Trailer Trash

Hyner 50k RR (Read 36 times)

Check it out on Rootsrated.com (link below). Editors took some liberty with the headline, as I originally called it "one of the most difficult 50k's on the east coast". It was fun to write for a larger audience beyond my blog though.

https://rootsrated.com/stories/surviving-a-hot-day-in-the-hills-the-hyner-view-trail-challenge-50k

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it and it brought back the memories of the extra part of the course us 25kers don't do. I may have to consider doing the 50k again next year.   Did you supply the pictures? I think the one from the overlook is the most vivid picture I have seen of that.

"I cursed the race director for designing such a brutal and sadistic course"

Just wait until you come up for the Call of The Wilds Marathon, there is plenty of opportunity to curse him some more.  You are signed up for it aren't you?  Wait a minute...... a  perusal of the registration list doesn't show your name!!!!  Must just have been a oversight on your part and you're planning on signing up in the near future I bet .  Seriously though, that is another great, but very tough race that I'm sure you would enjoy.

runtraildc

Great race report -and congratulations on the new (ish) writing gig!  Thanks for sharing.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job T&C.  Now you'll have to do the  Ironmasters 50K to compare the two.

Congratulations on the writing gig.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Nice job, congratulations!

Hyner is difficult, especially on a warm day. I am surprised that still around 75% of starters finished.

Run for fun.

Thanks for the kind words, all!

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it and it brought back the memories of the extra part of the course us 25kers don't do. I may have to consider doing the 50k again next year.   Did you supply the pictures? I think the one from the overlook is the most vivid picture I have seen of that.

"I cursed the race director for designing such a brutal and sadistic course"

Just wait until you come up for the Call of The Wilds Marathon, there is plenty of opportunity to curse him some more.  You are signed up for it aren't you?  Wait a minute...... a  perusal of the registration list doesn't show your name!!!!  Must just have been a oversight on your part and you're planning on signing up in the near future I bet .  Seriously though, that is another great, but very tough race that I'm sure you would enjoy.

The first pic is the only one I didn't take! Haha. When I got up to the top, there was still a good amount of fog & mist hanging around (see avatar) so we didn't get the full view. Just means I have to go back next year!

You're right, I'm not signed up for Call of the Wilds. I haven't signed up for anything beyond Laurel Highlands because I have a feeling I might need a good long break after that one.  It's also the same weekend as the Philly Folk Festival, which I volunteer at every year and definitely wouldn't miss for a race....no matter how great it is! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Great job on finishing!

Your description was great.  The pictures are great.

And spoken like a true finisher at Hyner, just a few hours after cursing the race, you contemplate the next year.

The weather is the variable that cannot be planned for: my first year, it was cold, rainy and a muddy muddy mess (25k), the next year it was a little chilly but overall good weather for running (50k), and the last time I ran it (2013), it was periodic sun followed by periodic snow (50k).  They have had a couple of high heat years (like this year) so you never know.  Prepare for the hills. Prepare for wet feet.  Prepare for the distance.  Prepare for the rocks.  But don't pay attention to the weather until the day before.

I hope to see you there next year!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Great job on finishing!

Your description was great.  The pictures are great.

And spoken like a true finisher at Hyner, just a few hours after cursing the race, you contemplate the next year.

The weather is the variable that cannot be planned for: my first year, it was cold, rainy and a muddy muddy mess (25k), the next year it was a little chilly but overall good weather for running (50k), and the last time I ran it (2013), it was periodic sun followed by periodic snow (50k).  They have had a couple of high heat years (like this year) so you never know.  Prepare for the hills. Prepare for wet feet.  Prepare for the distance.  Prepare for the rocks.  But don't pay attention to the weather until the day before.

I hope to see you there next year!

You will! Not sure which distance I'll run yet, but we had such a great weekend. One of the highlights was the cabin (ok, house) we stayed in on the Pine Creek near Wellsboro and I will definitely be staying there again!

Watoni

Congratulations!

All my running is vicarious for now, so thankful for a good read Wink