Trailer Trash

Hangover Monday??? (Read 20 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wondering where everyone is? Weekend hangover maybe? or just busy at work?

No run yesterday.  Something likely short tonight.  Will not have a lot of time this week to run - or at least not until the weekend.

QOTD: Do you have any cool gadgets or do you have your eye on any cool gadgets?

I just saw an advertisement for a hydraulic pop up tent.  It sets up in seconds.  I was close to buying but then realized how little I camp.  It's really cool though.  It's not a bad price either.  Speaking of tents, I like the thingy that rides on top of your car that folds out into a tent.  I forget what it's called.  I would love to drive the country and just camp under the stars each night.  Oh, a boy can dream I guess.  (Back to reality!! )

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Taking a 2nd SRD today.  Trying to get the quad issue to go away.  So the list of "issues" I've dealt with the last 2 months are: right lower back spasms, right hip pain, left hamstring strain, and now left quad issue (just above the knee).  All this while I've been trying to ramp up the mileage. I think the hot/cold whirl pools at the gym have been saving my ass.  As soon as one thing would go away the next one popped up.  WTF???  I guess I'm just getting too old.

Dr. Jamie - glad to hear you survived the summer run, welcome to the heat.  Just hope you fared better than I have been (see above).

qotd: I don't think I have any gadgets. But if I was going to get one for camping I'd get a Jetboil.....  coffee = good.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today. still pretty steamy here. Think I had a tough of heat exhaustion from Saturday's long run.  Kept getting racing HR yesterday and had some weird cramping after our run and I did a really easy one yesterday.

I've seen many variations of this, but they all usually say the same thing.

That would make my run on Saturday a no-go.  I ran the first 10 miles in 1:35 (which felt like an easy pace at the time) and the last 10 in 2:05 (which felt like it was way too fast at the time).  According to the chart, I should have run 12:30 minute miles for the first 10 miles, and then quit as temps went up.

QOTD: Just bought a new pack. Nathan VaporKrar 12L.  Love it so far,a nd will be prefect for our CO trip. Got DW the ladies version (VaporHowe) for her BD, and she said it's the first pack she's had that felt great on the first run with it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

(DW and Tiny Elvis) spent the weekend backpacking in the Crazy Mountains. Always drop dead gorgeous. The lake we camped at was still 2/3’s frozen!

strength train this evening is the plan

qotd: my inReach is pretty cool- fully capable gps with mapping, but more importantly a two way satellite communicator- they make a Mini version now (no gps) that WiFi connects with your phone to two way text

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

No run for me today, just planet of fitness routine at lunch. As mentioned yesterday's run was a complete soaker, caught in an unexpected (didn't check the radar) thunderstorm. I'd put that run in my top10 or likely top5 of drenching runs. It was sort of fun, but thankfully I was in a tunnel of trees for the lightning late in the storm.

Evening plans, mow the yard, power dive in pool to cool off, sip a beer or two on the back deck.

QOTD: Best gadget I have is the automated pool cleaner, oh, and the computer control in my house that let's me turn on all the equipment. Hit a button, clean the pool.  Big grin

AT - I call BS on interpreting that chart too literally. My 5k PR for example was run in 75-80 with humidity. No way should I have went sub15! Plus my marathon PR was right about 70 degrees, but no humidity factor. But yeah heat and humidity can drag you down for sure.

Sandy - Sorry about the aches. It seems all I do is run with aches these days but it beats the alternative. The cold whirlpool sounds awesome.

Warden - Great photos as usual. TinyE hiked the whole thing? He is a stud.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

AT - I call BS on interpreting that chart too literally. My 5k PR for example was run in 75-80 with humidity. No way should I have went sub15! Plus my marathon PR was right about 70 degrees, but no humidity factor. But yeah heat and humidity can drag you down for sure.

100 % agree. It pops up from time to time, and it usually has running "Not Recommended" over 85 degrees. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

Hi all, no run today but had a good weekend with 11 on Friday, 14 on Saturday, and 10 on Sunday. The deer flies kept me at a honest 9 minute pace. Although I came to the conclusion that most deer flies can Only fly at a 9 minute pace, two out of every ten can fly around a 8:30 pace. I would bitch about the heat and humidity but I think we already beat that dog to death.

QOtD: been thinking about a mt bike. But then again I really want a kayak. But I could ride the bike to work. Fishing in a kayak sounds like fun. I want to do a few bike races. Well you see my dilemma

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

XT- he did, but wasn’t too long for the tent that evening 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Definitely weekend hangover for me. A day off, and I’m enjoying it.

4 miles on one of my favorite trails way out in the woods. 15 miles on dirt road to get there. That’s why the “unlimited” car wash pass is always high priority on my birthday wish list. 

Used my super ultra cool gadget today, as I have not run there in 3 years and was not confident finding my way around. There were many fallen trees blocking the trail, but I was able to step over or squeeze myself through them. This is a really easy trail for this area, but it’s name certainly nails it: Long Mountain Trail. Miles and miles of uphill.

Jamie: camp s’more! Coming from my yurt experience, and my love for road trips, I also think this tent-add on would be great for traveling the country.

Sandy:You’re not getting old, your body is just always looking for new reasons to keep enjoying the whirl tubs!

AT: I just checked, I thought it was a bit warm on my run today : 88 degrees with a heat index of 92-96. Oops...

warden: great pictures! You all are awesome mountain hikers!

XT: Sounds like a nice evening, beer and all, have fun!

gator: great miles. Deer flies can outfly you, I read somewhere they can reach up to 60 mph. But not in the woods 

QOTD: Yes, I have some ultra cool gadgets to help me find my way around where I am not sure about the trail. Just got a new one when the boys and I were on camping/hiking vacation up in northern PA. They are called paper maps.   Coolest thing ever. And this is why I need them:

That is  also why I don’t even bother to take the phone with me on a run!

Run for fun.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

warden - Holy Cow, you still have snow!  Great pics.

AT - I can never dial in any heat-adjusted pace.  I just go with the flow nowadays.

FTYC - Paper maps?  Sounds extra fancy to me. 

3.1 on the beach this morning barefoot.  This could be a problem.... will I become a barefoot runner???  Form looks good, but my pace was pretty slow....

QOTD:  I was playing with my new GoPro DW gave me while snorkeling.  I'll have to upload to YouTube.... saw some really nice fish.

MTA:  I got bit by a freaking iguana and bled half the afternoon, while feeding it french fries.  Damn french iguanas.  I'll give em a freedom knuckle sandwich next.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

NorthernHarrier

Yesterday was a good effort on a hilly 13 miler. With enough deet  I managed to keep the flying pests' at somewhat of a tolerable distance. Today was 2 different mountain biking sessions. Nothing too intense, just an extra trail fix. Our weather has dramatically improved. 70s and low humidity with a north wind. Nice.

My thoughts on those tent contraptions-- an awful lot of money for a gimmick. I have several tents I can set up anywhere with the smallest of footprints and if I want to go somewhere I don't have to take it all down. I've spent my entire life camping and I just don't get those. Yes, they get a lot of curiosity lookers but just not real practical. I can drive the country and camp anywhere without spending a ton and leave it set up if I want to do something or go somewhere. or like Warden, you can sleep in the back of your pickup.  You can buy a decent tent for a couple hundred bucks vs. several hundred for those things.

George-- nice story on your interaction with the artist.

QOTD--A couple weeks ago the operator of my mtn. biking venue had some Specialized mt. bikes that were E-powered. Rode one around for a bit and man, it was pretty cool. Kind of defeats the purpose but real cool nonetheless. No, not on my wish list.

GC100k

My thoughts on those tent contraptions-- an awful lot of money for a gimmick. I have several tents I can set up anywhere with the smallest of footprints and if I want to go somewhere I don't have to take it all down. I've spent my entire life camping and I just don't get those. Yes, they get a lot of curiosity lookers but just not real practical. I can drive the country and camp anywhere without spending a ton and leave it set up if I want to do something or go somewhere. or like Warden, you can sleep in the back of your pickup.  You can buy a decent tent for a couple hundred bucks vs. several hundred for those things.

Camped with the family this past weekend. We had two tents for which we spent a total of fifty dollars. One from Target, one from Walmart. They're both at least 10 years old.

Ten years ago I bought a bunch of the Target tents and brought those to Belize where we took students out in the jungle in a national park every summer. They worked great and take about 2 minutes to set up. So they're 6 lbs compared to whatever an ultralight tent is, but what's that compared to my 270 lbs? And the students hardly notice if you stick one in their packs. The local Belize guys had canvas packs with heavy rolls of plastic for tent making and full-size heavy pots and pans and they spent months at a time in the jungle. We left the tents with the park and said they could use them during the year as long as we had them for the students each summer.

Edit: just googled it and a hydraulic pop up tent is $50:

https://www.amazon.com/Cheryu-Automatic-Waterproof-Backpacking-Rainproof/dp/B07D7RWR1T/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_lp_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=ZNQJMJ5WAGYWYP8JGWB8

LB2

I ran on Monday, but I was super busy at work and barely had time to check email, much less post in the daily here.

QOTD: The only "gadget" I have bought lately was a True Glo reticle site for my shotgun. It is probably the best gadget I have ever purchased. I tend to lift my cheek from the stock of the shotgun when a turkey comes in, which causes me, sometimes, to shoot right over the top of his head. This scope fixed that; turkeys hate it.

I haven't bought a tent in several years, but the one I have is a 25 dollar thing from Academy or Walmart. I can't remember. It works fine for what I do. I may spend more if I was camping a lot at altitude, but a week in the woods during the spring is about all I do.

LB2