Trailer Trash

Trail shoes. (Read 76 times)

Snowdenrun

I'm in the market. And I'm clueless.

Since my NB WT1010's completely fell apart I've been running in my Brooks Pure Drifts. I like the Drifts in general, but they are not suitable for trails. There are so many shoes out there I don't even know where to begin! I don't have the opportunity to go to a LRS and try stuff on, so I'll be shopping from the internet.

I tend to like the more neutral stuff..I think. Smile Mainly I'm looking for something that doesn't fall apart quickly. The only "weird" thing about my feet is that I have bunions. And the first hole I get in shoes is always at the big toe joint. I also need something that does well on wet roots, rocks, in the mud.. ect...

What do you wear? Do you like them? Any thoughts?

Watoni

Women's La Sportiva Helios? I like the men's version a lot. Neutral, good protection and durable (I got about 350 trail miles out of my Vertical Ks, which are like the Helios but without the 2mm plate and use a softer rubber).

You could also try Pearl Izumi N1 or N2s .... I like my Salomons but the upper is wearing after about 250 miles ...

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

As far as I can tell, the inov8 245 is the closest thing on the market to the NB1010.  Pretty sure I have researched this exhaustively.

**Ask me about streaking**

Misty

If you like the PureDrifts maybe you would like the PureGrits. My road shoes are PureCadence and PureConnect (I'm obviously very pure!) but for the trails I am in LOVE with my Saucony Peregrines.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Daydreamer1

The three main shoes that I've used were Brooks Cascadia, Hoka Mafates and NB 1210.

The Cascadias would do fairly well in the wet roots, rocks and mud category, but are a bit narrow in the toe box which would cause some problems for you.

The Hokas have a nice wide toe box but I question how well they would do in the mud and wet conditions. I don't use mine if it's quite muddy and they don't drain quite as well as I would like.

So that leaves the NB 1210s. They seem to drain well, do OK in wet conditions, and have a wider toe box. So far they are holding up Ok for me but I only have about 100 miles on them. But those miles are tough miles. You may want to take a look at these. They are a new shoe that was designed for ultra running. There are several videos on the internet about them.

Of course you could always hop on the state ferry and check out the stores in Washington and Anchorage Cool.   Then you would have to post a lot of pictures from the trip and that would just stimulate my daydreaming more Big grin.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

+1 on DD1's comment on the narrow toe box of the Cascadias, especially in the area of the ball of the foot.

Pure Grit 1's are terrible in wet conditions, so if you consider them, make sure they are the newest model. In my opinion, they have a narrow toe box, too.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yeah, the Cascadias felt really narrow to me too when I tired them on a few years ago.

For a neutral shoe, I still like my La Sportiva Wildcats.  Very roomy.  Do they still make those?  I just looked at running warehouse and didn't see them.

Running is dumb.

Watoni

Yeah, the Cascadias felt really narrow to me too when I tired them on a few years ago.

For a neutral shoe, I still like my La Sportiva Wildcats.  Very roomy.  Do they still make those?  I just looked at running warehouse and didn't see them.

They still make the Wildcat 2.0 and the Ultra Raptor in women's versions. They have a bit more drop and protection than the Helios, and are a bit heavier than the other shoes mentioned. I have been looking to try the Ultra Raptor ...

Snowdenrun

Thanks for the replys! This gives me a good place to start looking. Last time I bought shoes I researched it so much I hated looking at shoes. Finally bought them and they sucked. Found another pair and the sizing sucked. Shoes get really expensive when you have to pay shipping multiple times.

Jamezilla- Did you get the inov 8's? Seems like we seem to like the same sort of shoe.

ImaRunnah- I really do like the pure drifts for the road. But they are wearing quickly now that I've been beating them up on the trails. I'll have to look into the Saucony Peregrines. I've heard even the pure grit 2's still aren't that great in wet conditions. 

DD- Poor mans cruise! If you don't want to pay for a state room you can pitch a tent on the deck. I'll call my picture album "The ultimate quest for trashy trail shoes." I'll look into the NB 1210's. 

Watoni- I've never thought of La Sportivia's, I'll give them a look. 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'll 2nd or 3rd the the NB 1210s.  Good shoes and they run a little wide in the which fits me perfectly.  My only concern is durability.  I've put ~100 miles on mine and they're looking a little ragged already granted the miles are are technical rocky trails so there's that.

You people have issues 

Trail Monster

I love Altra Superiors. The grip, removable rock guard, and wide toe box all rock!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Daydreamer1

DD- Poor mans cruise! If you don't want to pay for a state room you can pitch a tent on the deck. I'll call my picture album "The ultimate quest for trashy trail shoes." I'll look into the NB 1210's. 

I would really love to explore the inside passage. I have absolutely no desire to do one of the large cruises. I would possibly do one of the small cruise boats that only take about 200 people but they are expensive and still hold to a rigid schedule. I would love to park a vehicle at the north end of the passage, fly down to Washington then get the ferry and just hop on and off as I felt like it. When we were in Skagway 10 years ago I talked to some people who had did that and had a blast. But alas I think this will most likely remain a dream for me, at least in the short term.

Snowdenrun

I love Altra Superiors. The grip, removable rock guard, and wide toe box all rock!

I like the looks of these. Does sizing seem accurate?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I haven't sprung for them yet (haven't run trails in over 30 days Undecided), but that's what I'm going to get.  My game plan is to buy the inov8's then send both of my pairs back (NB already agreed to replace them...just need to box and ship them), but I'm trying to wait out the release of the NB1010v2.  It sucks that the current version is such garbage durability wise...there's nothing else I dislike about them.

**Ask me about streaking**

Snowdenrun

I haven't sprung for them yet (haven't run trails in over 30 days Undecided), but that's what I'm going to get.  My game plan is to buy the inov8's then send both of my pairs back (NB already agreed to replace them...just need to box and ship them), but I'm trying to wait out the release of the NB1010v2.  It sucks that the current version is such garbage durability wise...there's nothing else I dislike about them.

That's my plan too! And it makes a great excuse  reason to get another pair now!