Fire last year?

https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge/trail-alerts.html

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Hip Redux

I think trails around Multnomah Falls have been closed since the Eagle Creek Fire last year?

Yeah, I went poking around a bit and many of the Eagle Creek trails are closed.  But it looks like Gorge #400 is open and you can still see the Multnomah Falls from one view point.

AT-runner

Tim

We drove by after the fire last September. Very upsetting to see how much burned.  Luckily, the fires skipped over Multnomah .Bridal Veil Falls (our favorite) was also untouched and worth seeing, but not a long trail there, only 1/4 mile hike to see it.

The trail above the Multnomah Bridge are closed, but still a lot of open trails along the roadway, and my daughter says she believes Gorge #400 is open but has been very busy because of other closures.

Here's a list of what is open. 

Hip Redux

What is up with the 105 degree temps for Oregon this coming week!  That's not what I want to run in. lol

What is up with the 105 degree temps for Oregon this coming week!  That's not what I want to run in. lol

Yikes.  At least you should be able to find some shade?  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Hip Redux

Other than the ten hour work days, I had a FANTASTIC time in Oregon.  Holy cow, so beautiful!!  Thanks for the suggestions!

AT-runner

Tim

Other than the ten hour work days, I had a FANTASTIC time in Oregon.  Holy cow, so beautiful!!  Thanks for the suggestions!

Pictures, please!  Glad you enjoyed it.  Won't be there until the late fall (maybe) to see DD#1.  Usually go 1-2 times a year, and we see new things every time.

Hip Redux

Ask and you shall receive!

View from Mosier Plateau

This is along the PCT near Herman's Creek (I started at the Bridge of the Gods/Gorge Trail #400, went to Dry Creek Falls and then along the PCT To Herman's Creek trailhead...).