Trailer Trash

24 Hour Run Suggestions (Read 32 times)

Messenjah

I did a 12 hour race last year and honestly had a great time...aside for the stupid decision to wear some really old shoes for the last 30 miles of my 57 miles. I am contemplating the 24 hour run this year and want some suggestions on footwear and nutrition.

This is all on paved bike path and on a 1.9 mile loop. Almost completely flat except for two little "hills" that shouldn't really classify as hills. I currently wear the Merrell Mixmaster 2's and am good in them for about 25-30 miles on the road. I haven't explored them outside of that and don't know if I want to try taking them much farther than that. I can't believe I am even going to ask this, but would the Hoka's be the best option?

On the nutrition side, I did a 100k this past spring and was good on gels and some random aid station food for the first 10 hours or so but really had a hard time eating near the end (4+hours). Since the 24 hour race is self supported and there is not going to be your typical aid station fare, wondering peoples thoughts on things that I should bring.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Depends...is the RWOL/RA crew going to be there again?  If so, you won't need to bring a thing.  Hehe.

FYI - the RD said there would be hot water to make soup and I had to be a nag about it last year and it took a long time for him to comply.  (Shari really wanted something warm.)  So if you're counting on something warm, you might need to be more self reliant.  And if it's as cold this year as it was last year...you're going to want something warm.  (Frozen Snickers are hard to bite into!)

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think as it gets colder in the nights now, and after running for a long time in sweaty, damp clothes, you might want something warm for the night. I'd take a (very well insulated) thermos can with hot water, and some ramen or noodle soup mix (there are even organic ones, if you care for that).

I find that after 10 hours, I'm ready for some salty, savory type of food, not just the sugary stuff.

I usually take a protein drink (proasis) every 15 or 20 miles, I find that this helps me better than just gels, or even perpetuem (this has too much fat for me, so I can drink only a limited amount of it before I get nauseated). The proasis drinks are easy to carry in a pack or drop bag, as they come in small, unbreakable containers (something like 2.5 oz or so). But Ensure, or something similar, might also work - IF you want to have some protein (see the "Tailwind" discussion).

It looks like you'll have access to a drop bag, or your car during the race? Then you may also consider getting one of those coolers that plug into your car's outlets, and pack sandwiches (like roast beef, or turkey). Or have a big cooler with ice in your car to keep sandwiches cold. Maybe wraps (if you wrap them in wax paper and a ziplock bag, you can take them "to go" during the night).

I'd go with my road shoes, and have a second or third pair in the car to change if things get ugly. How much time do you have to try out new shoes, and test them on long runs?

Run for fun.

Trail Monster

For NC24 in April I wore Altra Torins the whole time. I changed my socks every 20-25 miles and that was a huge help.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Messenjah

DOES THIS MEAN YOU ARE COMING BACK?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Depends...is the RWOL/RA crew going to be there again?  If so, you won't need to bring a thing.  Hehe.

FYI - the RD said there would be hot water to make soup and I had to be a nag about it last year and it took a long time for him to comply.  (Shari really wanted something warm.)  So if you're counting on something warm, you might need to be more self reliant.  And if it's as cold this year as it was last year...you're going to want something warm.  (Frozen Snickers are hard to bite into!)

Messenjah

Did you wear the one pair of shoes the whole time or several pairs of the Torins?

For NC24 in April I wore Altra Torins the whole time. I changed my socks every 20-25 miles and that was a huge help.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

DOES THIS MEAN YOU ARE COMING BACK?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Doubtful.  Sad  It's a far drive just to crew, and last year I only had to drive as far as Shari's and she drove from there.  I think a lot of the others were talking about running again though!

Running is dumb.

Messenjah

Who said that you would come this far to crew? Remember that Eric walked a majority of it because of his shoulder problems last year Wink

Plus, there are 2 new breweries just a few blocks from the lake so you could always "numb" the pain. That's what I plan on doing around 4am or so Smile

Doubtful.  Sad  It's a far drive just to crew, and last year I only had to drive as far as Shari's and she drove from there.  I think a lot of the others were talking about running again though!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

LOL.  Dude, I can't even take my dog for a walk these days without pain.  If the RD lets me bike the course, I'm in.  Joking

Running is dumb.

Trail Monster

Did you wear the one pair of shoes the whole time or several pairs of the Torins?

Same pair, never changed. I went through 3 pairs of socks if I remember correctly. I actually wouldn't have changed shoes at BR100 either except the first 26 miles are road and the remainder is trail so I went from Torins to Superiors and then switched into a clean pair of Superiors after all the muddy sections. As long as your shoes aren't causing issues there should be no need to change. Changing socks helps because you can clean the tiny grit that makes it through to your feet off and eliminate potential chafing/blistering plus they just feel soft and cushy. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Messenjah

How about rollerblading  Big grin

LOL.  Dude, I can't even take my dog for a walk these days without pain.  If the RD lets me bike the course, I'm in.  Joking