Trailer Trash

Mr. President Monday (Read 18 times)

LB2

SRD.

QOTD: Non running question: Do you believe that life exists in other places outside of our planet? I don't mean like single cell life; I mean like intelligent life with communities, etc.

This question came to me during the Mardi Gras parade on Saturday, which really makes "intelligent life" a relative concept. Nevertheless, I wonder what is out there beyond what we can see or where we have explored. My answer is that I do not know, which is really the only answer I think anyone could come up with. I only come up with additional questions: Where is our planet on the continuum of a life cycle of a planet or species? If there are other places, how do the human equivalent species get along with one another? Do they run? Do they have IPA's? Do they measure distances in miles or something that is about the same length? Do they have super powers? Do they have to remember passwords for computers!?!, etc.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Walking day for me.  Will walk outside after work. My right knee is a bit sore from slipping around on some muddy roads over the weekend, so plan on easier walking pace tonight.

QOTD:  Being a big nerd, I could talk about this for hours. A 2013 study suggests there could be 100 billion "Earth Like" planets that could support "life". If you just play the numbers, there has to be many that could support intelligent life forms.  Since running for fun and fitness is a new concept in our evolutionary cycle (used to run as means to get food), I don't know if other planets would have runners, but since medicinals, including alcohol, have been with us since the beginning of humankind, I hope the aliens are drinkers.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

SRD. Working a 24 hour shift.

QOTD:  I come from a very conservative Christian background.  My church would be appalled that you even ask .  Their stance would be that we are the only ones that exist.  For myself I don't really know and find that attitude to be just a little arrogant.

I do think that this world was created by God for his pleasure, although I think he's been kicking himself in the butt ever since he made the mistake of creating humans to mess everything up.  At the same time I think there is a good possibility that there are other planets with intelligent life forms.  If God is all powerful why could he not create other planets and other life forms with other types of civilizations? I could easily see that it's entirely possible that there are multiple worlds with "people" all created in a big experiment to see which one can last the longest or perform the best.  If that would be the case then there would most likely be vast differences between our design and theirs.

Even if, perchance, we are the result of random evolution then again it's very possible that there are other life forms out there. In that case they too would have "evolved" so I think the chances of them being close to what we are would be very slim.

If there are other life forms out there I'm not really sure I would like to see any interaction between us and them. I think the chance of there being a lot of conflict would be greater then a time of peace.

LB2

QOTD:  I come from a very conservative Christian background.  My church would be appalled that you even ask .  Their stance would be that we are the only ones that exist.  For myself I don't really know and find that attitude to be just a little arrogant.

I come from the same background. I agree that, based on what we can observe through science, it could be conceived as quite arrogant indeed. Most of the people I deal with on a daily basis go into a tailspin when the word "evolution" is mentioned. I try to explain that evolution and creation have absolutely nothing to do with one another: One is based on observable scientific evidence and the other is based on religious faith. They are not mutually exclusive, at least not in my mind. Unfortunately, people have a hard time having a conversation about them. If you mention your faith to some, they automatically assume you completely disavow science, and if you mention evolution to the other, you are an atheist. Neither is necessarily true.

We were created to evolve into the most efficient form of life that we can be. We have a long, long way to go as a species. Hopefully, we won't eliminate ourselves before we reach something better than we are.

LB2

Daydreamer1

. I try to explain that evolution and creation have absolutely nothing to do with one another:

The way I look at it is that they do not necessarily need to be mutually exclusive. I can't see why the couldn't have been created in a basic form and then the creator had fun playing with his handiwork, no matter what that creator's reasons were.  That's where I differ from so many people that I associate with. They get very uptight when discussing creation/evolution in part, I believe, because they take themselves and life in general too seriously.

It's also because of my views like this that I could easily see that there are other planets with intelligent life forms.

FWIW, sometimes I think that God is just a bored college student in his world and we are a science experiment .  In the end it really doesn't change a thing if you believe in God. It still comes down to, ya gotta follow some rules!!!   So all those other worlds out there are created by other deities (Gods contemporaries) and are competing with us to see if they can please their master better than us................Which might just mean that in the end there will be one big trail race.....................Us against 30 or 40 other planets .

So maybe the real question should be, if we host the race, which trails are we going to choose .

Sandy-2

SRD for me today. Crazy thunderstorms here early this morning then lots of rain. Then I spent the rest of the day installing a few faucets and doing stuff around the house.

qotd: I think just based on probabilities there must be more than us around.  I also grew up going to church as a kid, but we were always taught evolution, maybe it was a northern thing.  Down here in Tx there are quite a few with the....  opposite view.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Decided to take a day off.

qotdBlush've been reading sci-fi since junior high. I get more a sense that there may be other life in the universe from that than I do from reading all the UFO stuff and Eric von Daniken.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.