Trailer Trash

Western States RR (Read 50 times)

Occasional Runner

As you're probably aware, this race didn't go as planned for me, but I got it done. Here are the disturbing details...

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.com/2015/07/2015-western-states-100-my-back-of-pack.html

Thanks for checking it out.

AT-runner

Tim

Sounds like you got everything out of your body that the day would allow. Sucks about the heat, am I right there with you, I hate the heat.  As time goes on, I'm sure you'll see some positives from the race.  What was the biggest motivator to not DNF, the Grand Slam or defending your Beer Mile title?  Good luck with the recovery.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Again, congrats on cranking out this finish!

I hear you on the heat and "endless" distance to the finish line (especially at the end). And worst thing of all is when those three letters, "DNF", start to take a front row seat in your effort to assess the situation. Been there, done that, and it's nasty. way to push through!

hope you'll recover quickly from this one!

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

Sounds like you got everything out of your body that the day would allow. Sucks about the heat, am I right there with you, I hate the heat.  As time goes on, I'm sure you'll see some positives from the race.  What was the biggest motivator to not DNF, the Grand Slam or defending your Beer Mile title?  Good luck with the recovery.

Definitely the beer mile title. I plan to be the first person to ever complete the Royal Grand Slam. Naturally, that'll lead to a book deal and then I can drink for free forever. Life goal complete!

some call me Tim

Holy crap, waiting for ice to melt so you can get water while going through canyons?! You're a stronger man than I, Gunga Din. Well done. It takes a certain kind of person to make a new plan and push on even when everything goes wrong.

Congrats on the beer mile, too!

Sandy-2

"For a downhill course, there's way too much climbing."

Yup, I'll second that.

Congratulations !!!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This was painful to read.  I cannot imagine the feeling in the canyons of not being able to get a full mouthful of water.  Following you on the WS tracking site, it became obvious that you were struggling although we didn't necessarily know why.

I saw the video Jo posted on FB of you finishing.  The two guys in front of you were smiling and arms raised.  Your facial expression was obvious that it wasn't close to what you expected.  But I do hope you get another crack at it.

Congrats on keeping your GS hopes alive.

Thanks for posting.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

I was following your progress and figured the heat was beating you up pretty bad. Glad you finished and hope you recover quickly to have a good showing at the rest of the races.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

You have the buckle and you definitely earned it!  I can sympathize with your aversion with heat, I'm a p#$$¥ in the heat!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dpc3

Nice work on pushing your way through the course.

I look forward to reading the soon to be released " how to train for a beer mile" book!

Congrats again and good luck in Vermont.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I knew you were having a tough time when I saw your splits while tracking you. I had no idea it was so bad, though. I've also read a report from another WS finisher who was paced by bhearn. I can empathize with you because the heat has been my downfall in several of the ultras I've run. At least I had only 50K to deal with and not 100M. Hope the conditions and races for the rest of the Grand Slam are better. I can't imagine them being any worse.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Just found this... I don't normally hang out here.

Congrats on finishing, Kelly. Lots of people had a very tough day, tougher than would be suggested just by the slightly warmer than typical temperatures. I think the killer was the humidity -- not enough to make itself really felt as such, but normally WSER is very dry, and just a little humidity makes a huge difference. Old hands who know exactly what they're doing there were in bad shape.

Here's a pic I took of you coming up the escarpment.

MTA by the way... the good thing about missing sub-24 in your first Western States is that you can go back, and then have one of each kind of buckle. This is a course you learn a lot from your first time.