Trailer Trash

What's Your Excuse Fridaily? (Read 18 times)

AT-runner

Tim

The XC team I coached had a surprise finisher yesterday. Tommy has been battling cancer for a year, and ran yesterdays race. If you want to feel good, read the story and watch the video.  The very pregnant assistant coach in the picture ran for me, as did her brother who is now the head coach.  This kid is tough.  What the article didn't say is that as a sophomore, he ran sub 18 minute 5k times. So yesterday's race was almost double his PR.

No run today.  Trails tomorrow. Hope to push it up to 7 or 8 miles.

QOTD:  Got ant favorite quotes or mantras?  "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."  "Life's a journey not a destination."

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Happy Friday folks. It's a minimum mile day for me, which I'll do later. Tweaked a muscle in my back yesterday, probably at yoga. Hopefully it will be back to normal quickly as I have a race Sunday.

qotd: No-- I like reading them (or occasionally repeat them), but I cannot for the life of me remember them well enough to share or quote in a meaningful way.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ran 5 last night and then watched an absolutely horrible football game.  Can I ya tell which team I like?

AT: I cannot watch the video now as I think I might shed a tear or two.  Will watch later though.

QOTD: I used a bible verse when I ran xc in high school that got me through a lot of runs and races.  It has also helped me get through some tough spots in some longer runs in the last few years: "Those who wait on the Lord, will renew their strength. They will mount up with wings as eagles.  They will run and not be weary; they will walk and not faint."

Have a great day and weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

AT: I cannot watch the video now as I think I might shed a tear or two.  Will watch later though.

Yes, you will.  I did just reading the story.

I was trying to go yesterday, but had this computer install take forever and it wasn't 100% he was running yesterday or next Tuesday, so I'm really sorry I missed it. To see the other schools football team line up at the finish was a classy move by their coach and AD.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Nice story. I hope the kid comes out well after his remaining procedures. I think all of us runners understand the push, drive, and resolve to run no matter what.

No run today. Just PT later, and about 4 miles of walking counting dog walks and mowing. I did have a fairly ok, acceptable run last night on the trails of green lane. Just 5 miles, a shortened version of my 7 mile easier loop on the north side of the lake. Still some soreness around the quad but I had moments where I did not notice it much at all. It was good to be out there, and while 58 minutes is slow for this loop it's better than nothing.

QOTD: I tend to think of song lyrics a lot... such as "In the Light" by Zeppelin, "Fearless" by Pink Floyd,  or "Marathon" by RUSH. The Zeppelin one is my favorite. Got me through that first Laurel Highland's race where the weather and my feet went south.

And if you feel that you can't go on
            And your will's sinkin' low
            Just believe and you can't go wrong
            In the light you will find the road

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Well thanks to Sandy and DC I now have two tunes floating in my head competing for time.  After thinking about my favorites from the '60s and DC saying about Seasons in the Sun I just had to log onto Youtube.  Somehow I ended up listening to Peter, Paul and Mary sing "Puff the Magic Dragon" followed by Marie Osmond  singing "Paper Roses".  Should be a good bike ride today . Of course there are far worse songs to have stuck in my head.

Looking at heading out for a nice 25-30 miles on the bike in a little bit.  Unless I get too bogged down with getting things ready for vacation, but I really want to get this ride in.

AT - Great story and video. I wish the press, especially the national press, would follow a lot more stories like that.  It's always great to see someone who just doesn't up and quit. Thanks for posting that.

QOTD: " Lead follow or get the hell out of the way"  " The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"  "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country".

The first two are one that have really come to the forefront of my thinking over the past several years. The first at work when people stand around looking at a sick patient but not doing anything to help. The second one is for both work and in my personal life as it seems more and more people just want to cower down and be afraid of everything in life.

The last one is one that I've been thinking about a lot lately because it seems that everyone wants the guberment to do something for them.

Sandy-2

AT, thanks for passing along the info. Terrific that his teammates are so supportive, but really special that other teams were right there as well.

SRD for me today.  I was planning out a run for tomorrow up at the state park or at something called the Lone Star Trail near me but both are officially closed due to cleanup efforts from Harvey.  I guess there are some downed trees.  We didn't get a lot of wind during the storm, but of course tons of rain (I think the final tally near my house was 30 inches), so the downed trees near me were from them toppling over - roots and all.

qotd: I sometimes think of the quote "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" when setting off on long runs.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

great story AT- pray for a very happy ending for that youngster!

Tiny E and I were up early and got 3-ish miles in; smoke was better- in  the Moderate range

qotd: "Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, it knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're the lion or a gazelle-when the sun comes up, you'd better be running"

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I slept this morning. I have a 6 hour run planned after work. I'll probably start around 6 and to until midnight.

QOTD: I can't think of anything right now.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

4 miles with the running group... which consisted of me and another woman...plus my mutts of course.  We have a friend who started the Tahoe 200  48 minutes ago.

Qotd:  it is better to trust and be disappointed then to make yourself miserable worrying about it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄