Trailer Trash

Don't Fence Me In 30k RR (Read 13 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

This is a race sponsored by the Prickly Pear land trust, and one of their biggest fund raiser. PPLT is responsible for the miles and miles of trails we have locally. They do the maintenance on the trails and every year through easements or out right purchases, add to the existing trails. I can't say enough good about this outfit.

They call it a 30k, but its morphed into a 20 mile race- it's also added elevation over the last couple of years.  As far as 30k/20 milers go, it's challenging. Lots of gain/loss and plenty of technical trail.

A couple of years ago I had hoped to break the 4 hour mark and came up a couple of minutes short; now that they've added distance and elevation, anything close to 4 hours is good for me.

It was a cool morning (low 40's), but was also calling for rain, so I tied my hybrid jacket around my waist just in case. Besides a few light sprinkles, the rain never materialized. Weather was just about perfect. At 7:30 the gun sounded and 180-ish people took off.  The first segment is a long climb to the top of Mt Ascension, the last 1/4 mile tiptoe steep to the top. I passed a fair number of folks on this stretch, but the next long descent got passed by about as many    That was a pattern that repeated itself several times.

My fueling  plan is one "chunk of energy" (health food store stuff) every 30 minutes and an electrolyte every hour. Worked well for the first hour, but lost all of my electrolytes somehow along the trail. Unfortunately the only two aid stations didn't have any, so I drank Heed at the stations and filled my water bottle with it too. I normally just drink water, easier on the go tract for me.

The last long climb (but not the last climb) is always trouble- you're worn down and it saps you physically and mentally, no different this day. When I finally made it to the top of the ridge, you have several miles of decent running. I actually did pretty decent in this stretch, passing a few more than passed me. When I looked at my watch I had envisions of breaking the four hour mark, that was abruptly dashed when I started the last climb, short, but very steep to the top of Mt Helena. The last section is a steep and very technical descent- cramps had set in in my calves, which made it trickier yet. A fall in this stretch would likely result in a trip to the hospital, which I wanted to avert!

I made it across the finish line in 4:09, back of the pack, but 13 minutes faster than the previous year- good enough for me.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Looks like a tough course and you were pretty much spot on with your goals. Did you pass that youngster ahead of you in the photo. It looks like you are about to make him eat your trail dust!  Big grin

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Looks like a pretty cool course. Congratulations.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Just a couple of hills. The bonus miles are free, right?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Took a look at the pictures and the course and just had to run it virtually.  That's all either uphill or downhill.  Looks like a nice course with nice trails.  Don't feel bad about your towards the middle of the back of the pack finish. Being slower means you get more time to see the sights and smell the roses.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks everyone

xt- I passed and got passed probably 30+ times; couldn't keep track who was ahead or behind; there was a young gal in a one piece, very tight, leopard spot leotard  I know for sure I never caught up to her 

at- I'm lucky the RD didn't charge me extra 

dd- yeah I'm used to the back of the pack finishes, should add there were ~ 30 dnfs, I guess it's the kinder/gentler way to not list them???

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job Warden...looks like a beautiful spring day.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The course profile reminds me I have a lot of work to do before I tackle another race out there. Maybe next year since this year is getting pretty full.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Congrats, MT. Looks like really cool trails, and quite a challenge. I'm familiar with

the land trust concept from MA, they managed and maintained a lot of parcels of

land with trails. What's the 'chuck of energy'? I thought you were a Hammer guy.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

danke 

chunks of energy, date based little cubes- I use the cacao goji ones

https://chunksofenergy.com/shop/cacao-goji/

about 30-40 calories/cube; I've had good luck with these, water and electrolytes

I used to use Perpetuem and sometimes Heed, but too many gastric issues; knock on wood none with these cubes

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

I looked at those chunks of energy and the price . Then I did some math and realized that they are actually much cheaper than Hammer Gels. Might just have to order some and see how they work. The biggest downside I can see is that I can't run and eat whereas I can run and suck down a gel.