Trailer Trash

The Love Run 13.1 Race Report (Read 25 times)

Yes ANOTHER road race. Luckily I have an awesome trail 10k coming up this weekend!

http://trailsandcocktails.com/2014/03/31/the-love-run-13-1-race-report/

Addendum to the race report -- Good race but I don't think I like half marathons (on the road, anyway.) The effort is SO HARD for 13.1 miles. Or maybe I'm just a lazy trail runner. 

Occasional Runner

Congratulations on the PR and the burrito.

I can't believe that Philly is adding another race in the city. I guess there's demand and availability, though.

Good luck on the 10k.

Birdwell

PR's are always nice!

Good work in less than ideal conditions.

So, random question time.

Do you guys with blogs like it when complete strangers (like me) comment on the blog posts?

There are times I'd like to comment, but I always feel a little awkward as most people don't know my real name and wouldn't know who I was (it's definitely a me problem)

More importantly, do your sponsors like to see comments on the blogs? or do they just care about total views?

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, T&C.  I ran yesterday, and the conditions were brutal.  The wind kept blowing rain in my eyes and it was cold.  Way to go on PR in crappy conditions.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

PR's are always nice!

Do you guys with blogs like it when complete strangers (like me) comment on the blog posts?

There are times I'd like to comment, but I always feel a little awkward as most people don't know my real name and wouldn't know who I was (it's definitely a me problem)

More importantly, do your sponsors like to see comments on the blogs? or do they just care about total views?

Good question.

I always like to see comments on my blog, especially if they are newer runners.  It's nice to get them, but I don't write for the comments by any means. There are a lot of bloggers out there who go crazy commenting on other people's blogs to try and get reciprocal comments on their blog, but I just don't see the point in that.

Personally, it seems that the number of comments doesn't have much to do with my sponsors, since I don't get that many comments.  Then again, my sponsors really just give me discounted merchandise (30-40%) and some free stuff...not a crazy amount of anything. The Love Run offered me a free bib after I wrote them an email describing the promotion value I would give them.

Side note: I recently received an email from the Spartan Race requesting a blog promotion and free race entry giveaway etc. Sadly, I'm turning them down. I know you guys will all be so disappointed. 

Occasional Runner

PR's are always nice!

I don't want to hijack the thread but I want to address this question, too.

I personally expect strangers to comment on my blog and I appreciate it. It's a sign that my efforts have reached people outside my immediate circle. My sponsors don't really need to watch for comments because there are a lot of other ways to measure my reach into the running community. All you have to do is follow a runner on social media to see what kind of influence they have. It's pretty evident.

The more important metric is the number of times a blog post or even a FB post gets shared or republished in other media. That suggests a solid following.

Also, a blog is only one small piece of the pie, but every comment and page view does help.

Sorry for the hijack.

SheCan

Congratulations on the HM PR!  WTG!   Love the medal and the mug, too.  You really do look strong and determined in that picture.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I don't want to hijack the thread but I want to address this question, too.

I personally expect strangers to comment on my blog and I appreciate it. It's a sign that my efforts have reached people outside my immediate circle. My sponsors don't really need to watch for comments because there are a lot of other ways to measure my reach into the running community. All you have to do is follow a runner on social media to see what kind of influence they have. It's pretty evident.

The more important metric is the number of times a blog post or even a FB post gets shared or republished in other media. That suggests a solid following.

Also, a blog is only one small piece of the pie, but every comment and page view does help.

Sorry for the hijack.

That's definitely true. I think most sponsors care way more about my influence on Twitter vs my blog.  I guess they go hand in hand.

muppy

Nice job T&C, that's a great time in some ugly weather, congratulations! Good luck on your 10K!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes ANOTHER road race. Luckily I have an awesome trail 10k coming up this weekend!

http://trailsandcocktails.com/2014/03/31/the-love-run-13-1-race-report/

Addendum to the race report -- Good race but I don't think I like half marathons (on the road, anyway.) The effort is SO HARD for 13.1 miles. Or maybe I'm just a lazy trail runner

I think you are struggling with your identity.  You need to choose one or the other!

In all seriousness, that is really good.  Weather conditions were not even close to ideal.  With some specific HM training, you could do some real damage.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's dedication and determination to get out to race in that weather. I took one look at the weather and I decided to take an URD. Congrats on the PR and good luck at Tyler. It's been years, but I always enjoyed running there. Maybe there will even be flowers blooming by then.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I think you are struggling with your identity.  You need to choose one or the other!

In all seriousness, that is really good.  Weather conditions were not even close to ideal.  With some specific HM training, you could do some real damage.

I refuse to choose!  Actually, I have enjoyed alternating between road and trail races this year.  If I weren't getting married in September and taking a 2 week honeymoon I'd probably train for another 50M, but knowing my schedule, I signed up for a marathon in December instead.  

The goal was for this to be a HM specific training season, but since that didn't go according to plan I was really just happy for the PR.

Thanks for the kind words, all!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on the fast time! Very well thought out and executed.

I like the HM distance, but I agree, the effort is just so hard!

Run for fun.