Trailer Trash

Jackson Hole, WY ~ where to go? (Read 26 times)

AT-runner

Tim

My best friend died 4 years ago from ALS.  Not only was he a running buddy, but was a great guy with a great family (I'm the God-father to his youngest).  His wife is remarrying in late September and chose Jackson Hole, WY as their location.  We are thinking about making a nice vacation out of it, so...

1) Where to fly?  Salt Lake, Jackson Hole, etc?

2) Where to stay?  We like camping, lodges, B&B's.

3) Where to visit for sightseeing?  What is within easy drive?

4) Where to run?  Goes along with #3.

I know some on this site are familiar with this area, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

AT- very envious of your trip!  I've done this trip in late September and it's a great time of year, just before many parts of the park (Teton) closes for the season.  Here are my thoughts:

1) I've flown into Jackson.  Small airport with limited and expensive flights.  Still, it was nice to just get there and not have a 4 or 5 hour drive, especially at a time of year that weather is not predictable.

2)  Depending on your specific dates, Jackson Lodge will probably still be open and I'd recommend it, if you want to spend time in the park and wake to an amazing view across the lake.  If stayed in one of the rooms in the 'motels'.  It was pretty cool to find moose walking outside your door.  It wasn't fancy, but clean, comfortable and quiet.

3)  Depending on how long you get to visit, I'd highly encourage seeing Yellowstone NP.  Between Teton and Yellowstone, you can easily fill a week and more.  The list is endless.

4)  Endless trail options, and I did some solo running around the trails near Jackson Lodge, only to find out at breakfast the rangers highly discouraged this at that time of year.  Brown bears were still very active and regularly seen, even in frequently human traveled areas (probably enjoying the peace from summer tourists before hibernation).  I also had to yield to bull moose resting in the middle of the trails.   Friends ended up running on the road (still scenic, but not the same).  Options in town and trails near there may be much different.  I didn't have time (was there for work) to do any of the backcountry trails.

Have fun!

NorthernHarrier

Sounds great, can I join you? 

In the high country you may/can already be getting some big snow. You probably don't want to hear about snow anymore, do you? A classic epic run is the Teton Crest loop. You can look it up on Fastest Known Times and there will be a map but it has always been high on my list to do. It's about a 50k. I know a guy who did it and it was epic.

You can take the boat ride across Jenny lake and there are a couple trails that head straight up from there along with a trail around Jenny to get back to your car. I'm too lazy to go get my maps right now but I will in a bit and I'll PM you.

The southwest corner of Yellowstone is accessible easily from where you will be and that region is called the Bechler section or waterfall corner. Many good trails, big mountain waterfalls, hot springs, and low Grizzly numbers. Sounds good,eh?  Yellowstone is loaded with great trail running thruout and as you are already up on a plateau the climbs in there are not anything as brutal as some other mountain areas.

I have been out there a number of times so I'll look into my notes. Oh yeah, you must have pizza and beer at the Mangy Moose in Wilson or the trip is a fail!

Finally Sept. is the absolute best time out there as a lot of the tourist are gone and no mosquitoes which can be unbearable in the Yellowstone backcountry at times.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If you're looking for something a little more rustic than Jackson Lodge, check out Signal Mountain Lodge and Cabins, also in the Grand Tetons NP right on Jenny Lake. I preferred the Tetons being less crowded than Yellowstone, though late September is after the tourist season so you shouldn't have the traffic jams and congestion on the main roads.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the input.  Now we need to sit down and make some plans.  Might fly into Salt Lake and visit our niece and drive from there.  Wedding is on a Tuesday (9/23), so we'll have at least 2 weekends to catch some sights.  We tend to like more rustic lodges and we try to avoid tourist traps as much as possible.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Chnaiur

I've been to JH 3 times in Winter, and Yellowstone once in summer. Truly amazing places!

1) We drove from Park City, and it took 6 hours of very boring wasteland. I recommend you fly. I've always connected in Denver.

4) Off-beat suggestion: I have very fond memories of climbing into Avalanche Canyon to the west of Jenny Lake on Skis. We put our tent just above the headwall by the lake:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7549978,-110.8408519,15z/data=!5m1!1e4

The waterfall was frozen in winter, but I bet it is a really beautiful place in summer.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k